Permission through flyers

erik1979

I have been thinking about getting permission in a slightly different manner than those before me. I'm sure a few people out there are using this method but I figured I would get the input from you guys on whether you think this is too much or good for what I will be doing.

Many of you are more veteran diggers and have been around the hobby long enough to know how to ask different people the right questions. And a lot of you have ten years on me in age, which really goes a long way when knocking on someone's door. In my opinion, a property owner would be much more likely to let a 30 year old detect their property rather an 18 year old.

So what I've been thinking of doing is making some flyers to hand out to the people at the houses that I go to that explain a little bit about what I do and why I do it, maybe a few short bullet points. This hobby really goes a long way for someone who is studying history and majoring the subject through college. Another thing I'm thinking about putting on there is the code of ethics, and along with this I would like to include some photographs of previously dug finds, and even include some before and after photographs of the holes that I dig, to show the property owner that a detector who knows what he is doing really does not leave a trace. I think that having this flier would help to show that I take this hobby seriously, and would give me some bonus points with a property owner if I show up to their door and hand them the flier while talking to them.

As always, there are going to be those people that are going to say no to you, regardless of what you provide them, but I want to know if you guys think this would be a good idea, or if it is overkill and maybe to just memorize the information and recite it to them. I am just hoping this will help to show that even though I'm young, I'm not reckless toward other people's private property and that once again, I take the hobby quite seriously.

I have also been thinking that I will supply you guys with a few samples of what I would be giving people. The fliers look vey professional, as I make fliers on the side for businesses to bring in some extra cash. :)

See, i used to think that an elaborate plan was necessary to gain permission. However, after my first few door-knocks, i realized that a simple "hi, i've had some success in this area looking for old coins in the ground. Do you mind if i detect your yard?"

i average a 70% success rate when i door knock. I'm 24

ERick,

I would love to hear some of your fliers. I would be thinking about placing it in that persons mailbox and then following up with a knock on the door

ERick,

I would love to hear some of your fliers. I would be thinking about placing it in that persons mailbox and then following up with a knock on the door

How you gonna hear them???
BTW, It is a Federal offense to put anything in anyones mailbox:p
Otherwise, sounds like a good idea with the fliers.

FYI. I printed out about a dozen of the "lost my stuff" Fliers and posted them all over with one of my email accts listed at the bottom for quicker response time for the person who lost something. Got pretty much all of them out. Have seen one or two places that I gave it to and asked permission to put them up (store doorways etc etc) and a few of them have vanished. Doesnt matter much anyways with that stupid show diggers ruining it for us. Makes all of us look like idiots.

Not a bad Idea. Could work if it's done right.

I do bring a small box of stuff I have dug with me when I ask. I leave it in the truck, but if someones on the fence, I offer to show them some of the stuff I have found before to show them I'm legit. I don't show anything great, but a couple indians and some old relics show them what your looking for. That usually seals the deal.

Back
Top Bottom