• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Found In Rolls/ Ask About Coins

foundinrolls

The upper left hand corner of the United States
Hi,

In order to have this in the right place...

I had a question about tips on coin roll searching.

One of my sites has a lot of roll finds on it.

http://www.foundinrolls.com

For tips, Another of my sites has "Roll Searchers' Newsletters" Click on

http://www.askaboutcoins.com

Then you can read articles or click on the links to the Newsletters the same way that you can click on the links to the articles.

Thanks,
Bill

We live in a small town and I bought some rolls once from the bank thinking there would be a lot of old coins, or at least one!

But there was none.

I suspect the bank go through them, what do you think?

How many rolls would I most likely have to buy to find a silver coin?

Thanks for the links Bill!! Going thru $40 worth of nickels right now, not much luck.:no:

Carol,

I find stuff in every search I do. I'm not here to push my sites but it helps roll searchers to learn about the different types of things to look for if they look at the stuff that I have there.

There's more to it than looking for old coins and silver:-)

For example, I recently found a scarce coin that is what we call a die variety. Dies are sometimes improperly prepared resulting in doubling of images. When it is something called a doubled die, it is worth bucks. The one I found is a $65.00 coin and that's not bad for a cent:-) It takes some learning about what to look for as there are worthless forms of doubling too.

Most people would overlook those but I thrive on them:-)

As far as silver, that's a hit or miss proposition with the best chances of finding some being in rolls of half dollars. Most people still roll up ALL Kennedy Halves when they cash them in. They don't pay any attention to the dates.

1964 dated Kennedys (Philadelphia or Denver Mint) are made of the same quality silver as the older halves. Kennedys dated 1965 - 1970 are 40% silver and are still worth a premium. 1970 dated pieces are especially nice to find as they were only made for uncirculated sets but they occasionally end up in a roll.

There are some other collector pieces after 1970 that are made in silver also.

Just this past Friday I added a 1964 D and two 1966 Kennedys to the pile. That's roughly $10.00 worth of silver for $1.50.

I don't do dimes or quarters much for the silver but for other things.

There is a lot to look for besides the wheaties:-)

Most banks have a policy that they don't let the tellers dig through the rolls for good stuff. They treat the money as a product and they don't want to tempt employees by letting them "play" with the money.

Also, It doesn't matter what bank you get coins from. I find just as much stuff at banks in old towns as I do in city banks. I also find good stuff at bank branches in supermarkets.

It's a game of numbers. The more you look through and the more you know what to look for, the more you find.

As to how many rolls you have to buy to find silver. The coins I mentioned in this post came out of two rolls that a bank had.

Sometimes you find nothing and sometimes, you find a few coins. Sometimes you get really lucky and hit a ton!

Have Fun,
Bill

Thanks for the info Bill. Much of that I recently read about after purchasing my Red Book. It seems like it could definitely make roll hunting a good way to pass the time. Definitely would take a trained eye though! :yes:

SeabeeRon,

Good Luck! I find that doing nickels offers the best mix of dates. I think you can find more 60+ year old coins in rolls of nickels.

Repunched Mintmarks are a big deal on older nickels. Nickels drive you nuts though as there are some coins that look like doubled dies that are really coins struck by worn dies and they give the same appearance. We call it die deterioration doubling. It's worthless and probably 40% of nickels shows some form of it. You se it a lot on Washington quarters too.

Let me know what turns up in the nickels.

Bill

I suspect the bank go through them, what do you think?

I always told my wife, if I were to work at a bank, I would come home with my pay check in coins...

My sister in law use to work at a bank, and you wouldnt believe what she use to get. Silver dollars, im talking morgans, and peace, then old paper money, silver certs, and blue seals, and the best was Confederate money... Crazy what people use when they get hard up for cash.

Crazy what people use when they get hard up for cash.

And that is exactly what used to happen when I worked at a grocery store. In 2002 when prices started going up, people started paying for stuff with old silver coins. I switched out alot silver coins at customer service, and the office put all the "strange" coins in a jar for me.

Once I heard a teenage "cashier" tell a customer, "We don't accept those coins." She thought the old silver was foreign coins! :shock:

I love a good mystery and so I will sometimes hunt a roll. I hit a roll of halves the other day. Didn't find anything. But I will be trying it again.

Back
Top Bottom