CHEAP equinox 600

dohcsvt

I have read the ad three times and I do not see any statement as to condition of the unit. I could not find anywhere that it said it was new or used.

Am I overlooking something??

I guess I just assumed it was new. I would suspect that a company would jotebthat an item was used... I dunno?

Hi, I placed a bid on an open box equinox 600 and then stumbled across this. I ended up winning the auction so I figured I would pass it along to you guys. I have no information on the vendor, but a brand new equinox 600 for $510 is definitely worth looking into.https://giraffess.com/products/minelab-equinox-600-multi-iq-metal-detector-with-eqx-11-double-d-smart-coil/

Provide feed back if anyone knows about this company or buys a machine.

got a window stating site was new and not to risk purchasing!
just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

OK, I'll provide some feedback simply by using my powers of observation. I see big, bright red flags telling me that anybody who buys from this company has a good chance of getting an Equinox 600 counterfeit.:realitycheck:

It's a new site, no info about it when searched for. There are also new sites which look exactly the same called Camelss and Goatss. Sensing a pattern here? They all have the same "about us" blurb: "...We are a small apparel company striving to bring our customers the best outfit for every occasion. We wish you a happy time shopping on..."

The website was constructed by somebody whose first language is not English. "Free ship for every order"...probably Chinese.

You say well my credit card/paypal protects me against fraud? Maybe. But even in instances where it does you're going to have a hassle. Good luck getting any recourse from your card if the detector is counterfeit. And my senses are telling me what they are selling is a Chinese made fake. The Chinese are notorious for counterfeiting popular metal detectors, not to mention anything else they can fake for a dishonest dollar.

Minelab, like most detecting manufacturers, has a MAP (Minimum Advertising Price) that by contract their detectors can't be advertised for less than. Sell for whatever you want, but you can't advertise for less than the MAP. The MAP for the 600 is $649. So how are they advertising them for $506.99?

If you buy one of these I imagine it will probably superficially look like a Equinox 600, but I'm betting it won't perform like one. And there will no doubt be minor visual tells as well to identify it as a fake.

groundsweeper is right, a legitimate dealer on this forum could probably get you one for just a few dollars more than this. And it would be the genuine article.

OK, I'll provide some feedback simply by using my powers of observation. I see big, bright red flags telling me that anybody who buys from this company has a good chance of getting an Equinox 600 counterfeit.:realitycheck:

It's a new site, no info about it when searched for. There are also new sites which look exactly the same called Camelss and Goatss. Sensing a pattern here? They all have the same "about us" blurb: "...We are a small apparel company striving to bring our customers the best outfit for every occasion. We wish you a happy time shopping on..."

The website was constructed by somebody whose first language is not English. "Free ship for every order"...probably Chinese.

You say well my credit card/paypal protects me against fraud? Maybe. But even in instances where it does you're going to have a hassle. Good luck getting any recourse from your card if the detector is counterfeit. And my senses are telling me what they are selling is a Chinese made fake. The Chinese are notorious for counterfeiting popular metal detectors, not to mention anything else they can fake for a dishonest dollar.

Minelab, like most detecting manufacturers, has a MAP (Minimum Advertising Price) that by contract their detectors can't be advertised for less than. Sell for whatever you want, but you can't advertise for less than the MAP. The MAP for the 600 is $649. So how are they advertising them for $506.99?

If you buy one of these I imagine it will probably superficially look like a Equinox 600, but I'm betting it won't perform like one. And there will no doubt be minor visual tells as well to identify it as a fake.

groundsweeper is right, a legitimate dealer on this forum could probably get you one for just a few dollars more than this. And it would be the genuine article.

Sounds like you know a lot of Chinese 1st hand and have had many business dealings with them over the years. Thanks for passing on your knowledge and expertise :roll:

Edit: Do I really need to add a sarcasm tag to this?

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it, usually when something is too good to be true, it is. Something ain't right with that site... Hope im wrong, but I certainly won't be the guinea pig. If someone does go for it (alot of people dont mind the GP-Pointer, which is a Garrett carrot knockoff) please keep this thread updated!

Last edited:
If you want a cheap equinox pay attention to Minelab announcements this weekend. That is if you like the color red.

Sounds like you know a lot of Chinese 1st hand and have had many business dealings with them over the years. Thanks for passing on your knowledge and expertise :roll:

Edit: Do I really need to add a sarcasm tag to this?

Yes, Steve, I do and I have.

No sarcasm tag necessary. If I am wrong with my speculation it sure won't be the first time, and I'll update this thread with my mea culpa.

Yes, Steve, I do and I have.

No sarcasm tag necessary. If I am wrong with my speculation it sure won't be the first time, and I'll update this thread with my mea culpa.

Well, I took the bait and clicked the link. If it was made by Chinese they have been Western educated and I'm not talking community college. The usual errors and mistakes aren't present. The site actually looks legitimate. Click on the shop/homepage and you will see there are 1000's of different items listed ranging in value.
$649-$507= the dealers profit margin right out in the open :D .
Its very possible we will be hearing more about this site in the future. Ebay and Amazon fees are enough to make me sick.

With the Chinese RMB taking a huge hit over the past few months a Minelab dealer with stock in China could easily sell at $507USD and still make a nice profit.... not dishonestly.

Steve, I'm willing to concede that you could be right...this could be a legitimate site.

The English is pretty good, but there are certain phrases that give away this website is not from an English language entity. Statements like "we do not accept second thought on size problems due to customer's fault" and "we immediately begin preparing it and therefore cannot make cancellation" are telling.

Of course being a Chinese site does not make it illegitimate. But if I was in the market for a new Nox 600, I wouldn't consider it worth the risk to save a small amount of money.

I'm not sure what you mean by the profit margin right out in the open. Are you saying $507 is the dealer cost from Minelab?

Hopefully some brave soul who orders from this site will come back and give us a report!

Steve, I'm willing to concede that you could be right...this could be a legitimate site.

The English is pretty good, but there are certain phrases that give away this website is not from an English language entity. Statements like "we do not accept second thought on size problems due to customer's fault" and "we immediately begin preparing it and therefore cannot make cancellation" are telling.

Of course being a Chinese site does not make it illegitimate. But if I was in the market for a new Nox 600, I wouldn't consider it worth the risk to save a small amount of money.

I'm not sure what you mean by the profit margin right out in the open. Are you saying $507 is the dealer cost from Minelab?

Hopefully some brave soul who orders from this site will come back and give us a report!

Sounds like $507 is right around the target price. Minelab dealers do whatever they want in China.

Last edited:
I think that you could readily get one from one of the sponsors here for around that price...maybe a little more, but the fact that it's a known entity, in the US, and much faster shipping (even the fastest shipping from China would take a week or more, unless they pay a hundred bucks for shipping, which they won't)

Of course that's assuming they actually ARE located in China. Their IP is hosted by CloudFlare, which is based in SF, but of course that doesn't mean anything. The business could be really located anywhere in the world. The website is BRAND new...as in it was created 8-9-19...

Add to it that their website doesn't work right (you can't even send them a message through their "contact us" link).

I have been working on the Internet since 1996 with many of my own technical book review web sites. My background was a senior system analyst.

Anyone with even a little technical knowledge can find out what other posters have found out about this company.

If I am going to spend $15.00 on an internet purchase I may not worry too much about buying a product from a new web site since the value is low. But the cost of a Nox 600 and possibly end up with zero warranty and a machine that likely will not perform as a real Minelab Nox 600 is too big of a risk. If you are looking to save $100 maybe you should just buy a Garrett Ace from a dealer in the US. At least you will have a real detector backed up by a real company that honors all of their warranties.

A little off topic, but here goes...

Personally, I would love to see a 100% embargo on China because they are our enemy and always have been. We fought them in Korea, Vietnam and will probably have to fight them over Taiwan in the future. Unfortunately our trade policies dating back to the Clinton administration has made them strong and us weaker. It continued into the Bush administration and even more so with 8 years of Obama. The only person trying to reverse this colossal mistake is our current president.

We can literally switch all of our production over to India who has the capacity, know how and cheap labor and they like us more than China and are not building up their armed forces against us like China is.

Now that someone has stated that there are possibly "counterfeit Nox 600's" out there do they have any more evidence of these fakes asides from the highlighted possible dodgy vendor?

Has anyone received a "counterfeit" Nox?

This is all new to me in regards to counterfeit Nox's so if there is more than just speculative rumors wafting about, please share. I am sure Minelab would also be interested if these were indeed "counterfeits" -

Sounds like $507 is right around the target price. Minelab dealers do whatever they want in China.

heck, a lot of business in China do what the want when it comes to running scams. They are getting to be like Nigeria.

On the minelab support page they have a link to report fakes. Not sure what they can do about fakes coming from China. Heck if the post office cannot stop the illegal drugs coming into the country from China what chance do they have of stopping fake metal detectors from China?

Back
Top Bottom