• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What's the Most Valuable Coin You Can Actually Dig Up?

Captmonk1

1. Whats the most Valuable coin that people could possibly find Metal Detecting in the United States? Example, maybe one is found every year or every 5 years or something.

2. What is the most Valuable coin that people could possibly find Metal Detecting in the United States that people dig up on a semi regular basis? Example...like a gold coin or something. It's worth a lot and people DO find them every year.

I think the best would be a 1943 copper penny. I doubt though anyone would find any on a regular basis. Out of the 40 or so in existence there might be a chance that a few are in the ground. Talk about your proverbial needle in a hay stack. :grin:

A 1943 copper cent would be almost impossible to find. I'd gladly settle for a 1909S VDB wheat penny, a 1955 D double die wheat penny, or a 1916 D Mercury dime. Heck, I'd settle for any wheatie or Merc right now!

I'm with you on that Treasurekidd, All those finds would be great. You have to admit though finding that 1943 copper would deffinatly be a rush. You're right though finding one would be nearly impossible. Your chances would probably be better at anything else.

Speaking of the 1916 D Merc.

For the first 10 years of my detecting I knew nothing about value. Every 3 months I'd take my wooden box of gold jewelry and silver coins to the local coin dealer and sell them for weight value. I did always keep a written record of my coins.

A few years back I dug out my old records to put them in Finders Keeper and to my surprise I see not 1 1916 D Merc but 2. I also have a few 1909S's and have no idea if they were VDB's.

I have a 1909s Vbd but its in such bad shape that its just about worthless... The ground really killed it..

Who care's about dirt digging anyway... Give me water or give me death :lol:

None of you ever found any Spanish silver or gold, washed up on the beach ?
Now that would be nice :yes:

We're still looking for one of these, the first coin made in New England.

Of course I would love to find a Granby Copper too.

Attachments

• NECOIN.jpg
    NECOIN.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,912
As far as valuable finds go, and something that's actually in the realm of possibility, jewelry is going to be your best bet..I've dug close to 10,000 coins with the most valuable ones worth maybe 20 bucks or so apiece...but I have found a diamond ring... Roadrunner_426

Back
Top Bottom