Need advice

farmermark

Hello, I'm new here and know nothing about detecting. I would like some advice about detecting a bullet in a dead cow. I am a farmer and want to rule out this possibility with two dead cows I have had lately. It's below 0 here with lots of snow and a day or two going by before things are seen so a bullet lodged in a cow would not necessarily be bleeding or even noticeable until some infection occurs. This isn't simple. Advice please. Thank you. Mark

I posted it here too as I really need an answer soon.

Well, if you have a metal detector, and can get it to turn on and detect a piece of lead, like a fishing weight, by waving the lead piece near the bottom of the detector's coil, then you know what to listen for. Now, you rub the coil around the downed cow, listening for a similar sound. Then, I'm guessing, if you don't come across a good metal signal, here comes the hard part: detecting the other side of the cow. Most metal detectors will pick up a lead or lead&copper bullet within a few inches, to maybe about a foot(tops) from the coil. If your cows were shot, there's a good chance the bullet would be lodged under the hide, near the surface, but maybe on the underside, that's frozen to the ground. Of course, a bullet could be lodged deep within the body, where you wouldn't detect it without cutting apart the cow. That's search step 3. Then, of course, a bullet could have passed clean through. Thorough inspection might find entry/exit wounds.
Sorry to hear about your loss, and sure hope it isn't from intentional acts.

I would think any of the $100 detectors would find a bullet at 4 inches. The mid range ones 8 inches. I would think a cow would be easy to detect a bullet since the machine could be run wide open without interference from other metals.
There are clubs everywhere, if you do the facebook thing I bet there are detectorists nearby that would help you out.

I'd look for help, perhaps ringfinders.com

I believe it could be more challenging if the bullet was about halfway through a detector may not get it. And if it was shot with a FMJ and only hit tissue, the bullet would have passed through. Those are just 2 scenarios that may lead you not getting the info you need.

Hey, Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm north of Minnesota just into Canada.
I think I'd like to to get my own outfit as this has been an ongoing concern. I don't want to call up someone from a long ways away to have to come over and watch me dismember a cow for a few hours. I'M not even use to that.
I believe Foragist's scenario is what I'm facing, although the wife just posted a question for help on Facebook. Thanks again for the help. Mark

I would contact your local law enforcement agency and tell them of your suspicions. They should be able to determine if the cow was shot. Possibly idiot hunters who can't tell a cow from a deer.

I would contact your local law enforcement agency and tell them of your suspicions. They should be able to determine if the cow was shot. Possibly idiot hunters who can't tell a cow from a deer.

I used to work with a farmer who occasionally had a cow shot during deer season. Saddest thing was a "hunter" actually tagged one (put tag around ankle) still believing it was a deer. Far too many idiots out there wanting to be outdoorsman. Deer hunter- I got me a 300 ultra mag this year, that 30-30 can't kill a deer, Bass fishermen- 80mph from one end of the lake to the other, cast three times, see another bass boat flying past, start engine and try to race it.

I think you are going to find it really tough in searching for lead at much of any depth. Lead alloy is weak to detect. It would likely take an enhanced, specialized 2-box detector, made for very deep penetration. Now, if the slug is near a surface, entry, or next to the "meant-to-be" exit travel, it can be detected.

I'd check it with my detectors if I were in your position, but I'm not there. You'll most likele need to take one or both animals to a warm barn and look for entry.

I wish there was a more positive answer.

Around here, the game wardens have access to metal detectors. Getting them to check might be a chore tho. Maybe if you spun it like it could be a Fish and Game violation, they'd take interest.

I think you are going to find it really tough in searching for lead at much of any depth. Lead alloy is weak to detect. It would likely take an enhanced, specialized 2-box detector, made for very deep penetration.

I don't believe a two-box detector would find something as small as a bullet.

I used to work with a farmer who occasionally had a cow shot during deer season. Saddest thing was a "hunter" actually tagged one (put tag around ankle) still believing it was a deer.

I lived on a farm and often had bullets hit in the field where I was plowing. They were trespassing and didn't have any idea of where they were shooting.

I think you are going to find it really tough in searching for lead at much of any depth. Lead alloy is weak to detect.
It would likely take an enhanced, specialized 2-box detector, made for very deep penetration. Now, if the slug is near a surface, entry, or next to the "meant-to-be" exit travel, it can be detected.

If it's a bullet then it's most likely copper on the outside with a lead core.

Back
Top Bottom