Local Fairgrounds Hunt

bubbaron

Forum Supporter
I hunted a local fairgrounds yesterday that had just held a 3 day fair. All the food and the rides used tickets with no cash used except at ticket booths. They even accepted credit card payments. This kills a good site for me and was very disappointing. I managed only $4.02 in clad coins for a 3 hour hunt. Almost all my finds were dug and not fresh drops. I can see I need to expand my hunting areas soon. It's raining here so I cleaned my coins and bagged them. Sorry, no pictures this time. GL to all and HH.

Hey Bubba...I’ve hunted 5 different fairgrounds. I’m assuming yours is old and has history? Like at least 100 years? If so,I can tell you this...EVERYBODY has hunted and STILL hunts these fairgrounds! You might not think so,but they do. I have found one common denominator in these places. There ARE coins! ALOT of them! The problem is that with all of the trash that has accumulated over time,the ones under all that trash are hard to find! The really old fairgrounds have had millions of nails deposited everywhere,that’s how stuff was put together back in the day. I know you know this but perhaps you under-estimate how many rotten wooden things have mulched into these places,with only nails remaining! All of the coil wrappers,pop caps,twist offs,pull tabs....you need the SMALLEST coil you have attached to the machine you know best. Hunt the edges of the roads and paths that go through and around the fairground....basically where people WALKED. if you know where they parked,look there also.
If it has age,it has coins. All the easy ones are simply gone,for the very great part.
This is just what I’ve experienced,hopefully you can make another run at it with some success!

Bubbaron... we have a fairgrounds here in town, yes, it has been hammered for years, the main grandstand goes back to about 1910 and there was a racetrack. I've not found a single silver coin, or even a wheat penny in the multiple (30+ times) I've hunted there. The coins at the fairgrounds seem to hit a hard clay layer and don't get too deep, so I think the old stuff is actually gone. Your basic detector from 30-40 years ago would have found them. The groundskeeper, a real nice guy, told me that he had seen detecting going on fairly often.

And like you observed, the food vendors now accept paypal, applepay, and credit cards, so less coins in that area. Tickets not cash is the norm here too for the rides. And there are a few local guys that hit the fairgrounds when the carnies are packing up.

Hey Bubba...I’ve hunted 5 different fairgrounds. I’m assuming yours is old and has history? Like at least 100 years? If so,I can tell you this...EVERYBODY has hunted and STILL hunts these fairgrounds! You might not think so,but they do. I have found one common denominator in these places. There ARE coins! ALOT of them! The problem is that with all of the trash that has accumulated over time,the ones under all that trash are hard to find! The really old fairgrounds have had millions of nails deposited everywhere,that’s how stuff was put together back in the day. I know you know this but perhaps you under-estimate how many rotten wooden things have mulched into these places,with only nails remaining! All of the coil wrappers,pop caps,twist offs,pull tabs....you need the SMALLEST coil you have attached to the machine you know best. Hunt the edges of the roads and paths that go through and around the fairground....basically where people WALKED. if you know where they parked,look there also.
If it has age,it has coins. All the easy ones are simply gone,for the very great part.
This is just what I’ve experienced,hopefully you can make another run at it with some success!

I did well last year at this site but now it seems to be no longer worth the trip or effort. I did hunt all the areas you mentioned and gridded them. I used my Nox 800 with the 6" coil which is a coin killer for me. Yes, there are still a few coins left but they a few and far between. I am moving on and will not hunt this fairgrounds any longer. I did find 3 Wheaties and one silver Rosie but little fresh drops and clads. This site is some distance for me and I just do not feel worthy of my time and effort. There is a high school sports complex not too far that I also detect so I my hit the fair grounds again sometime but not right now. My local sites produce better and I don't need to drive distance.

Back
Top Bottom