Budget Digging Tool Sheath?

Diggum

Elite Member
I don't plan to get an expensive digging tool quite yet, but noted that the cheap digging tools don't tend to come with a sheath. I've been using a garden trowel, and am finding that having it sticking out of my pocket is awkward. What are you using for your cheap digger sheath?

I just whipped this up for my TreasureWise T14 (14" X 3") digger. $3 in PVC, boiling water to shape it and a step drill (ya, I know the holes aren't lined up) to lighten it up. I used zip ties to attach it to the Garrett bag at a slight angle.
I'll likely cut the top square edges off or round them so they don't cut my hands up when putting finds in the bag.

I'll spray it black when I get a chance.

Attachments

• photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 283
Didn't think PVC was all that heavy... Makes good sheaths though. I used a heatgun for my Fiskars, bolted it to the side of a 5 gallon paint bucket. Made a holder for my propointer as well. Pretty easy to work with, gets flexible when heated, but doesn't get stick or clingy.

Didn't think PVC was all that heavy... Makes good sheaths though. I used a heatgun for my Fiskars, bolted it to the side of a 5 gallon paint bucket. Made a holder for my propointer as well. Pretty easy to work with, gets flexible when heated, but doesn't get stick or clingy.

PVC isn't heavy, but there's no need to carry any extra weight on my waist. I used a heat gun once I had the PVC warmed up in the water bath. Much easier to form the whole thing at one time and difficult to heat a 12" piece of schedule 40 2" PVC all at once with a heat gun!

If I could have found thinner wall PVC locally, I'd have used it.

PVC isn't heavy, but there's no need to carry any extra weight on my waist. I used a heat gun once I had the PVC warmed up in the water bath. Much easier to form the whole thing at one time and difficult to heat a 12" piece of schedule 40 2" PVC all at once with a heat gun!

If I could have found thinner wall PVC locally, I'd have used it.

The holes are good, lets the dirt fall off. I make PCB at home, occasionally. The worst part is drilling dozens of small holes. Very small margin for error. Seeing all your holes, just reminded me of an unpleasant task.

Mine is heavy wall too, only about 8 inches long, thin 1.25 diameter. Just had a bunch laying around, still do... I heated it up, squashed it mostly flat between two pieces of wood. Heated it again, slipped the Fiskars in, squashed down the rest of the way. Drill two holes all the way through for screws. Drilled the topside holes bigger so the screw heads could pass. Holds the knife secure too, doesn't bounce out, or rattle around. Left the bottom open, to let dirt fall out.

I'm going to go to Harbor Freight today to pick up the cheap pinpoint and while there, I'm going to see what they have in the way of pouches and shieves.:grin:

This is the digging tool holder that I always use, I never leave home without it and always try to bring it back home with me.

I know what you all are saying - that just isn't "right". :laughing:.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 232
Wal-Mart has a belt hammer holder, its 10 dollars. Fairly small, the center part that the hammer goes through has a grommet and it comes with a carabiner that you can put through the grommet hole to block the bottom of the hole so that a narrower trowel wont fall through, its got some strappings on it that i attached my garrett ProPointer sheath to.

Work pretty well. For a finds bag, i just took a Crown Royal bag, punched a grommet through the top and hooked it to a carbiner and hooked it to my belt.

The holes are good, lets the dirt fall off. I make PCB at home, occasionally. The worst part is drilling dozens of small holes. Very small margin for error. Seeing all your holes, just reminded me of an unpleasant task.

Mine is heavy wall too, only about 8 inches long, thin 1.25 diameter. Just had a bunch laying around, still do... I heated it up, squashed it mostly flat between two pieces of wood. Heated it again, slipped the Fiskars in, squashed down the rest of the way. Drill two holes all the way through for screws. Drilled the topside holes bigger so the screw heads could pass. Holds the knife secure too, doesn't bounce out, or rattle around. Left the bottom open, to let dirt fall out.

I build custom guitar amps...all point to point wiring, hand built boards. Drilling the boards isn't a big a deal as with PCB, but still a pain. I used a harbor freight step drill in my press on this creation (LOL) so it went pretty quickly. Sounds like the one you made is very similar.

Back
Top Bottom