Vitamins?

MrNovice

Forum Supporter
Alright you old timers, I ain't getting any younger and I do eat sorta healthy (not purposely or all health nut Nazi-like) but my energy level is just low. Besides going to the dr and getting my blood done to find out what is lacking, what do you guys take to supplement your daily diet? Can you tell a difference in how you feel now as compared to before? Is there an age that multivitamins become the norm? This getting older thing is a drag...

How old are the old timers your seeking guidance from? ;)

I guess about 40 - 55 years old or just a little older? Kinda inbetween the age where you really don't need to supplement, and the age when your doctor says "Oh Lord, you're old and need to take this, this and this..." "Old timers" was just for the funny. Just curious if any over the counter supplements have helped anyone in those inbetween stages?

So I guess like the young "old timers"? :laughing: I used to take Centrum years ago, but it tasted bad and I probably didn't give it a fair chance to steadily stay in my system. But now there are like SO many different kinds of vitamins, I have no idea what to look for now or if it would even really help.

I take a multivitamin off and on...I already take insulin multiple times a day (for 22 years so that's nothing new) plus a statin for cholesterol, so sometimes I slack on the vitamins...ugh. Never really noticed a difference in energy levels tied to the vitamins though. I started noticing significant energy level drops early this summer and after talking to the doc, I'm scheduled for a sleep apnea test next week. My old man has been using a CPAP machine for ten years now, so no real surprise. Another thing to consider at our age is testosterone levels start to go down in most guys in their thirties and can cause fatigue as well as depression and several other symptoms. Good luck and head up!

I take a multivitamin off and on...I already take insulin multiple times a day (for 22 years so that's nothing new) plus a statin for cholesterol, so sometimes I slack on the vitamins...ugh. Never really noticed a difference in energy levels tied to the vitamins though. I started noticing significant energy level drops early this summer and after talking to the doc, I'm scheduled for a sleep apnea test next week. My old man has been using a CPAP machine for ten years now, so no real surprise. Another thing to consider at our age is testosterone levels start to go down in most guys in their thirties and can cause fatigue as well as depression and several other symptoms. Good luck and head up!

Yeah, I think my T levels are dropping. I used to just get on a task and get it done. Now I delay awhile, think about it, think how tiring it sounds, and it seems to take me longer than it used to. Man, I could mow the yard, change out my brake pads, play with the kids, and other stuff back to back for hours on end. Now I just think about trying to do all that and roll my eyes...

Yeah, I think my T levels are dropping. I used to just get on a task and get it done. Now I delay awhile, think about it, think how tiring it sounds, and it seems to take me longer than it used to. Man, I could mow the yard, change out my brake pads, play with the kids, and other stuff back to back for hours on end. Now I just think about trying to do all that and roll my eyes...

I'm with ya there! It's like a pep talk every day. "Come on, you can do it! Get out there and do...something...! :laughing:

I'm with ya there! It's like a pep talk every day. "Come on, you can do it! Get out there and do...something...! :laughing:

It seems the daily tasks and to do lists get tougher and longer. Coaxing myself to start on something large is like trying to get a baby to start walking. Some days, I would love to lounge around and just let the whole day pass on bye.

I'm actually thinking it might be the heat and humidity of the summer. 99% of the junk I have to do is outside and just stepping out in it hits you right away and it's like "Blah!" Maybe it'll be better once things cool down a little.

Some doctors will likely tell you if you eat a healthy diet with enough fruits, vegetables, nuts, fish, lean chicken, ect. that normally there will not be a need for vitamin pills.

Of course if your system is low on some vitamins and/or minerals a blood test will tell for sure and the doctor can then determine if some ailment is responsible or if you simply need to improve your diet.

If you ever do decide to take any vitamins be careful as some vitamins can be toxic to your system if you take too much.

Some doctors will likely tell you if you eat a healthy diet with enough fruits, vegetables, nuts, fish, lean chicken, ect. that normally there will not be a need for vitamin pills.

Of course if your system is low on some vitamins and/or minerals a blood test will tell for sure and the doctor can then determine if some ailment is responsible or if you simply need to improve your diet.

If you ever do decide to take any vitamins be careful as some vitamins can be toxic to your system if you take too much.

Yeah, you can "overdose" on some and really hurt your kidneys.

Yeah, you can "overdose" on some and really hurt your kidneys.

Yeah, that's why I like to carefully research anything like that, even prescriptions, for cautions and side effects, as you don't want the "cure" to cause more problems than the initial problem.

And yes, be very protective of your kidneys, I have a friend who has to have to go to a center to have kidney dialysis done 3 times a week for hours at a time and his kidney problems effects other aspects of his health.

The excessive heat can even effect young people and be very draining.

If you have the basics of a healthy diet, proper sleep, and enough exercise covered and still feel drained when not in the excessive heat then you might consider a blood test for the levels of vitamins and minerals in your system just in case something is low enough to be causing a lack of energy and why it is low.

But personally I prefer vitamins and minerals from nature's source - foods rather than pills unless absolutely necessary.

Doctors don't want you to eat healthy. Job security.
Multivitamin and herbal cholesterol horse pills for me.
Dropped 40 lbs and I quit buying smokes. I didn't say I quit smoking.;)

The best thing I discovered late in life is D3 suppliment. Made a world of difference, and I discovered that a high percentage of us are low in vitamin D.

Get the D3, not other D suppliments. D3 absorbs fast, and you can't really take too much. I take a 1000U each day and results are quick, almost immediate.

You buy them over the counter about anywhere.

You gotta find what fuels work best for you and your unique little engine...also its optimum hours of the day and operating temps.

For me its Oatmeal, plain and simple, no milk or sugar, maybe a handful of dried cherries or raisins, orange juice, a cheap nearly expired 'Mgrs Special' round steak a few times/week. No sodas or sugars or processed foods, fresh vegetables/fruit...From 5am until noon, 45 degrees and overcast...Thats when I'm firing on all 8 and can get a tremendous amount of work done, the rest of the time I'm just idling...

Plus, we eat entirely too much...a guy should really cut down the intake, and keep everything cleaned out..also, get in really cold water up to your neck, it kicks up the metabolism and forces the body to burn every waste calorie it has stored to keep you from dying of hypothermia...its amazing how exhausted and depleted you can get from a couple of hours in cold water...it feels good..you can feel the body throwing everything extra into the furnace to keep the fire lit..

I am 57, on no prescriptions and take no supplements...you can sort of 'fast' once/month for a few days...just drink some sort of juice and a lot of water...you will feel a heck of a lot better just with cutting your diet in half..Good luck MrN..you are way too young to feel that damned old!:laughing:
Mud

Don't know what your eating habits are or your weight, but just eating healthy for me helps me feel better, plus I do a light dumbbell workout every morning, dropped 40lbs, helped me dig longer

Don't know what your eating habits are or your weight, but just eating healthy for me helps me feel better, plus I do a light dumbbell workout every morning, dropped 40lbs, helped me dig longer

I do a heavy dumbbell workout every morning. "Hey dumbbell, get the ladders off the van!". "Hey dumbbell, why you put the sprayer directly in the sun every damn day?"...:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom