A Silver Yesterday…I Think?

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
Got permission to leave work a little early for a planned hunt for the about 3:30 low tide. In the first 10-15 minutes of the hunt I picked up the child’s ring which I think is probably silver. Under 4 hours of hunting trying to get to that elusive 1st yellow of 2017. It didn’t happen but still had a fun hunt. I’m going to clean the large dragon pendant thingy since it looks like it might be cool.

Question: I tried cleaning the ring with the aluminum foil, baking soda and a bit of vinegar. When I took it out to rub it a bit the ring broke. I will remove the stone and keep it. Do the leftover parts of the ring have any value to sell as scrap silver if that’s what it is?

Attachments

• 1-13-17.jpg
    1-13-17.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 1-13-16 Silver Ring1.jpg
    1-13-16 Silver Ring1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 1-13-17 Silver Ring.jpg
    1-13-17 Silver Ring.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 139
Looks like silver to me Felix... I have quite a few of those.. when they are brittle like that they have turned to silver oxide.

Looks like silver to me Felix... I have quite a few of those.. when they are brittle like that they have turned to silver oxide.

I remember you saying that some time back. I have a few others. Is it sold as scrap or is it worthless?

Yep same in fresh water. I have had dimes do that. Break off the oxide and nothing left of the dime. Even have put holes in them. That is why I don't clean my silver. All the older stuff goes to scrap and that oxide counts. Might not be a lot but it all adds up. Lakes with a lot of pine trees or oak trees around them are worse than others. Also silver that is in muck around weeds does the same thing.

Glad you can get out Felix. I am in about 8" of snow and there is ice on all the lakes.

Back
Top Bottom