Daniel from New Jersey Here

Infamousbulldog

Hello

I am from New Jersey and am just getting into the hobby. Can anyone from NJ tell me what i can and cant do as far as metal detecting goes. Does NJ have laws again it. Any info would help. Also what is a good detector to get? I want to do land and water detecting.
Thank you

Welcome to the Forum from Morris County NJ. Where are you? I usually hunt public town property (parks, curb strips, etc) that is not highly maintained, Board of Education property that is not highly maintained and of course private property with permission. Keep in mind most detector coils are waterproof so you can submerge them. If you want a fully waterproof detector you will spend quite a bit more. Check out Forum threads about the Garret AT Pro. Lots opinions here on the Forum to help you. Good luck. Peace.

Thank you all for the warm welcome... I live in warren county in phillipsburg right by th watergap. Is there any law against detecting the water gap or other rivers in new jersey or PA..

I'm sure if you look up the ordinances for the the towns around there you will find your answer and welcome to the forum.

Hey. The Gap is WAY off limits since it is a National Recreation Area. A lot of the area along the river in PA is also Federal and fields are being excavated professionally for Indian artifacts. Rivers should be OK in NJ town parks. County parks need permission. Keep a low profile, pick up garbage you see/find and leave the place looking like you were never there. Peace.

Back
Top Bottom