Chickamauga/Ft. Oglethorpe Finds 10/7/13

Chad1

I went to a new spot today close to the Chickamauga Battlefield. I grew up a 1/4 mile from this place in Ft. Oglethorpe, GA. I found 2 brass buckles that look like they are from WWII training period in Ft Oglethorpe. Also found a silver dime. I was hoping for some drops and CW buttons. I got permission for 3 new areas today through one conversation. I left a lot of area untouched. I'll be back next weekend.

I have a bunch of these buckles from years ago but any knowledge/comments would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 100_8801.JPG
    100_8801.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 484
Chad, if you are a new hunter, and if you are interested, give me a private message and I will give you details about our club meeting. Getting to meet some of the other hunters will help you with sites. Most of us in the club have hunted for 30 years or more.

Buckles might be horse tack

Those buckles look like they could be horse tack rather than knapsack buckles. There was a lot of cavalry training going on at Ft. Oglethorpe in the 1900's. In 1938, when my Dad was still in high school, he was able to sign up with his brothers and join a National Guard sponsored Cavalry training unit for high schoolers. I've forgot the name of the program. Dad said they used to practice maneuvers on the old Chickamauga battlefield. My Dad said one afternoon they called a halt to water the horses, rest a bit, and when Dad sat down, he felt a lump like a rock. When he sat up to move it out of the way, he realized it was a minie ball from the battle. He kept it for a few years as a souvenir, but then WW2 came along, he joined the navy, and the bullet disappeared along the way. Anyways... keep looking, you'll find the good stuff. Check every mowed field or vacant lot in the area. Keep plugging at it, and then one day you will find a real nice piece... persistence is the key to success!

Back
Top Bottom