1940s house. Where was the Merc?

ToySoldier

Forum Supporter
Last weekend I teamed up with NailFinder to check out one of my new permissions. A 1940s corner lot house. I had high hopes because there was a lot of activity in the neighborhood before the last of the lots were developed in the 1940s. There are many older houses nearby. A major street car trolley line ran in front of the house to the old park. At the time, the sidestreet was the last turnaround before that last stretch to the park.

I took the front yard and NailFinder took the back, and we switched every 30 minutes. After about an hour and a half we were only coming up with handfuls of memorial pennies and clad. No silver. No Indians. Not even wheats. We spent another half an hour and finally hit a couple of wheats all fairly close together. I decided to take NailFinder to one of my other permissions that's proven to put out some goodies. (It did, but I'll write more about that property some other time.)

Early this morning I headed back to the 1940s house to see if I could grind anything else out before crossing it off my list. Nearly 50 more copper memorial pennies, clad dimes, and Jefferson nickels. Many of the memorial pennies and dimes were 4"+ deep. No wheats. No buffaloes or Indians or war nickels. About 3/4 of the way through I finally hit silver. 1944 Mercury Dime. The signal was crisp and clear. Just had to get my coil over it.

What a weird yard. I highly doubt it had ever been detected. The trash wasn't too bad, and I was going slow enough to catch old deep coins. They weren't there to be found.

So, where did I find the Merc dime? Can you guess? In the photo the house is to the right just out of frame. There is a fence to the left and you can see the well worn path from the side door of the house to a back gate. In the far rear there's a parking pad next to the original shed. In the middle of the yard you can see where an old tree once stood, but the trunk sprouted and it now resembles an overgrown bush.

Attachments

• IMG_20190906_180759902small.jpg
    IMG_20190906_180759902small.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
We would love to see a pic of the Merc.:?:

Sure! These are most of the coins I pulled out of the yard. NailFinder also found a handful, as mentioned in the first post. The house is nothing special. Thousands of them like it built in the 1930s-1950s in any larger,older city. Used to be solid middle class housing for a family, but many of them are now in sketchier parts of town where lots of friendly people live but also have to keep one eye and ear on the surroundings.

I should add that the hunt with fewer coins was actually the first hunt. That's me being a lot pickier about what I dug, and the second photo is the return hunt where I dug everything and finally got my coil over the silver. Just goes to show how much can be left behind even in a small yard after trying to cherry pick it for a couple of hours.

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_125652351 edit.jpg
    IMG_20190914_125652351 edit.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 148
  • sept 8 2019.jpg
    sept 8 2019.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 145
Back
Top Bottom