Chattanooga Finds

Chad1

These are all finds that I came across over my last 5-6 hunts. The drops and the 2 coins were all found within 80 feet of each other. The coins are: 1875 seated liberty dime and an 1873 indian head penny. The button looking item is a "Warranted Superior" Saw Medallion from the 1800's. I thought for sure it was a button until I looked it up online. Two of the drops are 3 ring minies, one round ball drop and one hand carved former 2 ring. Looks like it was carved out and struck to smooth it out. I don't have a very good high def camera.

I do have a question for some experienced hunters. All of these finds are coming out of a smooth grassy area surrounded by heavy woods. I am not finding anything in the woods except medium/large horseshoe frags. Does this mean that my detector is just not getting to the smaller "good stuff" due to all of the leaves, roots, depth, etc? This is my thought anyway. I'm using an older model tesoro bandido. I'm considering a new Vaquero. Thoughts on that as well would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 100_8800.jpg
    100_8800.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 402
  • 100_8798.jpg
    100_8798.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 388
  • 100_8797.jpg
    100_8797.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 384
Nice digs! Yeah sometimes the forest floor is littered with leaves, pine straw, etc. That can be a few inches deep. When I'm in the woods, I go super slow and listen for every tiny blip. Then scrap away the top few inches and listen again. There's a chance that the relics could be deeper in the woods. The grassy area could have been plowed and scraped down at some point. You Bandito should get a bunch of targets, but the Vaquero is a great choice for pulling out those deeper ones. I've seen them in action, pretty impressive. Maybe look into an AT Pro also, it should be pretty easy to find one for a similar price. Check out the classified section, there's a few on there right now. I couldn't be happier with my AT Pro. It's an awesome machine.

Nice finds. And like others said go slow and dig those faint signals. Most of my deep targets give horrible tones .

Nice Finds! I used to hunt with a Vaquero and it did pretty good, I wanted a little more info about the targets and got an AT Pro and it does well also, plus I can get in the water with it.

Congrats on some very nice finds! I don't know anything about the Vaquero, but I can vouch for the AT Pro. It's a great machine and very versatile

Too funny. I went from a Bandido II uMax to a Vaquero. The Bandido was a great and fun unit!

Congrat's on the finds!

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. I did end up getting a new Vaquero last night. I tried it out in a few new yards today. I still need some time to get used to it. Feels like I'm cheating on my Bandido. Guess I'll have to sell a gun soon to justify buying an AT Pro next. I keep hearing good things about them.

Bandido II ...Tejon

I just upgraded from a Bandido II to a Tejon. I had a VAQ borrowed for a few days and loved it. But why not think about a machine that does that thing ...like iron has a low pitch sound ...and a good target has a high pitched sound ? Have you tried one of those ? I'm an old hunter just getting back in...minelabs , AT's and Fisher F5's are all new to me but you and I know that Tesoro is bad to the bone ! I hunted with two guys on South Chickamauga Creek this Saturday and them both using Minelabs..they thought i was crazy for using a Tesoro.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom