30 year old class ring recovered and returned

CharlieT84

Elite Member
I was detecting a local park and usually I have my Nox set to reject everything below a 25 except 12 and 13. Well this time I was accepting everything 6 and up, maybe not digging them all, but at least listening. I received a 6 reading and decided to dig. Out pops this ring from about 3" down. Lucky to have found this as I normally wouldn't dig a 6 but also lucky as every time I wave the coil over it now it comes up as 5. (which I had discriminated out)
I went online and after a little checking found the owners phone number and called and left a message. She was very surprised and told me the story how she lost it the first year she had it. She was 16 and earned the money herself to buy it and was very upset she lost it. It has been in the ground over 30 years and looks great. She now lives about 3 hours away. It is in the mail on its way to her now.
Also shown are some other goodies I found that day.

Attachments

• IMG_0841ct.jpg
    IMG_0841ct.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_0842ct.jpg
    IMG_0842ct.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_0843ct.jpg
    IMG_0843ct.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_0844ct.jpg
    IMG_0844ct.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 506
That’s awesome!

I found a 1932 Pittsburgh Press Lincoln Essay contest medal... I think the time of return has passed...

Congrats. Great Job. Thanks for representing this great hobby. :hat3:

What alloy was that ring? A VDI of only 5/6 seems low. I only have one very small gold toe ring that does hit that low. Your ring was gold alloy, right?

What alloy was that ring? A VDI of only 5/6 seems low. I only have one very small gold toe ring that does hit that low. Your ring was gold alloy, right?

I thought it was white gold but when talking to her on the phone she called it Valadium. That must be why it rang up as a 5 or 6 on the nox. If it had been white gold what do you think it would have rang up at?

I thought it was white gold but when talking to her on the phone she called it Valadium. That must be why it rang up as a 5 or 6 on the nox. If it had been white gold what do you think it would have rang up at?

Probably around 15-17, but I can't ever remember finding a white gold ring. I would be interested to know if white versus yellow gold reads differently in conductivity.

Does anyone know if white and yellow gold reads the same?

Back
Top Bottom