Offer to share how much with landowner?

Dougmeister

Elite Member
Once you get permission, is there a rule of thumb on how much to offer to share of anything you find?

I.e., do I offer 50/50 up-front, just things that are related to the property, etc.?

Have a meeting today at lunch. Would really appreciate some guidance. Thanks.

I never offer anything and have rarely been asked for anything. Why open up that possibility? Keep it light, and friendly, and they usually just tell you to go ahead.
I can honestly say, if a homeowner wanted half of what I find, I would probably find another house.

If they lost a specific item, that is a whole other story and I would bend over backwards to try to find it, but coins are not something I would split.

I always offer something. It's their house, and it's nice of them to allow me to dig in their yard. In one of my last hunts I found 2 morgan dollars, and 2 peace dollars. Even though he said he didnt want anything, i gave him 1 of the peace dollars.

Since then, I've had terrific luck. i believe in good karma.

Oh, I also offer free computer service if needed, and anything else they find reasonable.

I usually ask if it's been in the family a long time and if so offer to return any family heirlooms ... coins are mine

I've been asked twice to split my finds 50/50, and both times I said thank you anyway and went to the next house. I get that it's their property, and I do believe 50/50 is completely fair, but I also know that there's like a 95% chance that the house next door won't ask for half, so it's not worth it.

I'd be happy to walk away with pictures of anything good I find, since I'm asking permission to hunt, not cart off valuables. I'd imagine that most owners, would understand up front that you expect to keep what you find, and most would what little or none of it, or they would hunt it themselves. I believe most people are curious, and have a sense of adventure. I would certainly show all that was found, and wouldn't get upset if they wanted any or all. Had a fun hunt, found some stuff. You aren't going to get it all in one hunt, so what makes the owner happy, will get you back in for future hunts, and likely open the door with neighbors as well. If the owner is greedy, then there may be no reason for you want to hunt there again, but he has neighbors, and is part of the community. Being respectful is the key to building a positive reputation in the area. Most all the people who are generous enough to let you come on their property to hunt, aren't going to be greedy about the finds. I've only hunt properties where I'd already knew the owners for many years, and unless I hit on a huge valuable, it would be all mine. Really not expecting to get rich, or even feel a need to make money off this, just for fun and adventure. A few pictures to document the finds would be just as good for me. Got enough stuff cluttering my house, pictures are easier to store, than actual trophies...

I've been asked twice to split my finds 50/50, and both times I said thank you anyway and went to the next house. I get that it's their property, and I do believe 50/50 is completely fair, but I also know that there's like a 95% chance that the house next door won't ask for half, so it's not worth it.

1 an a 1/2 silver is better than 1 silver.

I've even offered all my finds up front, why be greedy? The fun is all bout the dig, not the value of a couple petty silver dimes.

I've even offered all my finds up front, why be greedy? The fun is all bout the dig, not the value of a couple petty silver dimes.

sure it's fun to dig, but all of us are out to find cool stuff to keep. If the dig is what it's all about for you, I assume you are running your machine wide open and digging all the nails and foil too?

I'm a pirate. I keep what I find or I don't hunt. I love returning lost items, and will give up a cool find if the spot was good as a thank you, but I'm out looking for goodies to add to my treasure chest. :) :pirate:

sure it's fun to dig, but all of us are out to find cool stuff to keep. If the dig is what it's all about for you, I assume you are running your machine wide open and digging all the nails and foil too?

I'm a pirate. I keep what I find or I don't hunt. I love returning lost items, and will give up a cool find if the spot was good as a thank you, but I'm out looking for goodies to add to my treasure chest. :) :pirate:

Think it's pretty obvious to the homeowner, that you aren't asking, because you like digging up peoples yards. Metal Detecting, is treasure hunting. If a homeowner is generous enough to let you hunt, they are more than likely going to let you keep what you find. There are a lot of greedy people in this world, and you've already met a few, and will meet up with a bunch more. If I was finding good stuff, I'd want to leave on good terms with the owner, so I could return, and hunt some more. Chances are, the neighbor's homes will be good as well. If you do get a greedy homeowner, you can just leave him with his fist full of happiness, and go on to the next house. What are the chances of two unreasonable, greedy individuals living next to each other? The only thing slightly deceptive I do, is not clean anything while on the property, unless the owner really wants to see, or is interested enough to want some of the loot. Just a bunch of dirty junk. If the owner wants some, I just want to get a few pictures. Must people aren't really into dirty, rusty metal, and aren't going to dig around in my finds bucket.

A happy homeowner will let you come back to hunt some more, if you want. A happy homeowner will answer the neighbor's questions, about what you were doing, in a positive way. Wouldn't hurt to leave some business cards for the curious. A few bucks worth of silver would be nice, but it's the adventure and discovery that makes it a fun hobby. You can make good money buying a selling precious metal, coins, without digging.

Yeah, sometimes, you might end up doing a little charity work, but it's something fun, something you enjoy, it's not going to kill you, and it will often open other doors and opportunities.

I never offer any finds. If they stipulate that in the agreement, then I have a decision to make, but I personally never make that offer!:cool:

Sounds like you would mow my lawn for free because you just like to mow...lol

By the way, I'll let you!:lol:

I'm a cherry picker...if offering up all the finds means the difference between hunting a yard or not, it's all about the hunt for me. Besides, most property owners will end up refusing most finds (including oldies), because they are usually uninterested. Been there done that.

BTW, I got into the cherry-picking habit because sometimes a homeowner will give you a set amount of time to hunt...I've hit many yards, and developed that habit by necessity. HH, amc

I knock doors 99% of the time I hunt and I cannot remember the last time I was asked to split finds. Most homeowners give me permission, go inside and never come out again. Once in a great while a homeowner will come back out and ask how I am doing and I tell them and show finds, but not once in 6 yrs has anyone asked to keep anything I have found. i have however gave a few items to people who seemed very interested in a certain item...such as crotal bells, farmers wives seem to love them, and since it is an item I find a LOT of I gladly give them a bell...no big deal. But to give away a silver or large cent, nope not gonna happen. Now I do give kids wheat pennies whenever they are around, simply because wheats are worthless to me, and kids like em.

One of the best door knocking FAQs Terry...

I say the same thing every time and the funny thing is that I went from a big long speech to just a few sentences. Also I only stop at old houses.

Hi, my name is Sean, are you the owner of this property?

(They say yes)

I was wondering if I could have permission to metal detect the property to look for old coins, buckles and buttons and things like that. I like to look for old stuff that was lost long ago. I may

That's usually about it... Short and sweet and to the point. I may compliment the house, but I try to keep it as short as possible.

I've found that the less you say the easier it seems they say yes.

I have never been denied so far, but there were a few times I thought a big no was coming. The old.. Welllllll... I don't knoooooooow.

That is when I tell them I'm respectful of the lawn, I am neat at recovering my targets and you will never know I was there when I am done.

Then they usually say yes.

If they have lost anything and notify you before you detect gie that item back, also modern keys. Tip of advice if you find the prop corner show them where it id if not marked, they will like you for that.

Back
Top Bottom