AT Pro Question.....Again

wvdave107

Elite Member
Forgive me for posting/ asking questions I'm sure someone has already asked. I am brand new to this and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Trying to get as much info on my machine as I possibly can....

I've noticed, 3-4 times, in the last few days that I'm missing/ not finding targets. I have had solid numbers/ tones, depth showing in the 6"-8" range and using the pin-point feature getting a rough idea of the location. These signals have been in the mid 70's-mid 80's. I dig the plug, check it and the hole with my pin-pointer and nothing. I'll run my detector over the spot and it still shows a target. Well, I keep digging....and nothing. Can't even get the pin-pointer to hit anything. Am I just not going deep enough? Or, am I doing something wrong? I have found several very small targets, pennies, small brads and fired modern bullets. Some of these 6" plus. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Do you have a pin pointer? If so, all detectors only give an
estimate of depth. Sometimes, depending on the target it can be way off. If you keep getting a diggable signal, Keep going until you find it. This is the learning curve my friend...

Do you have a pin pointer? If so, all detectors only give an
estimate of depth. Sometimes, depending on the target it can be way off. If you keep getting a diggable signal, Keep going until you find it. This is the learning curve my friend...

I do have a pin-pointer, the pro-pointer AT. Use it religiously...LOL Guess I'll just keep diggin'....LOL Appreciate the info

Sometimes, it's a very large object in the ground, but I also use the ATP and I have other machines as well. Posse, turn on off the pin pointer to reset it.

If it's a large object, swing coil 6" above grass, if you get a beep, most likely a large object like an aluminum can

I've noticed, 3-4 times, in the last few days that I'm missing/ not finding targets...
If it's a large object, swing coil 6" above grass, if you get a beep, most likely a large object like an aluminum can
I agree that this is often what happens. This also happens when you are in an area with dense mineral deposits, hot rocks, or salt water. ...where as the ATPP isn't affected as easily.

Could be a really small object that's closer to the surface but showing deeper on the depth meter. Like a 22 casing or bullet. If it's still reading in the hole it could be really deep big iron. Or areas of coal cinders. You can get all kinds of craziness on a machine where coal ashes were dumped years ago.

I had a solid 80's 6-8 inches. Ended up digging a 3 foot deep hole, even at the bottom it reads solid 80's 6-8 inches. I gave up. If I had a backhoe I'd keep going. I figure it's either a Civil War cannon or a Buick.

Raise your coil while swinging over the target if it's still beeping a foot of the ground it's probably big and deep.

The depth is just the machines best guess and it's based on coin size targets if your running pro mode and raise the coil while swinging you can get as good at guessing as the machine.

Could be a really small object that's closer to the surface but showing deeper on the depth meter. Like a 22 casing or bullet. If it's still reading in the hole it could be really deep big iron. Or areas of coal cinders. You can get all kinds of craziness on a machine where coal ashes were dumped years ago.

I get that a lot, I do a lot of hunting near old houses near rail roads and old coal mining towns, I tend to find a lot of hot rocks

Sometimes, it's a very large object in the ground, but I also use the ATP and I have other machines as well. Posse, turn on off the pin pointer to reset it.

This! ^^^

Back
Top Bottom