Another take on ROWS or curb strips

marcomo

ROWS (right-of-way strips), commonly known as curb strips, can be fertile ground for detecting. But there are some folks who will take issue with someone detecting in front of their house on property they maintain. A tribal "he doesn't belong here" mentality. Regardless of legality, there are homeowners who can and will make a stink about you hunting those ROWS.

If you detect ROWS, you will be challenged sooner or later. Count on sooner if you are detecting strips in front of occupied houses without talking to the homeowner behind them first. Count on sooner still if you are detecting them during high traffic times. I speak from experience, I hit ROWS hard for multiple years.

A few suggestions (beyond having very thick skin:lol:) to those who may be considering detecting these strips:

#1 - Answer the what are you doing question with the phrase "city owned". As in "metal detecting this city owned right of way strip". Many don't realize that this is city owned property...of course, that's assuming it is city owned property where you are detecting. City owned is the most common, but by no means universal. You can often find out ROW ownership by looking online. I wouldn't suggest asking at city hall. But if you do, don't mention metal detecting unless you want to wind up with a reflexive "we don't want you doing that" from some bureaucrat who wouldn't have given it a thought otherwise.

#2 - Almost invariably, if someone has an issue with you being there, you can tell by the tone of their voice when they first approach you. Saying that you are looking for a lost ring works like a charm to disarm. Have a convincing backstory ready.

#3 - If someone has an issue with you, smile and leave. Get off the block and out of eyesight. Don't argue about having a right to be there. Being smart trumps being right every time. Getting the local governing body to enact an ordinance is typically very easy for a disgruntled resident to do. And cops :police: who want to resolve a resident complaint will sometimes take the "Mexican tourist" attitude: The resident belongs there and if you weren't around, there wouldn't be a problem.

#4 - Watch your step. ROWS are major hot spots for dog poop, a certain percentage of dog walkers apparently think picking up droppings is not required here. When that certain smell follows you from one dig to the next, you've stepped in it. Or worse, kneeled in it.

#5 - Be careful and leave no trace of your retrievals. This is particularly critical for when you are challenged.

#6 - Most people who say something to you will be pleasant. Unless their attitude proves otherwise, look at people who approach you as a resource as opposed to an annoyance. Smile if someone is friendly to you. Smile even more if they're not.

Funny thing is, I never had a man give me any serious bleep. It was always women. The only man who gave me pause was the guy who came out of his house with gun in hand. He didn't point it at me just asked what I was doing. I told him and he just said "Oh OK, I saw you duck down and thought you were messing (not the actual word used) with my car," then turned around and walked back inside. I got away from detecting ROWS in front of occupied houses in fairly short order and just went to vacant homes, businesses on the weekend, churches on Saturday, apartments without onsite managers, etc. The problem with doing them like this is you really aren't detecting much ground. Even though ROW strips have a decent percentage of keepers per square foot, there's usually not much ground to cover with each one.

What I have since realized is that those ROW strips work best for me as great little welcome mats. It's the easiest permission to get from a homeowner, and often leads to permission for the rest of the yard.:clapping:

Over several years, and many curbstrip hunts, three women and three men have given me the attitude over this. One of each were mean and really unpleasant; the others, not too bad. Yep...movin' on. I get it. No problem.
Dozens of others have said nothing, or had a positive conversation with me.
One guy was weird: He stepped out of his front door while I was getting a good nickel signal right in front of his sidewalk. All he did was look straight out ahead, not directly at me, and announced "No digging please", in a loud, clear, firm voice, but with no aggressive attitude. Then he just turned around, and went back inside. I still dug that nickel, but I made sure the plug and grass was cleaned up nicely, and I skipped the rest of that 20 feet or so...for the day.
I play it by ear; avoiding heavy traffic times, getting too close to parked cars, etc.

I got into curbstrips a couple of years ago by hitting all the bus stops downtown, then the apartments where my daughter has lived, some businesses and then decided to hit parade routes this year. In three months I picked up $600 in clad, a couple dozen wheats, 4 or five silver coins and a bunch of junk and silver jewelry...no gold. Mostly parade routes, races, fairs and concerts, lots of recent drops. I'll do more this year when my back heals up and the snow is gone.
Like you I find that most of the guys who stop are curious about what I'm finding. Most women just ignore me, though there is occasionally the old-bat with an uncontrolled ratdog that thinks she's the only one who should be there. The kids are the problem! I am not the pied Piper or an unpaid baby sitter. And I've been approached to find lost jewelry/rings, even found a couple. It's all good.
I've been run off a few times, but I don't mind. I don't need the confrontation. And I NEVER step across the sidewalk onto private property without permission.
Stiffwrist is another curbstrip hunter. He does really well! He probably has some stories.

Fascinating to hear the stories. Everybody who detects seems to have at least one story of an encounter with a complete nut job.

watch out for women

yeah, the women are the ones who spend thousands of hours doing yard work and they are fiercely protective. Most husbands don't give a heck, since about all they do is rake leaves and mow the lawn.

I was just sanding at the curb with my metal detector and she came running out of the house, yelling Hey, hey, what are you doing?. I explained I was hunting for a lost wedding ring and her attitude change 180 degrees. She originally though I had a weed eater. She later talked my head off about things in her life like her recent car crash and medical issues. After a while with no good signals, I thanked her and left. Couldn't take any more of her rambling on.

She was a sweet older lady though.

yeah, the women are the ones who spend thousands of hours doing yard work and they are fiercely protective. Most husbands don't give a heck, since about all they do is rake leaves and mow the lawn.

I was just sanding at the curb with my metal detector and she came running out of the house, yelling Hey, hey, what are you doing?. I explained I was hunting for a lost wedding ring and her attitude change 180 degrees. She originally though I had a weed eater. She later talked my head off about things in her life like her recent car crash and medical issues. After a while with no good signals, I thanked her and left. Couldn't take any more of her rambling on.

She was a sweet older lady though.

Now thats the start of a really good post!, and you cut it off at the knees? I thought it had the potential of going someplace!:laughing::laughing: "Curbstrip Lady, passion baby"

Don't confuse "city-owned" with "right of way". Those are 2 entirely different things. The ROW probably extends well into the homeowners yard (like 20-50') for purposes of utilities/etc.

You can (probably) dig on city-owned, but you cant dig a ROW without the owner's permission. Legally speaking. And of course know your local laws/ords.

eta: I hunt curb strips too as it isn't against any law/ord in my town.

Last edited:
After 40+ yrs. of this: I have long-since given up the glossy notion that I can get every last person on earth to love & adore my hobby. I have come to the harsh realization that not everyone is going to "roll out red carpets" for me. I have grown a thicker skin. I have stopped waiting for everyone else's "permission" and "blessings". If that means going at lower traffic times when said-lookie-lou kill-joys aren't present ? SO BE IT !

There's an elderly couple who walk the streets metal detecting the curb strips in Honolulu. When I say elderly I mean these two (husband and wife) were in their 80's. They told me they got bored just walking and wanted to add something to their daily walks.

This conversation took place in a fairly upscale neighborhood near a mall, a couple of large parks, and a school or two. Prime hunting area according to the gentleman.

I asked them if they were finding much and I was very surprised at what they were finding but I'll always remember the gentleman mentioning how excited some homeowners got because they were detecting the curb strips outside their homes!

Even as harmless as these two are, who were only surface scanning and coin popping (they don't dig plugs anymore), some homeowners felt it necessary to threaten this couple. He said the smart move is just to move on to the next street. They clearly stated its not worth the hassle. Good advice from someone who's been around a while.

Good write up from the OP,,BUT I’m pretty bullheaded,if I know I’m right I’m not leaving..Gotta draw the line,if I left every curbstrip that somone had a problem with me being there I might as well not go out..Nope,I’ve told quite a few people they don’t own it,and when I get threatened with the police I just tell em that’s who told me I’m allowed,go ahead and call.lol...Had one guy say ,””if I don’t own it then I’m not mowing it anymore” ..Told him that’s none of my business,put my headset back on and continued hunting..Most of the time when I see somone I give a nod and keep on going with my headphones on,worst mistake anyone could make is to take the headphones off and explain yourself when you don’t hafto..

There's an elderly couple who walk the streets metal detecting the curb strips in Honolulu. When I say elderly I mean these two (husband and wife) were in their 80's. They told me they got bored just walking and wanted to add something to their daily walks.

This conversation took place in a fairly upscale neighborhood near a mall, a couple of large parks, and a school or two. Prime hunting area according to the gentleman.

I asked them if they were finding much and I was very surprised at what they were finding but I'll always remember the gentleman mentioning how excited some homeowners got because they were detecting the curb strips outside their homes!

Even as harmless as these two are, who were only surface scanning and coin popping (they don't dig plugs anymore), some homeowners felt it necessary to threaten this couple. He said the smart move is just to move on to the next street. They clearly stated its not worth the hassle. Good advice from someone who's been around a while.

Wow, I hope I'm still going that strong in my 80s.

Don't confuse "city-owned" with "right of way". Those are 2 entirely different things. The ROW probably extends well into the homeowners yard (like 20-50') for purposes of utilities/etc.

You can (probably) dig on city-owned, but you cant dig a ROW without the owner's permission. Legally speaking. And of course know your local laws/ords.

More towns than not, that little strip is both right-of-way AND city property.

Here's what the mayor of one town I detect said in the local paper a few years ago:

"City property, or the right-of-way (ROW) is typically the land or space between the curb and the sidewalk. When there's no sidewalk, the ROW may extend into the front yard of the property."

More towns than not, that little strip is both right-of-way AND city property.

Here's what the mayor of one town I detect said in the local paper a few years ago:

"City property, or the right-of-way (ROW) is typically the land or space between the curb and the sidewalk. When there's no sidewalk, the ROW may extend into the front yard of the property."

Yes, that's probably almost always the case. I guess what I was trying to say is don't claim the Right to hunt 'right-of ways' because they often extend well into the property owner's yard. Unlike the curb strip which is almost always owned by the town and thus is fair game legally.

A personal example:
I live in the county now and there aren't curb strips here.
The county has a ROW of 50' from the centerline of the county road which itself is about 25' wide. That means the county can come in and do whatever utility stuff they want for 37.5' onto my land. But that doesn't mean any citizen can do anything on my property and they are subject to prosecution for trespassing if they try. (yes, I know trespass laws are rarely enforced and someone could sneak onto my land and hunt if it he wanted to). Luckily in my case the water pipes that break every other winter are on the other side of the road and my side has the natural gas and electric.

My apologies for any confusion I may have caused anyone.

Country ROW's?? They do indeed exist and should also be respected.

On one occasion I was approached out in the middle of nowhere by the landowner wanting to know what I was doing there!! Well, I thought I had permission.. While busy trying to identify a target I was on one knee listening closely to my pin pointer and paying little attention to my surroundings.

In between beeps I began to think I wasn't alone so I raised my head slightly to pull one earphone back to hear better, as I turned around not an inch from my face was the biggest black guy I think I've ever seen eyeballing my finds pouch and moving closer.

I slowly stood up, apologized and began to move away. He just stood there staring at me as I walked off.

I knew right off that he didn't actually hold title to the property but you don't argue with a 1400 pound black angus bull, fact is...as far as I'm concerned he owns anyplace he's at !!!! (true story)

Tip?? don't carry stuff to eat in your finds pouch unless you're willing to share it.

Last edited:
I also have had great success hunting the strips. I’ve found rings, pocket watches, coins to the 1820s.

Hers are my suggestions.

Yep, “ looking for a ring” works, but I say I’m looking for a little girl’s ring who lost it while walking her dog. Plausible and who hates kids enough to protest?

I often wear a dirty fluorescent vest like a municipal worker would. It must be dirty to work. I stencil some meaningless initials on the back. Hiding in plain view. Plus safety counts.

I avoid well maintained yards. It’s just respectful and the right thing to do.

I work residential areas during the week when people are at work and business areas on the weekend.

Be sure to have a pouch full of trash to show as a sign of good faith and be willing to pick up litter as you do this. Be a good citizen. Property owners and cops appreciate the gesture.

Good write up from the OP,,BUT I’m pretty bullheaded,if I know I’m right I’m not leaving..Gotta draw the line,if I left every curbstrip that somone had a problem with me being there I might as well not go out..Nope,I’ve told quite a few people they don’t own it,and when I get threatened with the police I just tell em that’s who told me I’m allowed,go ahead and call.lol...Had one guy say ,””if I don’t own it then I’m not mowing it anymore” ..Told him that’s none of my business,put my headset back on and continued hunting..Most of the time when I see somone I give a nod and keep on going with my headphones on,worst mistake anyone could make is to take the headphones off and explain yourself when you don’t hafto..

Everybody's got a right to their opinion...even one I totally disagree with:lol:

I've found that vast majority of people who stop to talk and talk with me are curious and friendly. One man's meat is another man's poison. More to the point, one man's resource is another man's annoyance.

I can't see any strategic advantage in ratcheting up the hostility of a PITB by calling and raising their jerkiness.

When that irate person tells their city councilperson or mayor, or maybe they are the councilperson or mayor, things aren't likely to end well.

Think about it from the perspective of someone in city government who doesn't detect. Someone is creating complaints by digging in the right-of-way. Besides conjuring up images of holes and damaged turf they are also likely to consider the utility lines buried in the right-of-way. Potential cost and liability to the city if someone metal detecting damages one of those lines. Also future issues with other homeowners who will complain. People in elected positions have a vested interest in getting things done for the voters they represent. Many politicians, particularly low-level municipal ones, love to pass ordinances. They consider it solving problems and getting things done. You can fill in the rest.

Pick your battles. Being smart trumps being right.

Agreed

In my city the row stops at the sidewalk... me being slightly out of city limits with no sidewalk, it stops at my off street parking. Here they only own 15’ from center line. Since I’m out of city limits. Which puts them at my off street parking. Which means I share property with row but not with city at all. The city line stops at the roads edge. I own to the street except for utilities.

Downtown though it’s to the sidewalk for city and 25’ from center line for row. And it’s shared city/row. So can be hunted by others. If your not a utility worker your tresspassing by stepping off the edge in my parking spot.

Amazing the difference 1 mile can make. Gotta be careful the area your in. I allow neighbors but there’s so many thief’s around I don’t allow anyone else without a utility truck..., just wish I could tell them to go too lol

Nox 600
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

Back
Top Bottom