Anyone hunt rivers or streams?

My mother's most unusual find was at the lip of a lake in South Jersey. It was a park, though rather lonely when we went back in '74. She found the smallest silver coin ever minted, I forget the name of it, and it was smaller than a dime. It was totally blackened by age and dated in the 1830's.

My sister detected the shore of Salem, Mass. , at low tide, and found pieces of Colonial smoking pipes, a broken ring, and an old nickel. Other interesting, nonvaluable artifacts, also.

--Duse

I tried working a rather large sand bar in the Brazos River yesterday. Let me know if you need any beer cans.:D

I contemplated hunting the shore of the Brazos behind my parents house in Granbury, never did get around to it, way too hot down there. In VA I have yet to hunt anywhere near a river, and hardly hit the beach.

Rivers would be good at old crossings, picnic areas, boat launches and beaches... Old crossings often had a small general store as well... check Sanborn maps.... RickO

I live near an old ferry site on the Brazos. One side is a state park (Washington on the Brazos) and the other side is private property.

Rivers would be good at old crossings, picnic areas, boat launches and beaches... Old crossings often had a small general store as well... check Sanborn maps.... RickO

yeah that is a good idea rick! it seems like the old locations are called "joes ferry" or something like that. there are a few places like that round the colorado river.

rivers, creeks, beaches

I have found utensils, made of coin silver, coins, rings and odd things in creeks, (at natural crossings) and old swimming areas, and beaches. When searching beaches or water area you have to tune the MD (groundhog) with the coil on the ground, or it want find targets.

I wish I could find a place where a river/creek dammed up. It would be an awesome place to detect. I am really interested in river/stream detecting so if anyone has any tips or advice, please post it.

I want to detect around the Missouri and the Kaw, because there were quite a few boats that sunk while delivering cargo. One thing about rivers, or at least around these parts, is that they have changed course dramatically over the years; when the steamboat Arabia was found and excavated, it was no longer in the river, but in a farm field quite a ways from the river's present location.
http://www.1856.com/

Back
Top Bottom