which detector for the beach?

midship32

I'm new to metal detecting and would like some advice on which product to buy for the beach. I will use it primarily in salt water sand, targets would be coins and jewelery. Total unit waterproof unit not necessary, just the coil. I have zero experience, but am techno savvy and not afraid of electronics. My price range is $200-$500, I don't want something that I'll upgrading after gaining experience, but can't afford top of the line. Specific make, model recommendations appreciated

If your staying in the dry sand just about any detector will work but if you go into the wet it really changes things and you will have to go for a better unit.

Dry sand you can use a detector like a Ace250 but they don't like the wet sand very much nor does the MXT which I used to own.

If it was me I'd try and spend a little more money and purchase a BeachHunter ID or a possibly a M6 from Whites but there are a lot of other brands out there just as good and some probably better but I only know Whites.

I have the DFX for the wet sand as its very stable in that environment.

There are no NEW underwater / beach detector that fit your price range. The lowest discounted price is 543.20 for a Tesoro Tigershark. This is not a bad little detector and will work reasonably well in many circumstances. Some salt conditions will be unavoidably difficult but over all you should do well. Let em know if you need any more help. :yes:

Minelab....gt or elite .. they work wonders in the dry an wet sand even in the salwater( coil water proof), but you will have to go with a good used unit for that price...

midship32 said:
Thanks for the suggestions, Next question, where is the best place to buy?
I highly recommend Tony at HTTP://WWW.TCMETALDETECTORS.COM
He is very knowledgeable, and will take the time to answer all your questions. He has been more than fair with me - he tries to find a unit that will do what you want it to at a fair price, and doesn't try to sell you something that you don't need just to make a buck. Steve. P.S. Looks like some more brown nose points for me Tony :lol: In all seriousness midship32 Tony is the man!

Back
Top Bottom