Just got the Tesoro Cibola, excited to learn its abilities

Midknight

Elite Member
I decided a couple of weeks ago to treat myself to a new to me detector (hadn't bought one in 5 yrs) but wanted something different from the ace 250 or at pro. I decided to give Tesoro a try, and ended up with a Cibola with a 11X8 coil from Jerry at Antique Detectors.

I was finally able to take it out for a few minutes tonight before the mosquitos started eating me. Didn't find anything amazing, but was able to pretty quickly and easily figure out how the Cibola basically operates. It only has one tone, but by controlling the disc knob and the sensitivity knob you can get a pretty good idea of what the target is... For example, you can turn the disc knob past foil and only dig pulltabs and above... at least according to theory.

As I mentioned above it only has one tone, but the tone can vary to tell you what something is. An example: I was digging in a sandy area next to a parking lot and got a solid quick tone, and with the very accurate pinpoint I got a dime. A few feet away I got another tone, although this one was different. It was indeed the same tone, but it crackled. With this bit of knowledge, I immediately realized this target was probably gonna be a piece of garbage, most likely a bottle cap... dug it out, and sure enough a bottle cap. What the Cibola did with this bottle cap was partially ignore it because it knew it was made of something it was supposed to disc out... in this case IRON... but just like the Ace and ATP, there is something in bottlecaps that makes it think it may be a good target. Unlike the Garrett's, however, the Tesoro doesn't use multiple tones and visual ID to tell you this... instead it relies on a difference in one tone to help disc out the object.

Now, back to the pinpoint feature of the Cibola... if you've ever looked into Tesoro's lineup you have probably realized that Tesoro doesn't put a pinpoint on many of it mds, even some of the higher end ones. In fact, you don't get a pinpoint option from Tesoro until you get up to the Cibola, which is above the Compadre, Silver Umax, and the new Mojave. Even after you get above the Cibola, not every one of their mds has a pinpoint. I'm not arguing this as a problem, but just thought I'd mention it... I have previously used my cousins ace 150 and no pinpoint isn't a huge game changer generally speaking.

The reason I bring up the pinpoint feature on the Cibola is because it is slightly different from any other md I have used, at least from my initial test. With the ace 250 and ATP you can hold the PP button down continuously while swinging over the target and the pinpoint will continue to work. With the Cibola the PP button appears to only allow pinpointing for one swing over the target before you need to release to reset. Like I said, I've only used it for about 15 minutes, but if this is correct I'm gonna have to get used to that difference.

Anyway, just thought I would share a few of my initial thoughts... more to come in the future!!!!

I hope this helps anyone looking into the Cibola, or any of Tesoro's low to upper low level mds!!! Please let me know if it does.

On my Vaq that one swing over a target thing you mentioned doesn't happen.
Hitting that pinpoint button effectively switches the unit to all metal, same as if you turned the knob down to all metal, so you should be able to do this all day every day.
If you hit that button while your coil is over a target you are not exactly pinpointing correctly but detuning instead, a good way to narrow down the area even smaller and I can only guess this might be happening to you.

I always got a target location by swinging, moved the coil about 8" away and hit the button then slowly moved the coil over to the suspected location area to zero in listening for the loudest tone.
As long as I kept that button pressed the all metal threshold tone never went away...if it did after one swing that would be a real drag and your Cibola should work exactly the same way.

BTW...I also use a Compadre and a Mojave with no pinpoint feature but never needed it nor did I use the pinpoint much when I used the Vaq except for a few very deep targets to qualify them.
Just a few side to side swipes over a target while watching the coil and when you get he beep can tell you where targets are located with pretty much laser-like accuracy...I am talking to the inch.
I call this eye-coil coordination.
Most Tesoro people know and can do this, just takes a little practice.

I decided a couple of weeks ago to treat myself to a new to me detector (hadn't bought one in 5 yrs) but wanted something different from the ace 250 or at pro. I decided to give Tesoro a try, and ended up with a Cibola with a 11X8 coil from Jerry at Antique Detectors.

I was finally able to take it out for a few minutes tonight before the mosquitos started eating me. Didn't find anything amazing, but was able to pretty quickly and easily figure out how the Cibola basically operates. It only has one tone, but by controlling the disc knob and the sensitivity knob you can get a pretty good idea of what the target is... For example, you can turn the disc knob past foil and only dig pulltabs and above... at least according to theory.

As I mentioned above it only has one tone, but the tone can vary to tell you what something is. An example: I was digging in a sandy area next to a parking lot and got a solid quick tone, and with the very accurate pinpoint I got a dime. A few feet away I got another tone, although this one was different. It was indeed the same tone, but it crackled. With this bit of knowledge, I immediately realized this target was probably gonna be a piece of garbage, most likely a bottle cap... dug it out, and sure enough a bottle cap. What the Cibola did with this bottle cap was partially ignore it because it knew it was made of something it was supposed to disc out... in this case IRON... but just like the Ace and ATP, there is something in bottlecaps that makes it think it may be a good target. Unlike the Garrett's, however, the Tesoro doesn't use multiple tones and visual ID to tell you this... instead it relies on a difference in one tone to help disc out the object.

Now, back to the pinpoint feature of the Cibola... if you've ever looked into Tesoro's lineup you have probably realized that Tesoro doesn't put a pinpoint on many of it mds, even some of the higher end ones. In fact, you don't get a pinpoint option from Tesoro until you get up to the Cibola, which is above the Compadre, Silver Umax, and the new Mojave. Even after you get above the Cibola, not every one of their mds has a pinpoint. I'm not arguing this as a problem, but just thought I'd mention it... I have previously used my cousins ace 150 and no pinpoint isn't a huge game changer generally speaking.

The reason I bring up the pinpoint feature on the Cibola is because it is slightly different from any other md I have used, at least from my initial test. With the ace 250 and ATP you can hold the PP button down continuously while swinging over the target and the pinpoint will continue to work. With the Cibola the PP button appears to only allow pinpointing for one swing over the target before you need to release to reset. Like I said, I've only used it for about 15 minutes, but if this is correct I'm gonna have to get used to that difference.

Anyway, just thought I would share a few of my initial thoughts... more to come in the future!!!!

I hope this helps anyone looking into the Cibola, or any of Tesoro's low to upper low level mds!!! Please let me know if it does.

Only prob with tesoro is you will have to thumb the knob too much to id
targets. I love their lightweight and recovery speed. Wish they had multitone.

The best things about Tesoros are the light weight. I had a Cibola with the newer DD coil and it loved bigger iron. Had a Vaquero with the concentric and it seemed to handle the big iron better. Depth was never a problem with them. I just like to have a display and multitones to quickly get a better idea of what Im digging

I gotta a deep nickel in my test garden.
Used a bud's of mine Cibola unit.

I was impressed at the signal provided.

targets.

Set it at nickle, and dig it all. Unless you're hunting a poptop/foil infested area. I stopped thumbing the disc knob long ago, I could dig about as quick as I could fool with the knob.

On my Vaq that one swing over a target thing you mentioned doesn't happen.
Hitting that pinpoint button effectively switches the unit to all metal, same as if you turned the knob down to all metal, so you should be able to do this all day every day.
If you hit that button while your coil is over a target you are not exactly pinpointing correctly but detuning instead, a good way to narrow down the area even smaller and I can only guess this might be happening to you.

I always got a target location by swinging, moved the coil about 8" away and hit the button then slowly moved the coil over to the suspected location area to zero in listening for the loudest tone.
As long as I kept that button pressed the all metal threshold tone never went away...if it did after one swing that would be a real drag and your Cibola should work exactly the same way.

BTW...I also use a Compadre and a Mojave with no pinpoint feature but never needed it nor did I use the pinpoint much when I used the Vaq except for a few very deep targets to qualify them.
Just a few side to side swipes over a target while watching the coil and when you get he beep can tell you where targets are located with pretty much laser-like accuracy...I am talking to the inch.
I call this eye-coil coordination.
Most Tesoro people know and can do this, just takes a little practice.

Hunted with the Cibola today, and it looks like I was messing around p the pinpoint before now because now it works just like any other.Lol It's pretty accurate with its pinpoint which is nice.

targets. I love their lightweight and recovery speed. Wish they had multitone.

I've been leaving the disc knob just below nickel, and it's working pretty well. It's just every so often my fingers accidentally move it.

The golden umax used to have 4 tones I believe, but they stopped producing it a few yrs ago due to a part supplier issue according to them.

Set it at nickle, and dig it all. Unless you're hunting a poptop/foil infested area. I stopped thumbing the disc knob long ago, I could dig about as quick as I could fool with the knob.

This.

I set my disc at I^ron. No thumb action for me.

Sure I dig the foils and some deep rusty iron, can slaw etc, but won't be missing much of the gold I feel... :)

Back
Top Bottom