Old Family Plantation

Armistead

My wife and I went exploring land that's been in her family since 1760's. Her ancestor came from Pa with settlers to Va and started a small community on the North South Rd. His original cabin is on the land restored. He owned a mill, tavern, but mostly planted. In the early 1800's the family built a plantation house that later burned, then built another that is still standing in the woods.

She hadn't been there in 20 years, and the family still there said I could detect where I pleased. Some land once theirs is now owned by others, said I could hunt as well. Well, we got lost several times, driving down dirt roads for miles that seemed to go everywhere, most aren't state maintained and no name.

IMG_0905_zps2f8908ba.jpg

We finally met an old black farmer that gave us directions, "go down, turn left at big cedar tree."

We found the cabin, but sadly that plot was purchased by another man that doesn't live there, just restored it since it's one of the oldest homes in Va. He was there and very nice and spent hours with us talking, letting us in the cabin, my wifes 4xg grandfather built.

Anyway, we found 3 family grave yards riding around. The large one here I thought I would share. It's the 1800's one . Her family keeps it somewhat cleaned up with other neighbors, but a tad grown over. It has family and their slaves buried together. It actually goes deeper in the woods, but numerous simple stones with no writing of the slaves. It was about a 4000 acre plantation at this time. I counted over 40 graves, but didn't know more were deeper in the woods.

IMG_0899_zpsae713575.jpg

IMG_0900_zpscd969975.jpg

IMG_0903_zps4843c644.jpg

We found the standing plantation off a tractor road in the woods, nice large home with columns, but starting to fall in. Her uncle will have to show me where the earlier one burnt down.

Anyway, loads of history here, fairly known historical family, family says it's never been detected.

OH MAN!!! I sure hope you keep us posted. You have just gotten every detectorist's dream site.

Back
Top Bottom