Water Detecting with a 12inch vs an 8 inch coil

Carol K

Co-owner
Admin
I took a Baracuda water detector when I went water hunting with Craig and Raymond. On it Vlad had attached a 12 inch coil. I normally use a 8 inch, but Vlad wanted me to see if I thought it went deeper.

The results.

I didn't think the 12 inch coil went deeper than the 8 inch, it just seemed to cover a wider area per sweep.

I didn't find much in the water, just a couple of sets of keys and 2 quarters, but I attribute the inability to find more, on the wind whistling through my headphones. I had the volume turned all the way up too. :(

Is that the Anchor made P.I. ? I thought it had fairly good audio to cope with the oxygen bubbles underwater. My old Deepstar P.I. was terrible with wind or crashing waves, you just could not hear deep signals.

No, the whole time I was in the water, I had to keep reminding myself that I had a 12 inch coil. I could feel no difference.

The only thing I could have used and Vlad said I wouldn't need, was a "flopper stopper" He said the weight of the coil would keep it down but, I suspect even though it was down, it was not level. And I have this habit of sticking the hole coil into the dug hole, but I couldn't with the 12 inch, yet I found the targets just as easily as if it was the 8 inch.

Some say on the Cuda that the 12 inch is hard to pinpoint, but I didn't find that to be true, it pinpoints dead center of the coil.

Yep, Anchor made it. I've used it a couple of times underwater with no problems, except them getting in the way of the snorkle, but aheavy wind like we had yesterday, I was wishing they were soundproof.

Is there still a detecting/gold hunting shop in Phoenix, Arizona ?
I think it was there when I was on my way the Las Vegas that I saw small sheets of a sort of armrest type smooth finish foam but white in colour, sticky on one side that you could line waterproof headphones with. Bit of a pain to remove the headphone innards but you would just cut a rough circle and it would stretch to cover the whole inside. Stick the speakers back in and poke through the drain holes. Worked great but I sold the machine and never saw it advertised again.

Back
Top Bottom