1st post in a long time - 1950's farmhouse finds

Old Prospector

Hey all - I've been away for a long time...too long! Life has been happening - glad to see some familiar names and a lot of new faces. The content on this forum is still spectacular!

Anyways, I have been using USGS topo maps and Google Earth to identify older structures that are no long around. I headed out to a site yesterday that showed a building on the 1960 edition but it was gone by 1968 - so knew it would be nothing or relatively “old” stuff. Happy for the latter.

It was moderately tough swinging with the thick, high weeds and grass but not impossible. I was able to pull four wheaties and a near "silver" - 1942 nickel, without the mint mark so no luck - thanks ToySoldier for pointing that out! Was really hoping for a bonafide silver coin but it proved elusive. I believe the ring is silver, and the broach may be but struggling to tell the difference between silver and aluminum. Doesn't seem tarnished enough to be silver.

A few other interesting items - two sets of three matching buttons found at different times. One of the buttons still had the purple beads and thread - pretty neat. Also found two aluminum toy coins - 1954 and 1956, a part of a toy gun, handle of a novelty Oklahoma spoon, and a big thin hinged tin. The "almost happy dance" was finding the remnants of a wallet or purse - just the zippers, button, plastic photo sleeves, and hint of red fabric. No coins though...:tissue:

Anyways, it was rewarding to organically identify a site and save some items! Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Site.jpg
    Site.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 379
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 385
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 365
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 364
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
Hey all - I've been away for a long time...too long! Life has been happening - glad to see some familiar names and a lot of new faces. The content on this forum is still spectacular!

Nice assortment of finds and that looks like a nice place to dectect. I like the case. Is there a design on the front?

The nickel might not be silver. They were in mid production of the 1942 when it switched to silver. It needs to have the large mint mark above Monticello.

It's nice sometimes when you know you will either find nothing, or old stuff. I feel like it makes you target a lot more suspenseful, rather than digging 20 pull tabs and each new tone gets less thrilling. Great finds! And good research.

More photos

I made a couple more trips back to this site - I've hit it pretty hard by now so I think I've rescued most of the 1950's Americana that the ground has to offer.

Ended up finding a total of 8 wheaties (1928 oldest) and a nickel -no dimes, quarters, or clad. Found a sterling ID bracelet, a bunch of the same buttons (spread all over, not is one spot - weird), some spoons (one says silver plated), an old lighter, tons of shotgun shells and bullet casings, and an array of toy parts (a horses leg, airplane tail wing (?), and a baby doll arm - not metallic but popped out of a hole - creepy).

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 1-18-21 1.jpg
    1-18-21 1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 200
  • 1-18-21 2.jpg
    1-18-21 2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 1-18-21 4.jpg
    1-18-21 4.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 1-18-21 3.JPG