Medieval find.

bodkin

Elite Member
Hello all.

Went out for a few hours on Saturday with a buddy. Before long it was obvious the pasture was very quiet with very few signals. After a while we moved down to where spuds had been planted to check the corners where tractors had turned. We were there only a few minutes when I had a good signal. It was a Circa 1250 AD Medieval shield pendent depicting the crest of a Knight. It was fixed to the horse's leather work via a riveted bar and link which wears thin over time, then they fall off. The crest of the bird you see on the bronze pendent would also have appeared on the Knight's shield. As well as decoration, the pendent served to identify the owner of the horse - like a private licence plate perhaps...... An Elizabeth 1st hammered Sixpence was also recovered but this is very worn and stained. It would have looked like the one in my avatar.

Many thanks,

b.

Attachments

• rsz_dscf5050.jpg
    rsz_dscf5050.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,737
  • rsz_dscf5051.jpg
    rsz_dscf5051.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,689
  • rsz_dscf5068.jpg
    rsz_dscf5068.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 1,681
  • rsz_dscf5067.jpg
    rsz_dscf5067.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,689
  • rsz_dscf5072 (1).jpg
    rsz_dscf5072 (1).jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,691
Cool find! Congratulations.

There's some serious history in the soil in England. I'm jealous. :D

Are there records or is there anyway to trace the shield to the Knight it belonged to?

Nice finds. Congratulations. Thanks for sharing, probably the only way I am ever going to see something like that. lol

Cool find! Congratulations.

There's some serious history in the soil in England. I'm jealous. :D

Are there records or is there anyway to trace the shield to the Knight it belonged to?

Thank you, Sometimes the Knight can be identified. I think I know to whom it belonged because of where it was found, but will wait for the Museum report before whooping so loud that you will hear me over there!

Nice finds. Congratulations. Thanks for sharing, probably the only way I am ever going to see something like that. lol

Thanks. I guess so, we hadn't got over to your side of the pond by then..... I hope I'm in a good area so you will be able to see more.

Thank you, Sometimes the Knight can be identified. I think I know to whom it belonged because of where it was found, but will wait for the Museum report before whooping so loud that you will hear me over there!

Do tell us when you find out, very intrigued!

Thanks everyone and yes, I will update this thread with any info from the Museum. It will take a few weeks before I hear anything though.

Back
Top Bottom