Church of the Mojave

Mojave...seems I made a great decision to get one!

Had mine about 2 months now and have been on several hunts.
Most areas I hunted have been in parks I have scoured over and over from several directions in both dry and wet conditions with several detectors and coils including the Compadre in most of them.
Some of these targets I might have never got a coil over before but over 90% of them I can assure you I have, these include some small areas in parks and a couple of very small lawns.
All areas have mineralized dirt both red clay and black soil but even the black stuff here GB's in the mid 60's on my Fisher...all areas are infested with old rusty iron pieces from small nails and screws up to much larger junk.

I have yet had a need to flip the switch to high mineralization yet, I have had some chatter due to EMI in a couple of sites but turning down the gain made it quiet.
About that gain...
I started out with this thing maxed and it worked fine but it picked up iron deep that came in high and solid and I had some issues with IDing a few targets like crown caps which did not disc out and came in solid.
Using another hunter's advice I turned the gain to 5, then to the 4 preset area and the disc got sharper and more accurate.
Recently on my last two hunts I turned the thing down to the 1-2 area and the disc got sharper still...the best thing about that is here, in my dirt, I don't seem to be losing much depth at all...if any.
My Compadre struggled here to get much past 3" in the bad stuff, my Vaq was more powerful and a bit deeper but the intense iron I deal with was a problem even using 3 different coils both a big DD and 2 concentrics.
The Mojave seems to be a delightful combination of the two with deeper depth than the Compadre but with a greater ability to pick through and find targets surrounded by and even next to or touching rusty iron.
At the very least targeting severely masked coins is easier in my situation and at a little deeper levels than using either...and I have many hundreds of hours experience using both in this environment.

One thing I discovered is now that I am getting a little deeper just like my Fisher the Mojave up-averages all targets past 3" here...coins, trash, all of it.
This is something I didn't notice much at all with either the Compadre or the Vaq but I sure notice it now.
Deeper nickels are coming in at tabs, tabs are coming in around zinc or even higher but as long as I know this I can deal with it easily.
Using my thumb up past the target fade out point then down to the area where they come in most targets seem to be behaving the same as I seemed to see on my other Tesoros...good targets usually come in solid and clean where most trash is usually a bit more noisy.
This is fine, if targets come in higher than normal when deeper I can deal with that easily as long as they behave correctly within observed parameters using my hunting methods.

I would have been happy to get just one more inch depth past my Compadre down to 4" but I am pleased to report that the Mojave is going way past that mark to the 5-6" level on coins consistently...and 4-6" is where I need to be to find a lot of great masked targets in heavily hunted sites that have been missed for decades around here.
It is possible that I might be able to hit non ferrous targets even deeper down to the 7-8" area, a place where I have dug a few great keepers with my F70 but those are rare, if I can get to 6" there is a ton of hidden gems hanging out in this devil dirt and I am thrilled to be able to just do that.
Maybe one day I can get past that too but like I said that depth is rare to hold decent targets around here.
The good thing about this red clay is even super old targets don't sink that far, the bad thing is the mineralization masks everything that is not shallow and add in the extra iron I have even more masking problems.
The Mojave seems to handle it all extremely well so far, much better than I hoped or dreamed when I took a chance and got this one.
In the great soil in Kansas this one and the Compadre might have been much more closer in performance but here the Mojave is superior and also easier and less frustrating to use than my Vaquero.
I traded away the Vaq to get this one because as much fun as I had in the past using it, and in great Kansas dirt it was fantastic, here things are different now so it went to a guy that hunts in way better dirt in Missouri so I consider this a definite win-win trade and I don't think I will ever regret this decision.
Honestly I don't know if I will be pulling out the Compadre much anymore, either.
I might keep it around for guest use or maybe sell it one day but right now I am down to using one Tesoro for my hunts and it seems to be the exact one I need for my situation.

Here are some of the highlights of my hunts, I have gathered a lot of clad in most areas I believed I cleaned up well but I was surprised when so many more coins showed up most of these were pleasant surprises.

The first short hunt in my neighborhood I found coins in some curb strips but also this coin sitting right next to this rusty screw.

user10659_pic75403_1494867103_PerfectlyClear (2).jpg

Within the first full hour I used it I found a masked merc in a small area I guarantee I have hunted in the past along with a friend of mine that uses an E Trac plus whoever else has hunted here for many decades.

user10659_pic75424_1495040719_PerfectlyClear0001_PerfectlyClear (3).jpg

These were just common coins but I found them deeper than I ever have before with my Tesoros and again in areas I had hunted in the past.

user10659_pic75478_1495362152_PerfectlyClear.jpg
user10659_pic75504_1495717361_PerfectlyClear.jpg

This was my first decent piece of jewelry, a silver bracelet marked 950 so foreign.
Made from nothing but tiny silver rings, the very thing that confuses most
detectors, it was solid and loud and I can't believe I missed it in the past.

photostudio_1496863204956 (3).jpg

Here is the second target I dug in a brand new permission in the lawn of a house on my block.

20170624_082039-1.jpg

This 1912 large One Penny coin was found in another lawn I hunted a lot and missed it time and time again.
In the hole with it was this large rusted nail that was either right next to it or it could have been touching it.
Not the most perfect signal but good enough so I went after it.

user10659_pic75845_1499107080_PerfectlyClear (2).jpg

On my last few hunts I have had the gain down low to between 1-2 as I mentioned.
Signals seem to be extra sharp with the gain that low.
I am still finding coins at 4"+ even that low and then I dug this iron thing up from the 8" depth level with that gain on 1.
I believe this might make it a pretty decent relic hunter.

user10659_pic75934_1500311762.jpg

So those are my impressions and highlights of my hunts.
I don't believe this is just a Compadre on steroids as some have proposed, it seems to be a little more than that.
We are already good buddies, I look forward to a long fruitful partnership for many seasons to come.

Last edited:
I picked up a new/unused Mojave from the Depot classifieds (for $200 shipped), but have yet to use it.

I had a question about the Hi/Low ground balance switch. As one cannot usually infer the GB simply by looking at the ground, how do you know which switch setting is going to be optimal?

Thanks!
Cal

Switch on low, sense on the #4, red diamond, preset position...disc knob in iron at 6:00.
Pump the coil.
If little or no reaction or noise you are fine, if not switch to high position.

Plenty of Mojave manuals online in pdf files, not a ton of info but more than the woeful one page instruction sheet you get with a Compadre.

Hey guys im gonna do a video on the mojave, please look at my channel and subscribe https://youtu.be/Stw0ObfEVBc

I need to know how would you like to run the test, i know thar the mohave has some depth reduced vs the other detectors but i know its gonna be the king in discrimination and separation

Im thinking of running it on:
high mineralization
Sens max
All metal - when i hit a target in the nail section move the discrimination up to the coin im hitting

Let me know if this would be the right way to use it on this type of scenario

Any help will be greatly apreciate it

Wouldn't start in high mineralization setting. Start with switch in low setting, sense at 4, and disc at minimum. Then bobthe coil up and down. If you get any falsing/ground feedback then switch to high ground setting.
Ive only needed to use high setting in some spots that are loaded with gravel thats a little hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool, in this ground i got 86 on the fisher f5 and 9 on the minelabn its really really mineralized but ill try what you sugest first :)

Definitely better depth if you can run in low setting. There have been some reports of it running fine in mineralized ground in the low setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While picking up new coils for my Explorer XS and Sovereign GT. I bit the bullet and picked up the Mojave. I also run an AT Pro and MXT.
I have to say this lil Injun is amazing in the nails. I have a highly mineralized beach. GB 90 to 98 on AT and 88 on my MXT. There used to be buildings on this beach in the early 1800’s. Some we’re demolished, others burned. After any nor easter storm, the west end of the beach is layered in rusty nails ontop of that mineralized sand. My Sovereign dies there, the Explorer has never found a coin there and the AT an Mxt have only found zinc.
I bought the Mojave just to try on this nails nightmare. And let me tell you, It blows my other machines outta the water on these nails. So far nothing old. But I’ve never pulled quarters, Nickle’s , dimes and pennies outta there. Also many lead sinkers. No silver yet, the coins were 70’s and 80’s. So far it has only hit on rough shaped graphite chunks, most are smooth and rounded. Only the Sovereign dus that. Oh forgot to mention. This old beach is just down current from one of the first docks on the Great Lakes. All kinds of ore, minerals and people have been brought in here since the early 1800’s.
I’m truly anxious to dig my first golden rings and earrings here this summer .
Thanks Tesoro, Excellent Machine!!!
T.M.
I can’t understand how this forum seems to have died on a very impressive iron nails coin shooter. I know the Equinox and a couple other new detectors have gotten everybody all excited, myself included. But this lil Injun, the Mojave truly needs some more looking into.

While picking up new coils for my Explorer XS and Sovereign GT. I bit the bullet and picked up the Mojave. I also run an AT Pro and MXT.
I have to say this lil Injun is amazing in the nails. I have a highly mineralized beach. GB 90 to 98 on AT and 88 on my MXT. There used to be buildings on this beach in the early 1800’s. Some we’re demolished, others burned. After any nor easter storm, the west end of the beach is layered in rusty nails ontop of that mineralized sand. My Sovereign dies there, the Explorer has never found a coin there and the AT an Mxt have only found zinc.
I bought the Mojave just to try on this nails nightmare. And let me tell you, It blows my other machines outta the water on these nails. So far nothing old. But I’ve never pulled quarters, Nickle’s , dimes and pennies outta there. Also many lead sinkers. No silver yet, the coins were 70’s and 80’s. So far it has only hit on rough shaped graphite chunks, most are smooth and rounded. Only the Sovereign dus that. Oh forgot to mention. This old beach is just down current from one of the first docks on the Great Lakes. All kinds of ore, minerals and people have been brought in here since the early 1800’s.
I’m truly anxious to dig my first golden rings and earrings here this summer .
Thanks Tesoro, Excellent Machine!!!
T.M.
I can’t understand how this forum seems to have died on a very impressive iron nails coin shooter. I know the Equinox and a couple other new detectors have gotten everybody all excited, myself included. But this lil Injun, the Mojave truly needs some more looking into.

Glad you are enjoying it! They are beasts in iron and great gold hunters, especially for the price!! With Tesoros you either like them or you don't. Especially with the modern electronics we come in contact with daily it's tough for newer detectorists to appreciate the simplicity and power of an analog detector circuit! They are kind of like the old three on a tree in your dads pick up. Still works great but everyone wants an automatic with a color TV. :laughing:
I have one that lives in my truck and a spare in the closet just in case. It's my new site scouting machine and woodchips gold jewelry Hoover! Also have a couple compadres in various states of modification. Viva TESORO!!!!

I have had my Mojave about 3 months, just changed the second battery. And I am as new as it gets to metal detecting. I can not say enough about the ease and fun this little detector is to use. I have found over $100 in clad, 5 rings, one sterling and a 10K gold class ring. Learning the Tesoro language and digging holes.! I am a member of the church!

I just joined the church and ordered a Mojave, drop shipped so hopefully Tesoro gets it out soon. I’ve missed a Tesoro since someone stole my Outlaw out of the back of my wife’s SUV.

No matter what detector I have, the simplicity of no screen is super appealing in days I just want to go out and dig everything and be surprised. It’s always days like that I pull rings. I can do it with my F75 and do, but the temptation to look drives me nuts.

Back
Top Bottom