The Best Find Yet!

Chris Crawford

OK, so I know to many of you this would not be a big deal, but just a couple of days ago I found my first silver. It was a mercury dime.

I had to travel to another town for a couple of days, and we were staying at my sisters house. I wouldn't think her house was all that old, as far as old houses go, but she does live in an old part of town.

When I got off I took my detector out into her back yard and started randomly swinging it around. The first thing that I found was a 1983 penny. Then probably about 6 feet away, I got an interesting 25-26 signal on my EQ800. I thought it would probably be another penny, but to my surprise, when I turned the dirt over, I could see something shinny. That's when I started getting excited. I figured it was silver, and it was small like a dime, so could it be a mercury? I wiped the mud off, and it was! I was super pumped.

I still can't believe that I found it, and I keep replaying the moment over and over in my mind. I didn't find anything else really interesting the rest of the weekend, but I guess it just goes to show that pretty much anything could be buried anywhere.

Attachments

• Photo Jan 17, 6 16 21 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 17, 6 16 21 PM.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 437
Thats a Wonderful First Silver coin find! You will never forget it! 20yrs from now you could walk right back to that exact location, either physically or in your memory! Thats how deep this Sport bites into a guy! So yeah, its a Big Lifetime Deal! Thanks for sharing your first Merc with us! :cheers3:

Congrats! Mercs seem to be a favorite. I know they're one of mine, and I was pumped when I finally saw that winged Liberty head instead of Roosevelt. Even though some wheat pennies are older, digging any Merc feels to me a little more like digging history. I doubt most people today could identify it, or have even held one.

Nice! She's a pretty one, too! 1943 coins are a direct link to the time of WWII. They made the pennies out of steel that year. Nickels had silver in them. Mercury dimes were just called dimes, and were heavily relied on; like dollar bills nowadays. There's a lot to think about when you dig a '43! Congrats on the #1 Merc!

Thats a Wonderful First Silver coin find! You will never forget it! 20yrs from now you could walk right back to that exact location, either physically or in your memory! Thats how deep this Sport bites into a guy! So yeah, its a Big Lifetime Deal! Thanks for sharing your first Merc with us! :cheers3:

Anytime i'm back at one my good spots i can point out where i found every cool piece... although if someone is introduced to me i may forget their name three minutes later. 😁

OK, so I know to many of you this would not be a big deal, but just a couple of days ago I found my first silver. It was a mercury dime.

I had to travel to another town for a couple of days, and we were staying at my sisters house. I wouldn't think her house was all that old, as far as old houses go, but she does live in an old part of town.

When I got off I took my detector out into her back yard and started randomly swinging it around. The first thing that I found was a 1983 penny. Then probably about 6 feet away, I got an interesting 25-26 signal on my EQ800. I thought it would probably be another penny, but to my surprise, when I turned the dirt over, I could see something shinny. That's when I started getting excited. I figured it was silver, and it was small like a dime, so could it be a mercury? I wiped the mud off, and it was! I was super pumped.

I still can't believe that I found it, and I keep replaying the moment over and over in my mind. I didn't find anything else really interesting the rest of the weekend, but I guess it just goes to show that pretty much anything could be buried anywhere.
Just because the house is not old doesnt mean the yard isnt. Hunt the old original neighborhoods in any town & you will find cool old stuff. Congrats on your first silver there will be more to come. Enjoy.

Congrats! Mercs seem to be a favorite. I know they're one of mine, and I was pumped when I finally saw that winged Liberty head instead of Roosevelt. Even though some wheat pennies are older, digging any Merc feels to me a little more like digging history. I doubt most people today could identify it, or have even held one.

So true, my buddy bought a pizza the other day and got a 1945 merc back in his change! Should be a section in school history books on what the US has used in the past, and currently uses for currency. Congrats on the merc!!!!

Congrats Chris on your first Merc. Those feelings of pride a satisfaction will stay with you with every Silver coin you dig. I know as it has never left me in over 1300 dug Silver coins. You know that those feelings are contagious as they spread over to the other finds well. Hope you get to experience it a awful lot. Trapper

Back
Top Bottom