Cherry Pickers Anonymous

pballwiz

Hi!
My name is Tom and I'm a cherry picker.
I only did shallow targets if I know it's a quarter.
The e-Trac's ability to accurately display a coin-sized target's depth has helped cause this and continues to enable the bad habit on each hunt.

I do this for various reasons.
#1 Shallow coins seldom old
#2 I am lazy
#3 I don't want to molest the turf of a manicured lawn for a modern coin
#4 I am lazy

Yesterday afternoon I learned a valuable lesson.
While I was hunting a new spot for the first time, I dug modern coins for about two hours. I managed to dig up a couple of wheat pennies but not much of anything else that was old.
Before I left I decided to check one more spot.
Within 5 minutes I had a screamer. The numbers were a little low (12-45) for an obligatory quarter extraction. A 12-45 on my machine is generally the calling card for a silver dime. If it would have been a 12-44, I might have left it. My pinpointer picked it up without breaking ground so this confirmed what I already knew about it being very shallow.
After removing about 2 inches of dirt, I was looking at a 1939 merc which was gleaming in the sunlight.
I've found shallow silver coins in the past. I have even had a couple silver coin surface finds. Less than 10 feet away I rescued an 1895 IHP that down 6-7 inches.
My point to all this is don't be lazy like me.
Please dig all of your shallow coin signals so I have less of a distraction when I hit the spot later with my e-Trac to grab the old deep coins. :D

Attachments

• 20180819_163850.jpg
    20180819_163850.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 272
  • 20180819_163953.jpg
    20180819_163953.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 213
Good post. Good pix.

When I hunt turf @ inner-city parks, I too "cherry pick". I will often skip/pass all mid to low conductors, and anything that is less than 6" deep.

One time, years ago, when getting ready to buddy up with someone in a certain city's old park, I told them of this tactic. THEY BRISTLED at the concept. Saying things like "But you could miss a gold ring !?" And "Sometimes old coins can be shallow !? " And "The clad adds up after all". Blah blah blah.

And at the end of the day, the results were predictable: They had an apron full of clad, corroded zincs, tabs, foil, etc... And a single wheatie or V nickel. I had 8 or 10 early wheaties, a few silver, etc.... Ie.: spanked @ 15 to 1 on oldies.

In their mind's eyes, they were going to get the "best of both worlds" , by digging-all. But in actual reality, it never works out that way, eh ? Perhaps for ghost-townsy or beach hunting, then ... sure.... cherry picking is not in order. But for blighted junky parks, then ... sure.... it can be the time & place to do it.

The etrac is not that great at depth. I often have signals that start as 2 45 but when you get some dirt off of it they jump up to 12 45. I have found that the conductivity number is the only dead on number that can be trusted with the etrac...
Nice finds!

The etrac is not that great at depth. I often have signals that start as 2 45 but when you get some dirt off of it they jump up to 12 45. I have found that the conductivity number is the only dead on number that can be trusted with the etrac...
Nice finds!

I beg to differ 😎 I would trust my Etrac and its abuility to be as good if not the most consistent machine built for cherry picken high conductors .
9 out of 10 times I can tell you the difference between a copper Lincoln, A wheat penny , a clad dime or a silver dime or quarters before I dig .
At depth . In heavy trash and iron it's all sound that tells me to dig .
If you hunt by numbers your going in with both hands tied behind your back . Hunt by sound and check your numbers to give you a good idea of your targets potential.
Dew👍

Back
Top Bottom