• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

CTX 3030 High trash/ferrous coin?

For sites littered with iron, I usually run combined with ferrous coin. For fairly clean ground or sites with non-ferrous trash, 50CO and high trash.

On really good sites I'll cover it using one mode, then detect it again using the other.

Some good info here:
https://www.minelab.com/treasure-talk/ctx-3030-target-separation-more-than-a-random-choice

Thanks a lot! Now that I've got some good hours in with the machine, I want to tinker with settings a bit. Baby steps lol happy hunting!

Thanks a lot! Now that I've got some good hours in with the machine, I want to tinker with settings a bit. Baby steps lol happy hunting!
I don't think you would be wrong if you just stuck to using what you were using. It was working rather well for you.

I find it more time consuming to fiddle with settings. It takes you out of your comfort zone and really spend way more time on iffy targets rather than using a familiar program and running with what you are use to using.

Some things I do is almost always switch from normal to long, smooth or pitch hold, depending on what I select with it.

In high trash or ground coin selection, I like to reduce the sensitivity to the negative side and research an area that I have already hunted. I like to use the ID panel and set slightly lower than the suggested setting in those two selective conditions.

I like 50 conductive tone when hunting for nickels. It separates the lower nickel area targets better than using a distinguished combined tone bin setting.

Target trace buildup distinguishes whether I dig a iffy signal rather than take time switching program selections to search the same target. Often, I can have it out of the ground quicker than scanning with multiple options.

I hope it helps and look forward to reading your posts.

what do you prefer and why? Thanks and happy hunting!

What you will notice,,,especially over milder ground,,using ferrous coin,,you can get away with more disc at the bottom end and still pull finds.
Ferrous number doesn't roam much,,,like the Etrac.

High trash,,,ferrous numbers will act a lot like Etrac does,,they will roam more,,especially on deeper targets.

What you will notice,,,especially over milder ground,,using ferrous coin,,you can get away with more disc at the bottom end and still pull finds.
Ferrous number doesn't roam much,,,like the Etrac.

High trash,,,ferrous numbers will act a lot like Etrac does,,they will roam more,,especially on deeper targets.

This post is from earlier this year but worth dredging up...be AWARE that using High Trash is very effective but any disc you have set up HAS to be pretty open on the FE side to accommodate the wandering FE readings,they can get quite high on the deep targets as TN stated. Great post and something every CTX user needs to know for SURE!

On trashy and iron littered sites (when I'm looking for old coins), I use ferrous coin with combined audio, recovery fast off and recovery deep on. I haven't experimented much with high trash, so ferrous coin is what I'm using right now.

I've only had the CTX for a few months now, but I think I'm slowly starting to get the hang of it. Yesterday for example, I learnt how to and also added my first find point. This machine can do some pretty cool things! :)

On trashy and iron littered sites (when I'm looking for old coins), I use ferrous coin with combined audio, recovery fast off and recovery deep on. I haven't experimented much with high trash, so ferrous coin is what I'm using right now.

I've only had the CTX for a few months now, but I think I'm slowly starting to get the hang of it. Yesterday for example, I learnt how to and also added my first find point. This machine can do some pretty cool things! :)

It is VERY cool! If you learn to use everything it has to offer to your advantage you will really be a happy CTX owner! It's just unreal with its ID capabilities and features. I LOVE the CLOCK!:grin: Quite honestly I think it's too much for some who have tried it. It's a lot to take in...

I'm going to be the odd guy out here, I never did have much luck with ferrous coin mode yet. I stick mostly with multi conductive with just a little discrimination and hunt slowly and still pull lots of good targets of of the iron and the junk.

I'm going to be the odd guy out here, I never did have much luck with ferrous coin mode yet. I stick mostly with multi conductive with just a little discrimination and hunt slowly and still pull lots of good targets of of the iron and the junk.

You're not the odd guy out,I use HT as well most of the time. I get too many false coin indications in FECO separation. HT also seems to spread the CO spectrum a bit which I like!

I keep mine mostly in ground coin & 50 conductive tone. I find the other selections not seeing what the GC does.

If its a high iron site I put fast on.

Need to do some more comparisons but seems to work where I am.

what do you prefer and why? Thanks and happy hunting!

I dont like to use high trash and for sure not fast on. Fast on will degrade even good signals sometimes.

Slowing down your swing speed in heavy iron and trash works very very well! Sometimes you have to all but crawl but believe me, it WILL pay off.

Back
Top Bottom