Go grab Harry real fast and come back...

NectarDetector

Forum Supporter
We've all done it, or fell for it... share yours...

On my first day on the job doing concrete my boss says to me "Hey man, I need you to run over there and get Harry and come back as fast as you can."

So, I ran over to the truck where a couple of other guys were working...

I said "Which one of you is Harry?" The buff dude says "We're both hairy!"

I laughed and said, "No seriously, where's Harry?"

Buff dude says "I dunno" Other guy says "I haven't seen him for awhile." and they're both standing there laughing their butts off.

I said "Hey man, I need Harry the boss told me to come get him and hurry back over there." The one guy reaches down in the truck and throws me a broom and says "Here's Hairy!"

I busted out laughing and looked back over at my boss and his brother and they were laughing so hard their heads looked like they were about to pop... yeah yeah, I fell for it "Hairy" was a broom.

(Finished concrete for 10 years), after that lol

So, not to be out done I told my cousin when we were forming a driveway I said "Dammit this board is too short, go in the back of the truck and get that board stretcher...." So he went over to the truck and he's taking everything out of it as he's saying "Dude, what does it look like?" I said "Quit messin around man, grab it and c'mon lets get this done..." After another few minutes of him removing everything from the back of the truck (wanted it cleaned out anyway!) I couldn't resist any more and busted out laughing...

My cousin just shook his head and said "Ahh man, I can't believe I fell for that!" Still makes me giggle to this day...

So... tell on yourself, what tricks have you fallen for at work or played on someone else?

:lol:

We send new employees after sky hooks and pipe stretchers all the time. The funniest was the time we sent this poor guy after a bucket of welding sparks (yeah, he was a real Einstein).. He went back and forth asking different workers where to get them. Each time they sent him to someone else. Finally he walks up to one of our veteran welders who is known for being extremely grouchy. He looks at the guy and says "get yer bucket and hold it right here dumb***". :lol:

Being a shade tree mechanic, and doing my own vehicle repairs, I got a few people with blinker fluid, we had a guy argue with the parts store counter guy that he needed it.
My daughter in law almost fell for it as well. the worst one was "cool touch headers" you know, exhaust headers that do not get hot? Also try the 710 cap, OIL cap upside down.
Never fell for any because I started real young by listening while my father and older brothers were talking cars.

Did send a few co-op kids for left handed screwdrivers, joist stretcher, and gutter jack.

Worked for a mason that always sent the nubes to get the six foot level out of the glove box.:D If it started raining he'd scream "Cover up the water barrel before it gets wet!". I never fell for either, but we sure had some slickies who did though!!:laughing: Us painters like to tell the new guys to grab a left handed sash tool.

Okay, now keep in mind I was only about 15 years old at the time......

I got a part-time job at a fast food place called "Gino's" and back then they also had the rights to sell KFC chicken.

Anyhow, outside they had a huge replica of the KFC bucket on top of a high pole and it would light up at night and spin around.

As a new employee they said one thing that needed done occasionally was to take a ladder climb up and sit inside the trap door on the bottom of the bucket and to use a damp sponge to wipe down the inside so the light shines thru better.

So I'm sitting inside with my feet hanging out and they turn it on and I'm spinning around like a carnival ride :shock:

THEN they tell me it's not something that needs done, just a joke :laughing:

.......now if that wasn't enough......

They later sent me next door to a "Harley's Sub Shop" to borrow a jar of "mustard thinner", the people at the sub shop said something like "you are the 3rd person they sent here in the last few months to ask for that, there is no such thing" :laughing::laughing::laughing:

710 cap..."So I'm sitting inside with my feet hanging out and they turn it on and I'm spinning around like a carnival ride "

LMBOOOOOOO:laughing:

I work P/T in an auto parts store, I told a kid one time the spark plugs were to keep the sparks from leaking out of the engine...

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

If you ever have someone ask you for recommendations on what model of car you think is best tell them they definitely do NOT want the kind of car you once had ......a "Coast Canharly"

....they'll likely ask "what's a "Coast Canharly" ? :?:

tell them .....it coasts down one hill and can hardly get up the next ! :laughing:

I went to a vocational high school and studied auto body repair, new freshmen students would come in every few months to check out the shop before choosing their vocation, They would commonly be sent to the tool crib for a body punch (witch they would get by the way) :shock: Amazing how many fell for that one. They would also be sent into storage area above the tool crib to search through boxes looking for such things as: rubber headlights and creeper pillows. I have to admit as a freshman myself I fell for the body punch, sounds like a legit tool for a auto body shop.

I went to a vocational high school and studied auto body repair, new freshmen students would come in every few months to check out the shop before choosing their vocation, They would commonly be sent to the tool crib for a body punch (witch they would get by the way) :shock: Amazing how many fell for that one. They would also be sent into storage area above the tool crib to search through boxes looking for such things as: rubber headlights and creeper pillows. I have to admit as a freshman myself I fell for the body punch, sounds like a legit tool for a auto body shop.

Too funny! I also studied auto body repair in high school, 1 hour a day per semester first year, and 2 hours a day per semester the following years. One of the best times of my life!

I was a construction foreman for 10 years (before I got I to academia). We built roof trusses and we had a running gag with the guys down in the office. If I had a new guy that was a dud and was underfoot, I would send him off for the elusive "board stretcher". They would eventually return, often out of breath, from the office asking "They want to know if you want the left handed threads or right handed threads?" I always say "Heck I can't remember, but I'm sure it was the red one..." On the return trip the office guys ALWAYS told them... Lol. Some were smiling and some were plenty ticked off. I miss those days.

I work P/T in an auto parts store, I told a kid one time the spark plugs were to keep the sparks from leaking out of the engine...

Grumpy, your story reminds me of a good one. My 73 year old dad is a lifelong self employed mechanic. He is a jack of all trades. One guy brought his dieseling car by that wouldn't die even when turned off for my dad to diagnose. He told him quickly that the timing was too fast and needed backed off. The guy said thanks and drove off. The next day he came back and was a bit miffed, he said it didn't help at all. Dad grabbed his distributor wrench and his timing light and told the guy to pop the hood. The guy said "What are those for?" pointing to the timing light. Dad opened the hood to a tangled mass of seemingly never ending wires on top of wires. Dad added a few expletives and asked "What in the h3ll have you done?" (This was back in the day when you could buy a spool/roll of spark plug wire. The guy said stone faced serious, "You said the timing was too fast!!! So I added enough wire so the spark would slow down..."

I kid you not.

I was a construction foreman for 10 years (before I got I to academia). We built roof trusses and we had a running gag with the guys down in the office. If I had a new guy that was a dud and was underfoot, I would send him off for the elusive "board stretcher". They would eventually return, often out of breath, from the office asking "They want to know if you want the left handed threads or right handed threads?" I always say "Heck I can't remember, but I'm sure it was the red one..." On the return trip the office guys ALWAYS told them... Lol. Some were smiling and some were plenty ticked off. I miss those days.

Grumpy, your story reminds me of a good one. My 73 year old dad is a lifelong self employed mechanic. He is a jack of all trades. One guy brought his dieseling car by that wouldn't die even when turned off for my dad to diagnose. He told him quickly that the timing was too fast and needed backed off. The guy said thanks and drove off. The next day he came back and was a bit miffed, he said it didn't help at all. Dad grabbed his distributor wrench and his timing light and told the guy to pop the hood. The guy said "What are those for?" pointing to the timing light. Dad opened the hood to a tangled mass of seemingly never ending wires on top of wires. Dad added a few expletives and asked "What in the h3ll have you done?" (This was back in the day when you could buy a spool/roll of spark plug wire. The guy said stone faced serious, "You said the timing was too fast!!! So I added enough wire so the spark would slow down..."

I kid you not.

LOL :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I was a contractor many years ago. We had a job once on new construction of apartment buildings where we were subcontracted to put the decks on each unit. There was about 100 of them so we hired some help. We built one on top of each other (4 stories) and had to put flashing in between the building and the frame. The one new hire was a timid young man named Jeff. I told Jeff to go ask Sam, the foreman, for the "deck flashing spot welder". Sam was an ex-marine and hated it when someone didn't know what they were talking about. Jeff walked over to Sam which was about 100 yards away, then we heard Sam yell for about 2 minutes. Jeff finally got back over to us and of course we're just laughing our bums off. Jeff was completely red in the face and said "I've only been here an hour and I already hate you guys". Jeff turned out to be a great worker and he took the jokes well too!

Being carpenters we would send new guys for the left handed cresent wrench or the ever elusive bucket full of knot holes.

oh ya.....14yr aircraft mechanic in the military.....

sent guys off to get:
- aircraft keys
- a yard of flight line
- a foot of fallopian tube
- various tools that didn't exist

The fallopian tube was the best - that kid went every where. He ended up at the hospital where a tech taught him about the female anatomy. We had to stop since some guys were gone a better part of a day since EVERYONE knew what was going on with the green horn.

Ohhh yeah!
Guide Dogs for the Blind, San Rafael campus.

The instructors LOVED to get the ones coming for their first dogs!
On the day *before* we were assigned our dogs, it went something like this...

"Now these dogs are *very* highly trained and extremely valuable and sensitive. One of the things you must learn to do is clean up after your dog."

OK we were all game. We knew that dogs had to bo to the bathroom, and that we would have to pick up after them, but it didn't stop there.

"You will be trained not only to find the deposit, but also to clean your dog afterward. You will each be given a roll of toilet paper in order to see to it that your dog's behind is perfectly clean after she has defecated."

EVERYONE fell for it!! We were given 'TP' and you should have HEARD the discussion after the trainers left and we headed to lunch!!

"Oh my god! I'n NOT gonna do it!"
"They said we had to FEEL for the dog's butt?!"
"I think I'm gonna be sick!"

LOL The people who were getting their second or third dog already knew the joke. SOMETIMES they would have pity on the newbs! And sometimes they would just fan the flames!

SageGrouse

Back
Top Bottom