New guy from Wisconsin

MidwestTA

You could say I'm not even started yet, but well prepared. I live in west central Wisconsin, the driftless area ( not touched by glaciers) I have always had a fascination with finding things after digging up an old indian arrow head in my parents yard at 5 years old. I'm 25 now, and am really getting back into it. For the past 6 months I have been doing research on the history of this general area, take drives on backroads, talking to older people from the area, looking at old and new maps for comparisons, reading old newspapers, If only I had researched this well in school.. LOL It's the middle of winter right now, and very cold, so no going out yet. I don't even have a metal detector yet. I have about 20 different places to search over the spring/summer, including an old school site, 3 old farmsteads, a few places along/on the Mississippi river, the site of an old town that burned in the late 1800's, and one that I might have trouble getting to/getting permission, is cave on the side of a bluff, using binoculars, I can see an old wooden chair in it... very interesting.

I think this area should turn up some very interesting finds, it's not heavily populated, but it has been highly traveled for a very long time. I'm working on finding the owners of everything and getting permission to go searching, hopefully I have good luck with that as well.

If anyone else is in my area, it would be really neat to hear some stories!

Welcome from Nebraska. My in-laws live in Stevens Point WI. Get a machine and get out swinging when you can! Good luck and HH.

Thanks for the warm welcomes! I am not looking to spend a bunch of money on one. I think just a basic one will be a good starter. I found good reviews on the Bounty Hunter Tracker II and its only about 100ish. I just can not justify spending 1000+ on a detector just yet.

Welcome from WI, try anywhere near water that's private land. That's where best chances of finding prehistoric copper native American goodies like the spear points. Don't have to spend a lot of money on detector, take look at Tesoro Compadre if you want to save some dough for pin pointer. Sounds like you have some great spots already, you need help hunting them let me know :laughing:. Just stay off any state land and you will be fine. Good luck !

Welcome from Texas, where the weather will be in the 70's today..
Must get out this afternoon and feed my addiction..
Dang wind blowing 30 MPH..

Welcome from WI, try anywhere near water that's private land. That's where best chances of finding prehistoric copper native American goodies like the spear points. Don't have to spend a lot of money on detector, take look at Tesoro Compadre if you want to save some dough for pin pointer. Sounds like you have some great spots already, you need help hunting them let me know :laughing:. Just stay off any state land and you will be fine. Good luck !

Where in Wi are you at? Yeah, I see WI has a law against doing pretty much anything on state owned land.

Welcome from Texas, where the weather will be in the 70's today..
Must get out this afternoon and feed my addiction..
Dang wind blowing 30 MPH..

Just had to rub that in didn't you! It's 24 here today, with freezing rain. I watched the neighbors try to dig up their septic system with a backhoe, the ground is so solid that when they tried to start the hole, it just dragged the machine along and the bucket stayed in place..

Hello and welcome,its looks like you got some stuff planned out,keep securing some sites for spring and wait it out.Dig everything and sort it out in the end.:digginahole:

Back
Top Bottom