• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Impact vs Rutus Alter

Donsell

Forum Supporter
I'd be interested in any objective thoughts on these two detectors. I've read about everything about both. They both seem like great machines. Both are deep and fast with a lot of user customization.

I have a feeling I'd be happy with either. I like that the Impact is user upgradable, available from US distributors and has tracking ground balance.

The Alter has more frequency adjustments, the hodograph would help ID finds. But it's not user upgradeable, and I'd have to order it from Great Britton.

The Alter is popular in Europe, but Impact doesn't seem to have sold as well. I've read people that have used one or the other, but not both.

The Alter is $800 delivered with two coils, the impact is $1000. But cost isn't the deciding factor.

Any advice?

Does the Alter have a depth indicator? Because that's the one thing the Impact seemingly doesn't have for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does the Alter have a depth indicator? Because that's the one thing the Impact seemingly doesn't have for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Impact has a depth meter.

Rutus don't if I understand correctly.

I have Impact,,don't have a Rutus.

No it doesn't. I've never trusted the depth indicator on my AT-Pro so that isn't a deal breaker for me.

I've read many good things about the Alter 71 and actually sent an email to the manufacturer to see possibilities for ordering one to the US. I've seen tests and the Rutus seems to be just as good as the XP Deus (if not better).

I only have the Rutus.

Rutus has been updated with a depth indicator.
Rutus has 71 freq settings, so doesn't need freq shift to eliminate emi or other detectors nearby, it's a quiet running machine even at full power, it rarely spits and farts!
The Impact can have updates online. The Rutus already allows you to change every aspect in the settings, to be able do the same with the Impact you'd need to ask Nokta to alter a program to download, not sure if this is an option?
Rutus runs both DD/CC coils, big plus for some.
Rutus is probably one of the fastest recovery/separators there is, if you consider nail board tests etc and take any other machine with equal size 11" coils, it's tops, could the Impact hang with it? i don't know as i've not yet seen a video of the Impacts speed/separation with anything other than the small coil.
It's as deep as you need, i've a deep pasture setting for coins that none of my previous screen ID machines can match, in comparison to an R2 with a Nel Tornado coil, it's 3" deeper on an English penny in my soil,
Rutus has just released the wireless module, and it's not expensive, and there's more coil options on the way.
The Rutus is ugly in comparison, but it's loads lighter with much longer battery life.
It's more a case of pros and cons, add them up and see which machine suits you best, if there's anything you need me to try out on the Rutus for you give me a shout and i'll try help.

Basically it's the machine i hoped the Impact would be!

P.S. or hold off and see what the new Garrett has....

Last edited:
I've read many good things about the Alter 71 and actually sent an email to the manufacturer to see possibilities for ordering one to the US. I've seen tests and the Rutus seems to be just as good as the XP Deus (if not better).

I ended up ordering from http://www.detecnicks.co.uk/. Email Laura there and she can give you instructions. They're sipping the latest software.

It's supposed to be here Thursday - 9 days after I ordered. Not too bad coming from the UK.

I only have the Rutus.
Rutus has just released the wireless module, and it's not expensive, and there's more coil options on the way.

Hey ghound,

Where did you read about the wireless module? I've been keeping an eye out for it and haven't seen anything on it yet.

The wireless audio receiver is listed on the Polish version of the site at he following link http://rutus.com.pl/pl/page/23/audio.

Basic translation into English:

Wireless digital audio receiver for Alter 71.
Designed specifically to prevent any audio delays.

Mini-jack 3.5mm, 2 channels, 1x AA alkaline battery will provide 20 hours, size is 55.88x71.12x18.03mm. weight will be about 2oz.

price with shipping in Poland is 200zl, so roughly $50 or so.

The Rutus always did catch my eye, comparing it to Deus seems like a tall order. I have the Deus.

Perhaps owning both would be redundant.

Deus looks like a great machine. I was down to the Impact or Rutus though. The hodograph tipped the balance for me.

Are you saying Bruce does not carry the Rutus in his shop?

Unfortunately not! I couldn't find it in the US at all so I ordered from the UK. I bought a machine for my son from Bruce last year though.

We should try to get a club hunt organized. Just to keep it going. Even if it's at a city park someplace it'd still be fun.

And it looks like you're off to a great start this year!

So is there any more info on this? My impact will be here this coming week and I'm hoping i made a good choice. My only problem with the Rutus is it's not available for sale in the US yet.

Is it much more capable than the Impact is my biggest question.

So is there any more info on this? My impact will be here this coming week and I'm hoping i made a good choice. My only problem with the Rutus is it's not available for sale in the US yet.

Is it much more capable than the Impact is my biggest question.

I got my Rutus Alter from England. It was about $800 delivered with 2 coils.

So far I'm very happy with it. You can adjust any setting to your liking but has default programs that work very well, so it isn't a difficult detector to you.

I've never used an Impact or compared it head to head with an Impact. I read good things about the Impact, but I'm not disappointed I went with the Rutus.

I got my Rutus Alter from England. It was about $800 delivered with 2 coils.

So far I'm very happy with it. You can adjust any setting to your liking but has default programs that work very well, so it isn't a difficult detector to you.

I've never used an Impact or compared it head to head with an Impact. I read good things about the Impact, but I'm not disappointed I went with the Rutus.

Please give us a report on how you like it! This is another detector I've been looking at along with the impact and the deeptech warrior.

Back
Top Bottom