• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Recommendations please!

Sus_kuken

Hey all! Been picking your brains for a little bit now and I’d like to get some recommendations for the following items.
1) Digging tools. I live in the pacific north west and we have very rocky soil.
2) Relic/Coin holders/Bags
3) Pinpointers - don’t plan on doing any water hunting.
4) knee pads.
5) anything I probably forgot.

Hey all! Been picking your brains for a little bit now and I’d like to get some recommendations for the following items.
4) knee pads.

1) Lesche style digger

2) any carpenters apron. But make sure you get one that stays open. Ie.: not the cheap cloth nail-aprons that flop shut. Because if the crease flops shut, you'll find yourself perpetually having to use 2-hands to open and insert an item.

3) Sunray inline probe, if one is available for your make & model. Utterly indispensable.

4) Don't need Knee pads.

5) Yes, don't forget to send me 30% of all your finds. I accept paypal :cool:

4) knee pads.

1) I use the Whites Digmaster, it’s tough as nails!
2) The Garrett pouch! Awesome bag with a smaller pocket inside for good stuff
3) Garrett Pro Pointer AT.... aka the Garrett Carrot
4) I don’t use knee pads
5) Ignore Tom lol I only charge 25%

I’m getting a Garrett AT pro on Friday night. Does it come with the bag?

I doubt it , Leslie ( Nova Scotia ) aka Bluenoser didn't even get a hat .:(

All joking aside if it wasn't stated as part of the deal by Garrett or specifically stated by your dealer , it isn't happening . When the early Garrett Propointers were first introduced you got the pouch and a nice probe with it .

1) I use the Whites Digmaster, it’s tough as nails!
2) The Garrett pouch! Awesome bag with a smaller pocket inside for good stuff
3) Garrett Pro Pointer AT.... aka the Garrett Carrot
4) I don’t use knee pads
5) Ignore Tom lol I only charge 25%

All good recommendations here, I use all the same stuff
White's Digmaster is the best I've used, super strong and sharp
The Garrett finds pouch is indestructible, I have 3 years on mine and still in great shape,
I carry my digger in it too. The Carrot has treated me well too, All good choices.

Don't go cheap on your digger or pinpointer. Whites digmaster is my favorite digger.For prying in rocks I use the Treasurewise knife.Screwdrivers work good in the rocks too. If I only had one digger it would be the digmaster. I use the Whites TRX pinpointer. Garret carrot is just as good. Kind of a ford/chevy thing. You should still get a waterproof pinpointer. Your detector is waterproof, and you are going to get rained on or fall in a mud puddle. I don't hunt water often, but the little wading stream next to a picnic area is full of treasure and you will want to hit it eventually.

You can go cheap on a belt and bag to start with, any tool belt will work. I use the Garrett belt that came with my ATPro. It's fine for short hunts. If you want to carry more than a digger and pointer a thicker belt works a lot better. It's hard to beat the military style LBE belt and suspenders if you carry a bunch of stuff. I stay within a hundred yards of the car most times so I don't worry about carrying much. I'd recommend waiting until you see what kind of hunting you enjoy, and how much gear you want to carry before spending money on a belt.

Knee pads aren't needed unless you need them...

4) knee pads.

1) I use a lesche digger. Works very well. Whatever you get, get something that will last you. Forget those cheap $10/$15 shovels from the hardware store. They'll break in no time.
2) I use one from Minelab but a few other companies make them too (Garrett being one of them). You can get them over eBay or from a metal detecting supplies store.
3) Minelab Pro-Find15 is a good pinpointer (I use the 25)
4) I don't use them but you can get those from a hardware store.
5) You might want to consider a good pair of gloves. I carry a pair with me, but I don't use them lol.

I have been using the Hori-Hori style diggers for about forty years and have never felt like they might break. they are cheaper than a Lesche too. As for knee pads I usually find cheap ones in thrift stores.

Not sure what part of the PNW you are located. If you're in the Beaverton Oregon area shoot me a message and I have 2 different diggers I will give you your choice of free.

4) knee pads.

1- if you are a cutter type of plugger, get a lesche. if you are more of a prybar type of person, get a gator. I am the latter and have bent my lesche easily in places where my gator shrugs it off.
2- I use a small combo tool pouch from Lowes/HomeD. theres tons of options on these. make sure you have a compartment for trash.
3- garrett carrot. there is no other. it will rain on you one day or you will use it in the dew. I have had the minelab (and I am a minelab fanboy), but the carrot is better imo.
4- depends on your digging style and ground. definitely in cactus and gravely ground. get the hardcap ones. btw, none of them stay in place very long and you continually have to adjust them.
5- towel for drying, wiping off your hands. 10-15x handlens can be handy tho I usually just keep mine in the truck. some folks carry cotton and a container for babying that once in a lifetime find. some folks carry a small foldable saw for tree roots. definitely some water for drinking. personal protection device(s) suitable for where you are.

All good recommendations here, I use all the same stuff
White's Digmaster is the best I've used, super strong and sharp
The Garrett finds pouch is indestructible, I have 3 years on mine and still in great shape,
I carry my digger in it too. The Carrot has treated me well too, All good choices.

I didn't find the Garrett finds pouch so indestructible. Less than 5 months, and really very few hunts, mine developed a large hole at one of the side seams of the goodies pocket. Very disappointed!

See my signature below for my usual setup, (31" Lesche is my go-to). My soil here is hard and rocky also, this is why I chose the digging tools I did.

I wear cargo pants with its 10 different pockets to hold all the finds. The knee pads are worn UNDER the pants, they do not ride up or move after put on, and are very light and bendable. I suggest wireless, sweatproof earbuds. Make sure the Bluetooth version of them is at least 4.2.
You will hear many more signals versus just using the speaker.

I think the question could easily have been...what do YOU wear detecting and what is your equipment? It’ll be all over the board depending on your bodies health,how often you go,what your looking for,where you’re looking....it goes on forever.
I use a nice Bucket Boss knee pad,the kind that strap above and below the knee. If I do NOT...I have issues with my kneecap moving around due to bending over the hood of a car for 20+ years. Tom does not have this issue or he never kneels down...I won’t go any further with that.:sissyfight:
The great majority of guys and girls use the Garrett pin pointers,and the best one of those is the AT Propointer,also known as the Carrot,as it’s orange for high visibility in case it gets lost in the grass,woods,etc. Just easier to eyeball...and it’s more sensitive with more adjustability than the other black models Garrett offers.
Cargo pants....absolutely! Indispensable...
Sampson 31” T-Handle shovel. End of story,unless in an area that’s super sensitive,then a well built trowel. Avoid ALUMINUM trowels,they WILL break and can be dangerous when they do!
That’ll get you going...:grin: Good luck!

<snip>
5) You might want to consider a good pair of gloves. I carry a pair with me, but I don't use them lol.

+1 on the gloves. They're important for safety, as they prevent cutting yourself on sharp pieces of metal. Good thinking. :waytogo:

<snip> some folks carry cotton and a container for babying that once in a lifetime find. <snip>
That's me! I carry a small, coin- or ring-sized container with protective foam inside. Just in case! So far, I've only needed it once... :laughbounce:... but I'm grateful for that one time!

Lots of good advice above, here's my take as I actually hunt in the PNW,

1- I use a Lesche hand digger for 90% of my plugs. Anything larger than this will get you thrown out of local parks around here. Save the larger diggers for permissions or wooded areas.
2 - The Garrett pouch works great but if you dig up lots of trash, a larger capacity pouch is nice.
3 - I've used several pinpointers and the Whites TRX is my favorite.
4 - Knee pads are a necessity out here with all the rocks, sticks and thorns. I use military pads as they are tough.
5 - All Pierce County and Metro parks are fair game to detect, just make sure to leave no trace. Public Schools are also good places to hunt but only when school is out. State parks have their own rules, research before going there. We have a couple clubs in the Tacoma area if you're interested in learning from the locals. The Outlaws and Puget Sound Treasure Hunters are full of good people with similar interests.

Good luck, there is still a ton of undiscovered treasure to be found around here.

1) Hand Digger: Lesche or Predator Model 75c. Long Handled shovel: Predator Tools Model 55 - Barracuda. A little bigger blade than a Sampson, yet not as large as a Ranger. Perfection IMHO.
https://www.predatortools.com/products/model-75-c-crusader
https://www.predatortools.com/products/model-55-barracuda

2) Relic/Coin holders/Bags: Digger supply Park Ranger or Pack Mule. Best pouch I've tried to date.
http://www.colonialmetaldetectors.com/digger-supply-treasure-pouches.html

3) Pinpointers: I've owned a bunch of them but keep going back to the Garrett ProPointer AT.
https://www.bigboyshobbies.net/garrett-pro-pointer-at

4) knee pads: McGuire-Nicholas from the Home Depot.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/McGuire-Nicholas-Foam-Non-Marring-Knee-Pads-1DM-22377-3/205908584

5) anything I probably forgot: Spray bottle with water to clean your finds in the field.

Back
Top Bottom