Holed IHP

ynnek4

Hello,

I got out on Saturday on a famil member's property where I previously found two IHP's with my Deus last year. I have also pounded this property with a CTX 17" as well. I used my new Anfibio and I was very happy finding the IHP. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get a date on it. I am going to see if there is one underneath the hole lippage. Looks like they attempted a first hole to the left but it was too much on the rim of the coin. Is there any conclusive reason why coins were holed? I have heard so that they could not be lost to that they were nailed to new houses. Other than that, the button and a bevy of shotgun shells. Looks like it was a popular hunting area a long time ago. Lol.

Happy hunting!

swadg2.jpg

2nltmx.jpg

Nice holed injun! your shells come out nice.

Nice, Sometimes they were holed so one could put them on a string to keep them from getting lost.

Well at least you know it is between 1859 to 1909 :D

VERY nice haul you got there !!

Actually, you can date it between 1886 and 1909. The last feather points between the C and A, and before that, it pointed between I and C. There are two varieties of the 1886, when the switchover occurred about mid-year.

-- Tom

Congrats on the Indian and all those Head-stamps. Trapper
The head stamps are definitely cool but man the VDI they give can be frustrating!
Nice holed injun! your shells come out nice.
Thanks! Yes, they come out from this yard decent. I am trying to figure out what I can do with them. I have hundreds (like I am sure everyone else does).
Nice, Sometimes they were holed so one could put them on a string to keep them from getting lost.
Yes, I have read that. Pretty fascinating. I think may make a necklace out of it.
Awesome IHP! Like those headstamps! Nice and clean!
Much appreciated! Anytime you find an IHP is a good day (IMO).
Well at least you know it is between 1859 to 1909 :D

VERY nice haul you got there !!
Very true! Thanks!
Actually, you can date it between 1886 and 1909. The last feather points between the C and A, and before that, it pointed between I and C. There are two varieties of the 1886, when the switchover occurred about mid-year.

-- Tom

Wow, great info! Thanks! The other two IHP's I have found there were 1864 and 1889.

I always think the holed coins have more character, with tangible evidence of an untold story. Too bad they had to butcher the date, though.

-- Tom
Thanks for posting this info. I somehow don't recall ever hearing this before.

Back
Top Bottom