Upstate NY Colonial Era Finds!

Acuva24

On Sunday, I got the great opportunity to hunt a permission that my friend obtained with him and another buddy. This was our first hunt as a team and it felt great to share the experience with them. This permission really had us daydreaming about what we could find. There is a farmhouse standing on the property that was built in the early part of the 19th century. However, on an 1856 map of this area, it shows two houses on this property. The location of the other house is currently all field. Needless to say we couldn't wait to get out there.

Upon arrival, we went straight for the area that we believed the other house to have stood. Within 5 minutes of turning on my machine (ATPro), I got a beautiful 79-80 signal that was 8 inches down. My immediate reaction was that it was a coin. When I flipped the plug and saw a large disc-shaped item, I thought it was a large button. I began to gently rub away the dirt to expose any shank. There was no shank to be found! While one of my friends was holding it, I saw the right facing KG head!!! I then dropped all my gear and ran around screaming for a bit. This coin is 28mm diameter and weighs 5.6 grams. Are there any clues here to be able to date this thing? The back is completely smooth.

The second of our three most notable finds was a large spoon, found by my friend Ryan. You'll see this at the top of one photo. It is pretty large but very corroded. Would anyone be able to give an opinion as to if they believe this to be pewter? It was found probably about 15-20 feet from the King George. Needless to say, Ryan likes the spoons but was still a bit miffed that his find didn't quite meet the high standard set in this spot. Luckily, a last minute merc helped to satisfy his thirst.

Lastly, but surely not least, was the great dig by the original Wet Noodle Detectorist, Brandon. After he pulls at least six good soda/beer cans, he comes across a signal on the crest of a little ridge in the field. Next thing I know he's yelling that "we've got another one!!". I immediately looked at Ryan, who threw his hands up in disgust. Brandon shows us this huge copper coin, bigger than the KG! After a quick clean up, the '17' in the date couldn't have been more clear! We also noticed some type of diamond looking shape above the date line. Brandon posted this onto 'Help ID My Finds' and Captain Silver came up with the big ID right away. A Connecticut Copper! What an incredible find! The best find of Brandon's life and it's gonna be tough to beat!

All in all, a hunt that will surely not be forgotten. And we have plenty more hunting at that permission ahead of us. Cannot wait to get back.

Thank you for any suggestions you may have about the KG date/ID and the spoon!

Attachments

• KGIII(3).jpeg
    KGIII(3).jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 124
  • CTCopperBrandon.jpeg
    CTCopperBrandon.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 125
  • KGIII(4).jpeg
    KGIII(4).jpeg
    25.4 KB · Views: 125
  • MD_9.23.18.jpeg
    MD_9.23.18.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 124
A merc, King George, & Connecticut copper - three fantastic finds that compose one amazing hunt! Congrats to you and your friends! :woot:

Nice finds and there should be more goodies there.

The spoon seems to look like pewter. Clean it up and examine closely.
Pewter will be a darkish grey and on the corroded edge will be flaking.
Should also feel heavy like lead since early pewter was an alloy of lead.

I've found a few pewter spoons in that condition.

Back
Top Bottom