First detector options ctx, xp or other options.

Gros21

Well I’ll start off by saying it’s going to be my first detector. I know there a few people asking a similar question but they were all getting the new detector to work along others.

I have a property next to a gold mine, but will also be doing a lot of relic hunts, beach work ect. I don’t care if I can’t take the unit into water.

Also I like my gizmos even my smoker has inbuilt wifi and my kayak runs a 1198 sounder.

My eyesight is good, for controls ect

I like the xp orx but could Maybee stretch the budget to a deus. But there are a few good deals arround for a ctx 3030 at right between those price points.

Weight wouldn’t worry me on the ctx as my hunts will be only a few hrs.

Would be willing to get a new coil but want a decent dector that can do most things.

Headphones would be nice, would prolly do the Bluetooth mod on it if it’s not wireless.

something that can cop some abuse. Well at least something that is happy to sit in a bag and not be cleaned after each use.

Battery wise work supply’s industrial AA bats, batt packs are fine but will need 4hrs of use at a min with all goodies turned on ect.

For what you described (relics, gold, beach)I would recommend Equinox, ORX or Deus. If you were mainly hunting old deep coins silver, copper ect. I would say Etrac or Ctx.
Good luck on whatever you choose!

Also if interested I have a brand new ORX with a new MI6 pinpointer for sale in the classifieds for a great deal!

Depends on how much

You want to spend, do it all Equinox 800/ Ctx3030 , relic hunt coin Deus and not water proof, you can hunt in the rain & water with the 1st two mentioned, that being said a Ctx with all 3 coils your looking at 3k, with a Equinox 800 with all 3 coils about 1200 , Deus all 3 coils 2200 , happy hunting.

I wouldn’t say I want to spend. I just tend to go over board with all hobbies I have. Lucky I don’t do drugs I guess. But I drive a $500 daily driver, haven’t been away on a holiday in 15 years (since I started working) but will drop 3k on a firearm for no apparent reason (plus I’m Aussie so it’s not such a simple task)

I’m after a good deal really. I do prefer to buy decent gear just trying to find out the going prices for gear so I know what and when to snap up.

I’m sniping a ebay auction for a 3030. May even grab the above orx and then get a 2nd dectetor.

ESP cause wifey is annoying me at the moment so it’s a good excuse to get away :D

Ok well I found a local box 800 for sale by someone selling a lot of Minelab gear. It’s approx $530us admittly not quite the quality I wanted but think I may grab it.

I'm not thinking the CTX is the best relic machine, or as good on the lower conductors as others may be. If you are leaning to do some relic hunting, you will definitely be iron infested sites. Faster machines will shine.

Some of the faster machines would be Deux, Orx, Equinox or Anfibio. A couple classics that seem to do well in iron for low to mid conductors would be V3i, T2 or F75.

Now I obviously haven't used all these machines but based on their speed and what other revered hunters use, these would be the ones that top my list.

Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils is a very underrated but outstanding prospecting detector. It is very good at relics and incredible at coin and jewelry in virtually all environments including salt beaches and submerged. I have prospected with my 800 in areas where many other VLFs that I tried totally failed due to hot rocks and high ground mineralization.

I have had many detectors in the last 5 years since so many great ones have been manufactured. They are all gone: Deus, Anfibio, Whites MX7/MXSport, Garrett ATs, Fisher T2, F19, Minelab Gold Monster and XTerras..........(I kept my Makro Kruzer). I have used them all and nothing is as versatile as the Equinox 800 for me anyway, once you really learn how to use it for your detecting situations. Try not to get in a hurry and learn it well in default Park 1 with good ground balance, noise cancelling and maybe some downward sensitivity adjustment and 5 tones or less. I am no genius and I am just beginning to believe that I know enough about my Nox 800, Nox 600 and GPX 4800 to be successful.

great choice! good luck,
Jeff

What about the nox and a orx? Orx would be new so have choice of coils or just a solo deus.

If you're considering getting two detectors I'd look into an Equinox and maybe a used Etrac. Should put you around the same price range as a new CTX. Equinox and Deus (and ORX) share a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses.. But pair one of those up with an FBS machine and you've got all the bases covered.

What’s fbs?

Well I’ve found a nox 800 at a good price. But really like the xp controls plus I know the local dealer.

Just want to have bases covered so I’m not forced to upgrade in a year.

All the Minelabs are reported to be good at the beach,that’s the route I’d go..Relic hunting,Deus hands down..why not a Etrac and a Deus? All bases covered

I have found a cheap nox 800 locally hence it’s on the cards.

If I go the deus that’s my budget pretty much gone.

So it’s either 2 different lower end machines (Eg orx and nox 800)that will cover me or the 1 deus.

I’ll have a look at the etrac.

I’m fully aware there are gold machines but as I’ll be doing my hunting with a club that does a bit of both so don’t want to be excluded from certain events. As my ‘amazing’ gold machine can’t pick up anything else.

I have found a cheap nox 800 locally hence it’s on the cards.

If I go the deus that’s my budget pretty much gone.

So it’s either 2 different lower end machines (Eg orx and nox 800)that will cover me or the 1 deus.

I’ll have a look at the etrac.

I’m fully aware there are gold machines but as I’ll be doing my hunting with a club that does a bit of both so don’t want to be excluded from certain events. As my ‘amazing’ gold machine can’t pick up anything else.

I’d recommend the nox 800 then,pretty much will do it all too

Cheers would I be wise to grab the orx as well? Or Maybee hold off for a etrac at a decent price?

I’ll be getting a mi6 pinpointer as well not that it matters much but still.

Back
Top Bottom