Me and my big mouth! What was I thinking?

AlinMN

Elite Member
I found someone on ebay who had some wheat pennies in bags of 2500 and they were going for about $60-$75 per bag so I thought if the dates weren't too bad it would be an ok buy. Got my first bag and they were ok found a couple 1909 vdb's so I bought another bag and got a couple more good dates including a 1924-D in VF condition. All excited I called my lucky silver son in law who always finds silver dimes coin roll hunting and told him about this seller who had a few bags left. So he bid on a couple of the bags of 2500 wheats and got one for $61.00. So today he got it and calls me and I can hear his kids in the background (6, 8 & 11 yrs old, who help him search through dime rolls from the bank for silver) and his kids are screaming another silver! Another Mercury! And I ask what is going on? And he says they opened the bag of wheats and in the first handfull he pulled out there where 4 silver dimes!:gettinmoney: so then they dumped it all out and the kids where pulling all the silver dimes out. They found in addition to an 1909 vdb and some other good dates 93 mercury and roosevelt silver dimes!:doah: Me and my big mouth I should have just bought all the bags for my self! :lol::lol::lol: Oh, well it was fun listening to the grandkids having so much fun finding silver!:exactly:

Amazing that you got that off eBay. Nothing against eBay - I sell on there all the time (not coins) but it is my experience as a buyer of some wheat lots that it has been completely picked clean of any key dates - mostly 40s and 50s. Finding a 1909 vdb is shocking to me!! The people who list their lots as "unresearched"...come on - Who would sell something like that knowing there could be one in there worth big money without going through them?

That was a very rare exception and a incredible bag!! Who has 93 silver dimes in a bag of pennies and sells it on eBay without noticing?

Amazing that you got that off eBay. Nothing against eBay - I sell on there all the time (not coins) but it is my experience as a buyer of some wheat lots that it has been completely picked clean of any key dates - mostly 40s and 50s. Finding a 1909 vdb is shocking to me!! The people who list their lots as "unresearched"...come on - Who would sell something like that knowing there could be one in there worth big money without going through them?

That was a very rare exception and a incredible bag!! Who has 93 silver dimes in a bag of pennies and sells it on eBay without noticing?

Who would sell something like that? Someone who has many associates going around the country advertising in newspapers telling people to bring their coins and antiques to a hotel room to get them appraised. Then they buy millions of coins for a fraction of what they are worth. Then they poor them in a machine that counts them into bags. Oops someone dumped some dimes in the machine when the wheat penny bag was underneath!:lol: "Oh well, we don't have time to pick them out, its happy hour at the hotel bar!:wine2:" Then the bags are sent back to the warehouse where another "new" associate lists them on Ebay and made a spelling mistake in the listing.:yes: I find the associates listing with the mistakes and I start buying the bags since they sold for less than normal. They buy so many lots of coins they don't have time to search them all. Here are just a few coins I cherry picked from lots I have bought on Ebay.

Attachments

• cherry picks.jpg
    cherry picks.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 380
I agree, I have found Flying Eagle,Barber and Merc, 1909 V.D.B indians with all lettering,and The first bronze Indians,of course tons of plain wheats....but thats hunting, somtimes you win, alot of time you lose.......dosnt mean you shouldnt try....lifes short, and yes if you find a good seller.... get all you can:cool:

I have a feeling that there will be alot more truly unsearched copper out there with the guys running tons of pennies to separate out copper vs zinc pennies. If you sorted literally tons of pennies i doubt they are checked very well before being sold in bulk....

Back
Top Bottom