3,882 coins later - FIRST SILVER!!!

z118

Forum Supporter
My in-laws had us over for dinner last night. They live in the city of Rochester in a house built in the 30’s. Their yard was one of the first places I thought to detect since they raised 6 kids there and I knew for certain that it hadn’t been detected at least since the 70’s when they moved in. I had tried it out once last November, but at the time it was very cold and raining a little. I found two clad coins and a Tootsie Toy die cast car from the 60’s. Almost as an after thought I decided to give it another whirl last night.

Where to begin! I started in the back yard. My mother in law wanted to see how the detector worked as she just retired and is thinking of getting one. I found a clad nickel right away. She then headed into the front yard with my son. Still in the back yard I hit a nice signal and popped a wheat. Then I moved into the front yard, where I immediately found two more wheats. I knew there HAD to be silver. Slowing me down was the fact that someone had recently somehow peppered the front yard with Lincoln pennies. Finally, I hit a nice signal that I knew was deeper then the rest. I knew INTANTLY when I saw it in the hole that it was silver. So clean! I couldn’t believe it. My first silver – a winged liberty head dime. I nearly peed my pants!

I kept pulling more clad pennies, until I found a war nickel and another winged liberty head. I also found a very cool button, an ornate key, a fishing weight, and a spoon head that had been pounded flat (I’m guessing for a wind chime).

There is a write on the button at:

http://www.tomstreasures.com/find.html

When it started getting dark I headed into the back yard, where I found a bit more clad and two more Tootsie Toy cars from the 60’s.

Total for the evening was:

15 wheat pennies!
1 war nickel
2 winged liberty head dimes!

71 Lincoln cents
4 clad nickels
8 clad dimes
2 clad quarters

I guess it really is all about where you look. I mostly detect schools and parks. Some are old, but I get the feeling they’ve been hit before. This was the first piece of old ground that I’ve detected (besides my own yard) that I know had not been done before. I found 3,882 clad coins, 34 wheats, two IH’s, and three foreign coins before my first silver! What a fun hobby this is!

As always, thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Finds 5-3a.jpg
    Finds 5-3a.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 259
  • Finds 5-3b.jpg
    Finds 5-3b.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 256
  • Finds 5-3c.jpg
    Finds 5-3c.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 249
This is a great story! I think I really enjoyed it because of your honesty about finding your first silver coin. There are people posting silver daily on some forums, not saying it is not true.....but...it does get a little unbelievable! I have only found four silver coins this year and I am out three times a week since January. Once again great story really enjoyed. Oh and I almost forgot, noticed you passed 100 coin total always a nice bonus! :) :)

Just worked it out on a calculator, one silver coin for me every 584 coins! So glad you got one too!

I loved the story! The excitement comes right through. Even those who have found their share of silver will tell you that it's still exciting for them to find a silver piece.

Congrats on some nice coins! The wartime nickel is always a treat to find. They don't come by too often.

Hey everyone, I think he's hooked on silver now. :lol: Nice finds!

Congrats Z on some really nice first silver! Great story! My first was a walking liberty half and every piece I have found since is just like finding the first for me. Keep it up!

Hey everyone, I think he's hooked on silver now. :lol: Nice finds!

Well, I'd be lying if I said this hasn't changed my perspective a little. As I said I have to this point mostly stuck to schools and parks, because I like digging lots of targets. I must have a short attention span, because if I go five minutes without a target I start getting bored and I begin to wonder if my detector is still working. So hitting those older sites has not appealed too much to me, as I figure the targets are few and far between. Not to mention those old sites are harder to come by than schools and parks.

Now my feelings may have changed a bit! In fact, I was planning on hitting a nice local school tomorrow morning, but instead I may try out some old abandoned lots in the city. We'll see what happens!

Anyway, thanks for all the great comments everyone!

Great story there Z! I'm up to almost 400 coins in 5-6 weeks with 3 silvers. I wish they came more often but I sure get excited when I've found them. You should have seen me calling my wife on the cellphone from the school yard when I found the barber dime - she didn't have a clue what I was talking about. :)

Have you finished their yard or do you still have more of the backyard to do?

Z - Very good report. Now they will start coming regularly I hope. I went for 22 years before finding a diamond and 3 months later dug another.
I sure would hit your old house places before any other spots, that's where most of the silver will be. Don't know what your settings were at the house but with that many coins there should be more oldies down there. Maybe set things lower and dig all ?
Good luck, Steve in so az

Congrats on the Mercs ! It can sure be a long wait between silver coin finds these days...I got back in the hobby about 15 months ago..found 2 silver coins the first week and still looking for the third ( Not gonna count a drilled one found in the woods)...good luck on finding some more good sites...Roadrunner

Nice job on the Mercs! They say the first is the hardest! And oh, by the way, you hit THREE silvers there - a 1944 war nickle is made of 40% silver!!! Way to go!

Back
Top Bottom