I didn't see this posted anywhere... major coin hoard found

Are finds taxed in either system, I can't imagine getting a fair shake in NY . Like Tom said the Less the Archies know the better. NY claims to own any gold in the ground.
HH

The answer to that is no, any financial transaction for the purchasing of 'finds' comes from a goverment central fund which in turn comes from tax revenues.(England and Wales only)

I believe treasure troves are taxed in the US...

[URL=http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/27/california-couple-in-10m-gold-find-to-owe-govt-about-half-report-says/]Fox in this news article[/URL]- said:
One couple's gold find could mean a jackpot for the IRS.

The Northern California couple that found $10 million worth of rare, mint-condition gold coins
buried in the shadow of an old tree on their property will likely owe about half the find's
value whether they sell the gold or not.

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that the find is a taxable event under a 1969 federal court
ruling that held a "treasure trove" is taxable the year it was discovered.

"If you find and keep property that does not belong to you that has been lost or abandoned
(treasure-trove), it is taxable to you at its fair market value in the first year it is your undisputed
possession,” the report said, citing the IRS tax guide.

The report says after all is said and done, about 47 percent will go to state and federal tax, or the
top tax rate.

An accountant told the paper that the couple can try to fight the tax and claim it was there when
they bought the property.

$4,700,000 in taxes... Ouch!

Also, I think (not positive, but pretty sure) NY's law about gold (and silver) pertains to raw gold and
silver ore, not coins or jewelry.

GREAT STORY! The main thing I like here, is Britains metal detecting Laws. You can metal detect all over. They do have some restrictions of course. But if you find a true Treasure, the Gov. And top museums have first crack to BUY the Treasure from you. In the USA they work so hard to take Treasure from you.

Back
Top Bottom