Tesoro Cortes or other model

j_W73

I am still looking to buy my first detector..
Still haven't decided what I want to get
I haven't looked much at the tesoros because only the higher end models have VIS ID..
From reading it seems like the VIS ID is not really needed for this hobby.. but it is very appealing bell and whistle to a noob..

So hearing so many great things about the tesoros, how good is the Cortes..
What is good and bad with this machine..
What will I get from this machine that others can't do or offer..
What won't I get..
From what I see it looks like the Tesoros don't do selective notching..am I correct??
It seems that most people go with the lower models like the Vaquero , Cibola, compadre, or Silver Umax..

If I went with a non VIS ID tesoro.. it seems like the Vaquero would fit the bill. How does this machine compare to the Cortes and other non Tesoro machines.

The Cortes is about the only Tesoro model that I haven't used. I have heard that it is overpriced and that is a so so detector when it comes to display type detectors. It does have a manual adjustable ground balance but it is only for all metal mode, the disc. mode is factory set. I believe that the DeLeon would give you the same performance for less $$$. The Vaquero is a very good detector, I call it a good all around machine. I have heard that the Vaquero is deeper than the Cortes.

I owned a cortez. Didnt really like it. I had it for about a month. It could have been me to. I just didnt like it

ID units

I started out this hobby last year with an ID display Bounty Hunter and then a Garrett Ace 250. Spent more time looking at the displays trying to figure out what was down there than digging. Got a Tesoro Compadre and liked it much better. No Bells and whistles just a coin and jewelry finding little son of a gun. I would recommend a non ID unit especially for a beginner. JMO

I use both a VDI and non-VDI machine interchangeably. If my VDI machine breaks (the Discovery 3300) I am probably going to go the non-VDI Tesoro route with a Cibola or such.

I own a Cortes and when it rings 88 to 95 you can be assured it is sometniong good,from a wheatie to great silver. I also hunt with an E-Trac
amd I wouldn't give either one of them. Just my 2C worth.

I own a Cortes and when it rings 88 to 95 you can be assured it is sometniong good,from a wheatie to great silver. I also hunt with an E-Trac
amd I wouldn't give either one of them. Just my 2C worth.

I had trouble finding buttons. Have you had the same problem? My son uses an Ace 250 and was finding buttons so i asked him to not dig the next one and let me see if i could hit it. I had to really turn it down to hit it then tried that setting. All i dug was iron after that. Like i said i tried it for a month and didnt like it. It could have been me to. I sometimes get frustrated with new machines. I did buy a Minelab XS and am really enjoying it. Took some time to figure it out but wow

cortes

I have been using the cz5 for years but it loves deep iron, heavy,not balanced as good,only 2 coils the 8 inch and the 10.5 inch coil which is rly heavy and not balanced.Once I started using the Cortes I wished I would have got one years earlier.I find as many coins with the cortes as I did with the cz and my arms are not tired . when the cortes rings in 95 I always know its a coin and I call it all the time and I am always right. The screen could be bigger but this is because of all the features on the faceplate. The notch system works rly well and the best part is the sum mode, people complain about the sum mode,come on guys how hard is it to hit the spring switch just a thumb away and its mostly right all the time. I bring the cz and cortes together when I coin hunt and the cortes has found every target that the cz5 has found with ease. The cortes will not airtest as good as the cz5 but it finds all the coins the cz5 has found 10 inches is not un common for the cortes in mild soil. There are many different coils that can be used with the cortes and the 13 inch coil is very deep and it also airtest a couple inches more than the stock coil.There is also many aftermarket coils that will go deep as well. The 13 inch coil as almost as light as the 9x8 coil but much deeper. Plus with a life time warranty how can you beat that.I use a rechargeable battery pack so my cortes weighes about 2.7 lbs and you can swing it all day long without arm or back hurting.Several guys I hunt with purchased one once they seen I can find everything they find with there cz. We all kept our czs due to the cortes does not hunt as well as the cz on wet sand beaches,but on dry sand or dirt hunting it is hard to beat. I have not tried supertune yet but I may this spring I heard it will get another inch.

I ended up getting after my post a used Deleon and love it! Even though I am primarily a water hunter now it is my primary machine when I do dry sand hunts with the 3x18" clean sweep coil. It is a machine that is simple and I love to use and has more than paid for itself. Would definitely but again.

I started out this hobby last year with an ID display Bounty Hunter and then a Garrett Ace 250. Spent more time looking at the displays trying to figure out what was down there than digging. Got a Tesoro Compadre and liked it much better. No Bells and whistles just a coin and jewelry finding little son of a gun. I would recommend a non ID unit especially for a beginner. JMO

right! a compadre,or the mojave! both "sleepers" tons of fun,and both coin and jewelry vacuums,and dirt balls cheap too!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom