Howdy from Monroe Georgia!

Paps

New to the forum but not exactly new to MDing. Years ago I used to fiddle with one and I have a relative that has an older Whites that I use a little. Anyway my wife and I got the bug and I broke down and picked up a new one and have been at it for a week or so now. Mainly been learning the machine here on my property. Lots of trash but we have found some interesting things and several clad coins. We have 26 acres and the thing that really interests me here is, theres an old "dug" well about 4 feet square which tells me at one time there was an old homesite near it but Im having problems figuring out exactly where. I know in the 60's another homesite was here, from researching the platt. Theres also a "bored" well about 50 yards from the dug well. In this area Ive found tons of junk and a few coins but nothing older that '66. Its very trashy but a great place to learn the machine and sooner or later I figure I'll stumble across some neat old stuff. A few days ago I dug up a small jar with a bunch of various old nails in it. Reminded me of my Grand-dads old Jars of stuff ....... LOL!

Looking back it kinda depresses me that I was born and raised in Cartersville Georgia and went to school in Cassville, which as most know is a Civil war hot spot. Back then as a kid I used to kick up minnie balls, arrowheads and stuff when folks plowed their fields and gardens. These days though all the land I had access to has changed hands and it would be tough to get back on my old stompin' grounds. I still know several people in the area and am gonna try and locate some good places through them.

Today, after working with the machine around here, the wife and I are off to Lake Lanier to see what we can find. As some may know we're in a horrible drought down here and the lake is about 16.3 ft down as of today. Just to be cautious, I called the Corp of Engineers office there yesterday to check any regulations etc and found that the only areas they "allow" MDing is designated swim areas and theyve probably been picked to death already. They told me that the rest of the lake and Corp property was off limits to MDing because of the historical nature of the area before the lake was impounded in the 50's. I have heard and even saw on TV that folks are crawling all over the lake, but I want to be within the regs if for no other reason my wife doesnt get discouraged if we get scolded for searching in an off-limits area, which is 99.9% of the lake and surrounding property. (Arg!)

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself, seems like a bunch of good folks in here!

Welcome to the forum. You've got a good machine. If you have any questions about it, there are a lot of MXT users here who will help you.

HH

Rich

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome guys! Im sure I'll be asking a lot!
Yea, Im pretty happy with the MXT so far. Its much farther advanced than the machines I tinkered with years ago for sure.

I just realized you have a MXT, I got that one also. Relic mode is most likely what you will end up using most of the time.

Try these ghost towns for places to hunt.
1 Ghost Town: Laboon on NE county line, 3 miles E Mt. Vernon. 2. Ghost Town Waterport on SW county line, 3 miles W Youth. 3. Ghost Town Gresham on RR, 5 miles S Monroe. 4. Ghost Town Nunnally 3 miles NW Fairplay.
Some might be just small towns that were much bigger in their heyday. Other could be only cross roads now-a-days.

Monroe was established in 1821, I see as the county seat. You should find some Bust coins for us. Later

Hey there. I live in Cartersville but i'm moving to Cassville next weekend. We have lived in Bartow county for about 23 years. We used to live in Cassville, now we live off hwy 20 toward Canton. The new house is off Firetower Rd. right on the ridge where Polks AC was and some yankee artillary... should be good in the woods... I hope. I sometimes go over to the old Cass middle school too. I got to hunt a yard in old Cassville last summer, about a block from Cass Grocery... found some old coins and some old junk...

good luck to you!!

Julien

Hey there. I live in Cartersville but i'm moving to Cassville next weekend. We have lived in Bartow county for about 23 years. We used to live in Cassville, now we live off hwy 20 toward Canton. The new house is off Firetower Rd. right on the ridge where Polks AC was and some yankee artillary... should be good in the woods... I hope. I sometimes go over to the old Cass middle school too. I got to hunt a yard in old Cassville last summer, about a block from Cass Grocery... found some old coins and some old junk...

good luck to you!!

Julien

Lots of history up there for sure. Darn shame when I was a kid I didnt really appreciate the area. I went to school at Cass (Old school) from 1st thru 12th grade. (Class of '73.) We used to kick up minnie balls and pick up arrowheads all around there and the Etowah when they plowed fields and gardens but didnt really think that much of it. Man, to get back on my old stompin' grounds now would be a dream! All the old-timers are gone and the properties have changed hands a few times. I still have some relatives and friends up there though.

Back
Top Bottom