Healthy Beach Hunt!

Compass

Forum Supporter
On Wednesday I met Romy (from this forum) at the beach. The elevated surf was coming in pretty hard and putting targets within range of our detectors. As I mentioned in a recent post, I often like to start my hunts at high tide to see what is going on and seeing the waves hitting the existing cut and shooting into the air was a beautiful sight!
Romy wasn't able to stay long but I had committed to staying until low tide. Of course I wanted to find some gold but I also wanted to test myself to see how far I have recovered from my surgery 8 weeks ago. I am happy to say that, as far as metal detecting goes, I feel close to 100%- my endurance is pretty much back to where it was before surgery and I was able to dig lots of targets with just the "normal" aches and pains afterwards. :D
As the tide began to go out I started to find some jewelry but several pieces were heart-breakers. First was a silver chain that looked good when I found it but now looks questionable. Then I scooped out an opal stone ring that turned out to be plated. Next was a filigree ring that was weighty and looked like it could be platinum or white gold but it was silver.
picture.php

But the biggest disappointment was a rectangular, golden, 12 gram pendant that felt wonderful in my hands until I saw the words "stainless steel" on it. It is a beautiful piece of jewelry with the "Lord's Prayer" printed on one side. It's 18K gold plated and retails for about $30 from a company called "SteelTime". Still a nice find but for a moment I thought I had scored big time. :no:
picture.php

I did wind up finding a small, 10K gold ring and a slightly heavier 14K gold earring along with 2 more silver rings and a silver bracelet so it was a nice variety. I also unearthed several pieces of costume jewelry. All in all, a very satisfying hunt and perhaps the start of a great detecting season. I went back the next day and found about 9 more dollars in change and 1 tungsten carbide band but the beach was sanding back in already. On day 2, as an unexpected treat, I ran into forum member and hunter extraordinaire, Slim Pickins.
picture.php

GL&HH!

Last edited:
Think you might have passed your fitness test that would have killed some a lot younger than you brother :lol:
Congrats on the yellow and silver George. Got to be a couple of big honkers waiting for ya next hunt :yes:

Should be some big surf coming from my way in a few days.

That submarine looks old might be worth a few bucks too :yes:

Ha ha! Awesome, looks like your running good now, happy for you.... Big congrats!

Your sub looks so much better than mine....:D

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20160706_131705.jpg
    IMG_20160706_131705.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 641
Awesome hunt George....that is a kiiler hunt !! Congrats on the silver and double gold. Are you sure you are feeing better after digging all those targets? 😁😁

Well....From the looks of it, you are officially off of 'light duty'! :laughing: Thats some stuff there! Congratulations on your recovery and the finds!

:dingding: That's awesome hunting right there! Did Romy dig barefoot again? :lol:

Think you might have passed your fitness test that would have killed some a lot younger than you brother :lol:
Congrats on the yellow and silver George. Got to be a couple of big honkers waiting for ya next hunt :yes:

Should be some big surf coming from my way in a few days.

That submarine looks old might be worth a few bucks too :yes:
Thanks G! During my recovery I was walking several miles a day and I believe that this was the key to building up my endurance for these all day hunts. I hope the sub is worth a few bucks- I think I paid $30 for it! :lol:
I bought it for a mascot since I served on a US Navy submarine from '77 to '81. I'll replace it with a "found" mascot someday but I don't find lead toys on my local beaches. :no:

Ha ha! Awesome, looks like your running good now, happy for you.... Big congrats!

Your sub looks so much better than mine....:D

<°)))>{
Thanks Ice, Well...at least you found your sub with a metal detector- I found mine with an internet search. :roll:

Awesome hunt George....that is a kiiler hunt !! Congrats on the silver and double gold. Are you sure you are feeing better after digging all those targets? 😁😁
Thanks Jeff, Pretty much back to the same routine- after a long hunt I take ibuprofen at bedtime, sleep, take more ibuprofen, more or less good to go. :roll:

Wow, that's your normal level? I have to work out more...
Thanks Z, If the targets are there I will push myself hard to get all I can because the window of opportunity may close with the next tide. It's like running a marathon- you hit a wall and want to stop but you know you will regret it later. The first beach I went to had "ZERO" targets so I tried another beach, then another until I found one that produced. :yes:

Good to see you're feeling better! Congrats on the gold and silver! :)
Thanks X-Terra, It's great to be back. The silver and gold is icing on the cake. :yes:

Well....From the looks of it, you are officially off of 'light duty'! :laughing: Thats some stuff there! Congratulations on your recovery and the finds!
Thanks Mud, You are more accurate than you know. I go back to work on Monday. :grin:

Excellent hunting there, congrats!
Thank you cellrdwellr! Felt like old times! :yes:

WoW, was that some sort of 6 million dollar man type surgery?, Lol. Piles of targets like that show a full day of PI hunting. I still have and use my DF, but the Xcal gets used the most these days.
Awesome finds on the gold and silver...and the sub is a way cool find. W2G
DL

Thats a huge assortment of finds compass. Nice gold and and silver! Glad your back to 100%.

Back
Top Bottom