do you hunt cemetaries?

shedigz

Elite Member
I think there might be some promise in cemetaries and live a block from one. But I find it disrespctful to hunt them. Does anyone hunt cemetaries?

Those who work there often use detectors to find markers you'll blend right in.

Cemeteries are very personal, private places. A lot of strong emotions, really not very respectful. Think most places have laws regarding removing items from grave sites, I know we do here in Florida. Cemeteries are really more for the living, a place to remember, a place to respect. There are so many other places to hunt, wouldn't even consider being seen detecting one. There may be a parking area, even a picnic area, away from the grave sites, but I still don't think I would take a recreational hobby to such a place. Most of the people who go to visit, usually aren't there to have fun, or in a good mood. Would want to add to anyone's distress. For some, grief takes a long time, a surviving spouse may have left a wedding band at a gravesite, when it's time to move on. Probably quite a few items left in memory, and they should remain where they are at.

First of all, I want the detector that can detect a casket 6 feet down, encased in cement. That being said, we have enough of an image problem without desecrating someone's
Final resting place.

Wear a cloak, bring a huge shovel and spading fork, and do it right in the middle of the day. Works best if you go sometime around Halloween.

Respect the dead

NO, Don't MD cemateries, There right; people will and do get anoid with someone doing a hobby in a grave yard. Let them rest in peace.

This issue has been raised many times on the forum and has courted controversy. There are three camps on the forum. Those who would and don't see a problem! Those who might as long as relevant permissions are granted and those who under whatever circumstances wouldn't! It is a matter of conscience! Archaeologists, it is true, are always digging up the remains of our ancestors. I guess those who would be prepared to dig in a cemetery would only dig to a limited depth? Would I mind if I was buried in the place in question? No, as long as no one ripped the gold rings off of my fingers!:digginahole::fullmoon:

hey now........some of my best finds came from a cemetery :lol:

Attachments

• 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 696
Cemeteries are very personal, private places. A lot of strong emotions, really not very respectful. Think most places have laws regarding removing items from grave sites, I know we do here in Florida. Cemeteries are really more for the living, a place to remember, a place to respect. There are so many other places to hunt, wouldn't even consider being seen detecting one. There may be a parking area, even a picnic area, away from the grave sites, but I still don't think I would take a recreational hobby to such a place. Most of the people who go to visit, usually aren't there to have fun, or in a good mood. Would want to add to anyone's distress. For some, grief takes a long time, a surviving spouse may have left a wedding band at a gravesite, when it's time to move on. Probably quite a few items left in memory, and they should remain where they are at.

That is what I meant when I said disrespectful. I would never do it. I just wanted thoughts on detecting them.

in all seriousness i'd never hunt a big public cemetery but a few years ago I was hunting an old one room school house that my friend had permission, anyway the actual owner stopped by and asked if me and my friend if we would mind detecting his old farm which was up the road, his main request was if we would search an old 1700's cemetery that was on his property fenced in the middle of one of his field, the owner was curious as to what could be found. ta make a long story short, the next day me and my buddy stopped at the guys place and first thing he did was direct us to the fenced area, my buddy was creeped out and only hunted around the outside of the fence, me on the other hand didn't have a problem being inside. this was a small site maybe about 50 X 50 with about a dozen headstones dating from the mid 1700's to the early 1800's. not a lot of targets but mainly chunks of iron from the old fence were found. the main reason I agreed to the hunt was I knew i'd have access to the rest of the homeowners property

Just throwing this little nugget out there.

Suppose a cemetery recently developed a new parcel of adjoining land, cleared it and was going to use it for new burials, but at present, there were no graves at all.

There's a lot near my parents house. I used to live next to a cemetery. Part of some farmland was acquired to be used as a cemetery addition. From what I have heard from city council members (my dad being one of them), they probably won't have any burials there until 2015 when the lot is properly groomed and sodded.

Is there a difference between an empty lot and an empty lot that belongs to a cemetery? Personally, I wouldn't bother because there are better places to hunt in this particular town, way WAY better places. I guess I'm just trying to bring some honest but friendly discussion on the matter. Too many threads like this go south quite fast. It just seems that some take the topic WAY to personal for some reason and it gets ugly.

Ooooo....even better. I know of one cemetery that shares a property line with a city park. Would you search the perimeter of that park knowing it was so close to cemetery property?

How close is too close to the graves (cemetery or not) and is there an acceptable distance from the graves to search?

Back
Top Bottom