Houses built in 1800's?

LeGaCyGiAnT124

Is this a good idea to do? I have been looking through different sites finding different places to detect. Does it sound like a good idea to find houses built in the 1800's, contact the owners, and request permission?

Or should I be focusing more on old schools, church yards, ect. Thanks!!

-Brandon

The more places that you can search, the more finds you will get. That might mean digging through tons of trash to find the good stuff. It is worth it though once you pull up that first good find. 1800's houses are great. Look in the front yards mainly though. That is where the good stuff will be.

I will give it a shot at trying to find old houses first. This one is my first pick. It was built in 1910, has 7 bedrooms, and one bath. Seems like a good place to check out. Looks very wealthy which hopefully means coins!!!

Attachments

• Image001.jpg
    Image001.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 475
I think I will check this out on my way home from work sometime this week....

Attachments

• IMG002.jpg
    IMG002.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 465
you can try the first one but that grass looks like it been well cared for

Is this a bad sign? Are you saying as in the original dirt has most likely been replaced/filled? I am still learning on what to look for when it comes to finding the most goodies.

Ohhh, I get what you are saying. It's worth a shot. This house is abandoned as well, so who knows. I researched a bunch about it. The house is owned by a known lawyer in the area. I will have to give him a call. Worst he can say is no, right?

What do you think about the other spot? It's a closed down Christian Academy that looks to be atleast as old as the 50's if not older. There are no trespassing signs anywhere. Think I could get into trouble for digging/searching the area?

I tried researching online and haven't been able to find anything about this place, so I have no idea who owns it. I would imagine the city?

Think this would be a prime location? I understand you are no expert, and we are all doing this as primarily a hobby, but any advice is appreciated.

You would think there would be something of value at this location. I honestly won't know until I go though. Have to give it a shot. What do you typically use to dig with? Is a little garden shovel efficient?

I would NOT EVEN think about hitting public areas until you have a pinpointer and have perfected your plug filling technique. You need to be super neat in these areas and even more neat on private property. Virtually impossible to neatly hunt without a pinpointer, especially for a newbie.

Not trying to discourage you, just keep you from getting the boot when you do detect these spots.

I would NOT EVEN think about hitting public areas until you have a pinpointer and have perfected your plug filling technique. You need to be super neat in these areas and even more neat on private property. Virtually impossible to neatly hunt without a pinpointer, especially for a newbie.

Not trying to discourage you, just keep you from getting the boot when you do detect these spots.

Is a pinpointer basically so that you are 100% sure something is under the ground so you are not doing for false positives? Does it have different settings as does the metal detector? Please explain Tony. I appreciate the advice buddy.

Is a pinpointer basically so that you are 100% sure something is under the ground so you are not doing for false positives? Does it have different settings as does the metal detector? Please explain Tony. I appreciate the advice buddy.

A pinpointer just buzzes when it gets near metal.

A pinpointer helps you minimize any further digging once you remove the plug by "pinpointing" the target, either in the hole or in the plug.

What happens without a pinpointer? You re-scan the plug or the hole to determine where the target is.

If the target is in the plug, you have to start ripping the plug apart to find the target. There will be cases where you rip the plug to shreds trying to find a target without a pinpointer. You will not be able to restore that ground no matter what you do.

If the target is in the hole, you have to start digging and break up whatever you dig to look for the target. In this case, most likely you will not be able to restore the plug flat.

Of course, if you are in a field or in a spot where there is little or no grass, this does not apply. I'm mainly referring to manicured lawns in parks, schools, and private property.

A pinpointer is also very useful in determining location of shallow targets (less than 3-4"). You can in many cases touch the pinpointer to the ground and get an exact location. You can then cut a slit in the soil and remove the target with minimal disturbance to the ground.

Now the exception to all this is there are some very experienced detectorists out there who are so good that they do not need a pinpointer. Those are few and far between. I'll bet 95% of experienced MDers use a pinpointer.

From my experience folks with nice lawns are nicer people. I have learned to never judge a hunting spot by the quality of the landscaping. The brick mansion built in the 1830s was owned by a "Master Gardner" and she could care less because she understood what cutting a flap would do and that it would not damage anything. Also that grass grows, that's what it does..

I have also targeted "run down" looking places with nothing but weeds and dirt with a dog attached to a chain heavy enough to pull a truck out. This chain was attached to an iron pipe in the middle of the front lawn and the dog had a 40ft mud hole circle around it... There answer.. The dog already does enough damage and they don't want any more..

Places that look like hillbillies live there, I have had the least luck, seems like a bunch of ignorant asshats..

Smaller "middle class" houses seem better to me, they still had money but spent a lot of time outside in the yard..

They are either going to say yes or no...

Moles, I have seen them used both ways.. No, the moles are already causing enough damage... Or.. Sure! You're not going to hurt anything more than the damn moles...

You never know until you ask, you will be surprised...

Is this a good idea to do? I have been looking through different sites finding different places to detect. Does it sound like a good idea to find houses built in the 1800's, contact the owners, and request permission?

Or should I be focusing more on old schools, church yards, ect. Thanks!!

-Brandon

All of the above!

yes to what was said above about pinpointers and proper digging techniques. cheapest pinpointer out there is $16 Centech from HF. not very durable but works till you can afford better quality one. Also look up proper metal detecting/digging techniques on youtube. from popping coins with screwdriver for shallow targets to plug flaps. Main thing is do best to leave no sign you were there and no damage. that obviously hurts the hobby in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom