pinpointer yes or no!!

ROCKO37

Hello all,

was just wondering how importent a pinpointer is to some ppl and what kind to get or stay away form..thanks

When you cannot see the item you extracted, it makes all the difference to pin point it in the plug.(:-)

I've owned several, but never used a single one. They came with some of the detectors I bought.

Personally I've never had the need for one, but I can see where they could be an asset. I've been detecting long enough that my pinpointing, via the detector coil, is dead on, and I know just where the target is. Now that I'm getting older, I do have a problem seeing the target once I get it recovered. But then I don't think a pinpointer would help with that issue.

They help you spend less time digging, which results in more time hunting, which results in more finds! :bouncy:

Pinpointers and Knee-pads are essentials to me. Hunting with and without is like night and day.... seriously. 100% yes.

Pin Pointer

Once I got one it made life easier. It is just a personal choice, do you really need one probably not. But once you have it you will not give it up. My 2 cents.

I've owned several, but never used a single one. They came with some of the detectors I bought.

Now that I'm getting older, I do have a problem seeing the target once I get it recovered. But then I don't think a pinpointer would help with that issue.

Yes it would help.........I don't MD without my pinpointer.

They are a waste of time for me. I get a beep put my detector on the ground dig a plug and waive the plug over the coil if no beep I dig alittle deeper. Time I take a seperate pinpointer out of my pocket turn it on find the target and put the pinpointer back in my pocket I could of found several more items by the way I do it now. Steve.

I have a Garrett pro-pinpointer, and I won't leave home without it. Cuts search time 10fold. Love it!!!!!:cool:

I have a Garrett pro-pinpointer, and I won't leave home without it. Cuts search time 10fold. Love it!!!!!:cool:

Ditto on that comment, definitely worth the investment. Less time per extraction (I am learning not to use "dig") means more finds.

Well for me its not so much a matter of not knowing exactly where the target is, but seeing it. I'm not sure a pinpointer would detect some of the tiny stuff I find in the first place.

smalls.jpg

I won't leave the house without my Vibraprobe 580.

Was a 570,sent it in for the upgrade and extended warranty,I love it!!!:)

I would definitely recommend a pinpointer. A pinpointer really speeds up recovery time. I would recommend the DetectorPro Pistol Probe pinpointer. It will pick up a coin at 4+" and will find even the smallest of targets (targets I wouldn't have seen without it). My MD will pinpoint dead on, but the hand held pinpointer still makes a HUGE difference.

I said earlier that I would not hunt without my pinpointer. After reading some of the posts.....I wondered why some of you would not use one:?:.

After some thought, I have changed my mind.

If hunting in the sand and using a plastic digger/scoop, I could see how a pinpointer could take more time when all you have to do is wave the scoop over the coil to see if the coin is in it.

But, I mainly hunt in harder packed dirt and have to use a metal digger. After making my cut and folding the plug back it is sometimes hard to detect if the coin is in the plug or in the hole. Without a pinpointer I would have to either cut a circle plug and wave it over the coil or pick up the MD to wave over the plug and hole. I don't like cutting circle plugs, because the grass will often die.

So, if you mainly hunt sand then you could get better value with a good sand scoop. But, if you hunt dirt I feel that a pinpointer is a must have.

I only have so much time to devote to this hobby. I'm not interested in playing in the dirt any more than necessary...it wastes my time.

I won't leave home without one. The only exception, of course, is beach hunting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom