Will coinshooting settings find jewelery?

1967 Tempest

I have been getting better results now that I have kinda learned how to use the MD. The manual has different settings for coins and jewelery.

Coins: All metal/notch at 3
Jewelery: Auto Notch/ Notch at 2

Will I find jewelery with the coinshooting settings? Or should I go back over a spot with jewelery setting?

Thanks!!!

Dave

You don't say what kind of machine you are swinging, but I DO know that with the Ace 250, the coin setting will find you silver jewelry along with coins. You probably won't find gold unless it's a REAL HUNKER, or nickels either, for that matter. If you're looking for gold, you'd do better running in jewelry mode. I hope this helps. : ) Good luck!

Unless you are in all metal you will miss jewelry. small ear rings and thin chains can come in as a high iron signal.

Also some 14k and some silver will come in at 69-70 which is 5 points under a zinc penny on my AT Pro. I get excited when I see 68 to 71 on the VDI now because its almost always a ring or pendant of some kind.

My advice is listen to everything and learn to hear the odd tones that don't fit in with the usual chatter, those tend to be the tickets. Good Luck and HH! :grin:

If you listen to this...

bh.jpg

...and set your disc knob on the 2:00 position like the manual says...

bh2.jpg

you would have missed all of this and much more...

IRON SIGNAL
small chain.jpg

FOIL SIGNAL
silver chains for tesoro.jpg

FOIL SIGNAL
black screen foil.jpg

TAB SIGNAL
black screen tab.jpg

Notch out some iron, maybe put that knob at the 10:00 position...dig everything else including all the trash for your best chance at finding jewelry.

You see!!! This is why I ask!!! I find that the manual s coin-shooting set-up is easy and dead on. But I THOUGHT I might be missing out!!!

Thanks a million!!!

You see!!! This is why I ask!!! I find that the manual s coin-shooting set-up is easy and dead on. But I THOUGHT I might be missing out!!!

Thanks a million!!!

No problem.

If you are digging too much iron like a lot of nails or whatever, and it gets to be a drag, just turn that knob a little higher.
Really small gold like studs and really small chains come in at iron and you might miss those but they are rare and could cost you your sanity with the amount of iron in the ground.

There is a ton of foil out there and that could drive you crazy too, but look at all my foil signal rings and chains.
Tabs are maddening, but the gold gets bigger here, zinc is so prevalent that some guys never dig these, but large gold rings come in here, and so do Indian head pennies.

Evidently the universe enjoys playing this game of making the targets we want the most live in the same neighborhoods as the targets we want the least.

Not funny...not funny at all...but at the end of the day, it is what it is.

Evidently the universe enjoys playing this game of making the targets we want the most live in the same neighborhoods as the targets we want the least.

Not funny...not funny at all...but at the end of the day, it is what it is.

True!!!!:laughing:

I did some hunting on a tot park in the Auto-Notch setting with knob at 10 o' clock. Found more quarters than before. Should I use NOTCH or AUTO-NOTCH?

It seems that they are kind interchangeable after a certain point on the knob.

Sorry if I am making this harder than it is...:laughing:

It appears on notch you can control the amount of disc, auto notch has pre-selected and maybe larger segments it will knock out so it might just get rid of too much.
You may be right in that they might do the same thing and by adjusting the disc knob you get your control, but the manual says there are different tones in each mode so if that is the case, just use the ones with the tones that seem better for you.

Use notch, get rid of some iron, dig everything else.

Back
Top Bottom