When Pinpointing, Where Is The Target Under An Oval Coil?

Nicholas West

Hello everybody !

I am new to this wonderful forum, and to the sport of metal detecting.

I'm using a Fisher F44 detector with an 11" oval coil.

My question is: when pinpointing, where is "X marks the spot" in regards to the coil? When you stop moving the coil on the strongest response, where under the coil is the target?

it's a large pointed oval, wider at the bottom than at the tip. Is the target under the center of the hole in the middle? At the top of the center hole? Under where the coil is attached to the pole? Under the tip of the coil? I've done a lot of pinpointing where the target ends up being quite a few inches away from the center of the coil even though I carefully marked where the response was strongest, thinking it was under the very center of the coil.

Fisher is uninformative about this to say the least. You'd think they'd make it very clear where the pinpoint target location will be under their oval coil.

Any thoughts on this would be very welcome! Regards - Nicholas

I'm not familiar with the F44, but this is from the manual. I use the technique listed under "pinpointing using motion modes" on my detector. If your coil is a DD, (like mine is) the wiggle and slide back technique is easy. Wiggle the coil over the target and slide back until the signal stops. The target will be right at the center tip of your coil.

(COPIED FROM THE MANUAL)

PINPOINT
Press and hold to activate. Search coil motion is not required; a motionless searchcoil over a metal target will induce sound.
Audio is V.C.O. The 2-digit number displayed indicates target depth, in inches. The scale is calibrated to coin-sized objects.After you have identified a target using a motion mode of detection, press snd hold the to identify the target’s exact location. This technique can yield more information about the target’s shape and size and also find its exact location to facilitate extraction.
Pinpoint as follows: 1.Press and hold 2.Position the searchcoil just barely off the ground and to the side of the
target.
3.Move the search coil slowly across the target.
The target is located directly under where the sound is loudest.

COIL DRIFT
If you plan to use PINPOINT for continuous searching, realize that drift will occur over time, causing the detector to gain or lose sensitivity. Periodic retuning of the detector is required to minimize drift; release and press periodically to retune.

PINPOINTING USING MOTION MODES
1. Sweep over target in narrowing side-to-side patterns.
2. Visualize a “center line” on the ground where “beep” occurs.
3. Rotate 90° and now sweep along this imaginary line.
4. Visualize a second “center line” on the ground where “beep” occurs.
5. The “X” center pinpoints the target location.

Thank you Stiffwrists!

The manual says "3.Move the search coil slowly across the target.
The target is located directly under where the sound is loudest. "

That actually tells you nothing, because without knowing what is the center position of the signal from the oval coil, you don't know if the sound is loudest because the tip of the coil is over the target, the side of the coil is over the target, the center hole is over the target, the back of the coil is over the target....you get the idea.

With a round coil, one can assume the sound will be loudest when the center hole of the coil is over the target. Correct me if I'm wrong. But with a long oval coil, it's hard to tell what part of the coil is over the target when you get the loudest pinpoint sound.

Welcome to the hobby!!

Taken from the manual-
PINPOINT
Press and hold to activate. Searchcoil motion is not required; a motionless
searchcoil over a metal target will induce sound.
Audio is V.C.O. The 2-digit number displayed indicates target depth, in inches

As I read the manual, it appears the pinpoint feature also gives you a depth reading while pinpointing. Generally speaking you would be pinpointed when that number is the lowest you can get.

Assuming you mean the 11 inch DD coil (there is a center rib going front to back), I would expect it to pinpoint in the center. I have this type coil on my T2 and center of coil is where I find the goodies.

If you mean the 11 inch semi elliptical "teardrop" concentric coil, I would still expect it to pinpoint items in the center of the inner loop.

In either case, drop a penny on the ground and pinpoint it while holding the coil a couple or three inches above the coin. When you have your smallest reading in inches, look through the coil and note the coins position in relation to the coil.

I didnt read through all the post on this thread but try this. Get you some coins, jewelry, etc... Lay them out in your yard, see where they pinpoint under your coil. Better yet, tape them to a piece of cardboard, turn them over so you cant see them, THEN practice pin pointing.

I didnt read through all the post on this thread but try this. Get you some coins, jewelry, etc... Lay them out in your yard, see where they pinpoint under your coil. Better yet, tape them to a piece of cardboard, turn them over so you cant see them, THEN practice pin pointing.

What he said. You'll get it in 10 minutes.

Yes..practice...also, back your sens way down to half...it will tighten up your signal location and allow the Proportional audio to tell you right where the target is by the tone strength..Thats good to practice as well as hunt.....FWIW, I have an 11"dd on my main broom F70 and I havnt pushed the PP button in over 7years...

To pinpoint, I hop the coil above the target and I know right where it is in a golfball sized area..Hopping coil to pinpoint, I can more effectively isolate a single target especially when there may be a few at once under the coil, like in a tight multidenom spill or in a trashy park.......I only use a screwdriver as a target extraction device, and I dont use a handheld pinpointer either..Its way much fast, and that is my goal...SPEED...In the right locations, I can easily pull 90+ coins per hour...Getting really fast on pinpointing and target extraction methods make this possible..."Ping to pouch in 10sec"...

Attachments

• nov 22-17.jpg
    nov 22-17.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 624
  • dec 11-15-4.jpg
    dec 11-15-4.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 623
  • nov 25-17-1.jpg
    nov 25-17-1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 633
I have noticed coins on edge are often a couple of inches from where I think they should be. Multiple targets mess things up too.

Thank you ALL for these great tips and I will explore them all. Sorry for the long delay in reply, as I was moving house.

Yes..practice...also, back your sens way down to half...it will tighten up your signal location and allow the Proportional audio to tell you right where the target is by the tone strength..Thats good to practice as well as hunt.....FWIW, I have an 11"dd on my main broom F70 and I havnt pushed the PP button in over 7years...

To pinpoint, I hop the coil above the target and I know right where it is in a golfball sized area..Hopping coil to pinpoint, I can more effectively isolate a single target especially when there may be a few at once under the coil, like in a tight multidenom spill or in a trashy park.......I only use a screwdriver as a target extraction device, and I dont use a handheld pinpointer either..Its way much fast, and that is my goal...SPEED...In the right locations, I can easily pull 90+ coins per hour...Getting really fast on pinpointing and target extraction methods make this possible..."Ping to pouch in 10sec"...

Thank you for this great reply Mud puppy! - Nicholas

Jerr-man, thank you for this terrific tip...I will do it. EXTREMELY helpful! - Nicholas

Welcome to the hobby!!

Taken from the manual-
PINPOINT
Press and hold to activate. Searchcoil motion is not required; a motionless
searchcoil over a metal target will induce sound.
Audio is V.C.O. The 2-digit number displayed indicates target depth, in inches

As I read the manual, it appears the pinpoint feature also gives you a depth reading while pinpointing. Generally speaking you would be pinpointed when that number is the lowest you can get.

Assuming you mean the 11 inch DD coil (there is a center rib going front to back), I would expect it to pinpoint in the center. I have this type coil on my T2 and center of coil is where I find the goodies.

If you mean the 11 inch semi elliptical "teardrop" concentric coil, I would still expect it to pinpoint items in the center of the inner loop.

In either case, drop a penny on the ground and pinpoint it while holding the coil a couple or three inches above the coin. When you have your smallest reading in inches, look through the coil and note the coins position in relation to the coil.

GA1dad - Of course, this is so obvious. Thank you so much, I feel like such a jackass for not thinking of this myself.

Back
Top Bottom