Hunt in Chesapeake

elon8e3

Yesterday, I was lucky enough to go with my good friend Wes (Wes-in Virginia) to one of his new spots in Chesapeake. It was a button and "whatzit" day for me, plus a broken shoe buckle, a d-buckle and a very mangled, fired round-ball. Any help with the unknowns would be greatly appreciated.

Depending on who you ask, your first whatsit is either a bed bolt cover, a furniture fixture, or a bit boss rosette. There's considerable debate on several forums on the subject.

The ones with the bars across the back are rosettes that go up by the horse's browband (temple area). They aren't what they OP found. If the domed object he found is horse tack, it would be a bitt boss. They would go on either side of the bit in the horse's mouth. I don't prefer the word rosette for this type of tack adornment, but I included it since some people use it interchangably and it might help the OP googling for more info.

Funny story, I actually dug the rosette you posted on the left, haha. Here's the original blog post I wrote on it way back when, and it has some pictures which might help clear up the rosette v. bit boss idea. The domed object is very similar to the OP's, and I believe it to be a bit boss. But like I said, there are many who believe they are bed bolt covers or other furniture accessories. Both are probably right, and telling the difference between the two probably isn't a simple task.

Yeah the round, broken piece is a bit boss/rosette. The terms do get tossed around loosely, but the object in question, just like the ones you, Gtoast and myself have found are used for the same purpose. I've never heard the furniture decoration theory, but it could be possible. The majority of the relic hunting population around here believe these to be, and call them rosettes. I'm sure they are horse tack related, whether they are bit bosses or rosettes. Here are a couple that I have found. The thinner, broken one is Colonial era and the other is Civil War period. Maybe these pics will help. HH -Wolf

Attachments

• IMG_1645.JPG
    IMG_1645.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 790
  • IMG_1646.JPG
    IMG_1646.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 485
I think you're right Wolf, the one I found looks just like the one on the right, or the thinner, broken one. What do you think of this rosette?

I found it in a site that has seen activity since well before the Revolutionary War. It was lead filled and was found at a depth of 10" in Hanover County. The area has yielded both Confederate and Union relics.

I think you're right Wolf, the one I found looks just like the one on the right, or the thinner, broken one. What do you think of this rosette?

I found it in a site that has seen activity since well before the Revolutionary War. It was lead filled and was found at a depth of 10" in Hanover County. The area has yielded both Confederate and Union relics.

And, thanks for the ID :grin:

No problem. Sure looks like a genuine rosette to me. I'm not familiar with the insignia, but it looks civilian to me. There's a lot of history around Hanover, wish I had some more spots around that area, it's a lot closer to home than where I usually try. HH

It has been suggested that it might be Maryland Cav. I don't know enough to say one way or the other. I know it was deep and it was in an old site. Beyond that, I can only speculate

Back
Top Bottom