Lesche or Screwdriver

leeh

I'm starting to have trouble with hard ground. The digging tool that I bought from Home Depot, and has done a great job up until now, no longer cuts the sod. My plan was to use a Phillips head screwdriver to probe and pop out coins. I just read a post about how the Lesche will cut thru hard ground without a problem. Any advice?

I use a probe when I don't want to dig shallow coins. I probe when the ground is softer and I can feel the probe hit the coin. With a little tapping motion I can tell if is a rock, a coin, or I feel I pass through a piece of aluminum. With the copper fitting on the shaft it catches on the up stroke on aluminum or a can. I don't have much luck in hard ground. Rob

Attachments

• probe2.jpg
    probe2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 430
Lowes has a garden tool for about $10. that has serrated edges....... Though it may not be as good as the lesche, I don't think you will bend it. It will definitely cut tree roots. I also put an edge on the tip of mine to start the hole.

I use both a Lesche and a rather inexpensive digger that TonyCt has for about 10 bucks. The Lesche will cut thru in most cases, but is not that great for scooping out dirt due to its flat blade. The other digger is a concave blade ("Sabre Tooth Trowel") with serrated edges on both sides that will also do a good job by rocking back & forth as you work it deeper. Sometimes I use the Lesche for cutting the hole and the other for scooping out. If the soil is not that hard, the trowel gets used most.

leeh,
Try Dressing up the Edges with a File or Grinder?
I like to keep my Tools Sharp.
I use a 4" Grinder on my Trowel and Folding Shovel Edges.
On my Shovel I made Sawtooth Grooves on One Side.
For Hard Rocky Terrain I like using my Gasket Scraper.
The Angle is Great for Digging and Retreiving in Small Probing Type Holes.

Go to your local garden center and ask if they have a Hori-Hori knife. It is probably the last digging tool you will ever need to buy.

If your local store doesn't carry them just do a Google search, they are easily available on the internet.

Personally, I don't like using probes "for digging". I've scratched way too many coins doing so. No one tool is going to do everything for you. I suggest buying a Lesche but others as well. Here in Colorado, I'm finding all sorts of grounds. I have accumulated no less than 6 different tools and use them all according to the ground I am digging. The most important thing I have learned is to keep them sharp! They're for digging, not for show. Who cares if you scuff them up. The best tool I've got is a Fiskers from Walmart for $9.95. It has a serrated edge. I modified it, doing away with the split end root thingy, making it sharp and pointed. :)

Good luck digging!
GRB

Back
Top Bottom