Another Token Of some sort

pballwiz

While I was putting away a token I found today, I saw one I found last year and completely forgot about.
Has George Washington on the front.
Slightly bigger than a quarter.
I remember when I dug it last year I almost had a heart attack. Thought it was an old draped bust cent.
Any ideas what this thing is or what it's worth ?
Thanks guys!

George-Front.jpg

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab111/tstocka/George-Back.jpg

I know what it's not

Your item has surfaced a few times over the past decade or so, and nobody's really ever been able to figure out what it is. But I know what it's not. I can tell you with virtual 100% certainty that it's not a Shell Oil "Mr. Presidents Game" token. I had the complete aluminum AND brass set when I was a kid, so I know.

This was a game from back in the very late '60s by the Shell Oil Co., and the idea was that every time you spent X dollars for gas, you got an aluminum token with a president on it (http://cgi.ebay.com/SHELLS-MR-PRESI...588?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf6b73244). The back clearly said it was a Mr. President Coin Game Token. Then when you collected them all, you collected the brass ones, which were slightly different than the aluminum ones but were very *similar* to your item on the reverse, but nowhere near the front (http://cgi.ebay.com/Seven-Coins-She...57?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2eb1dfbbd1) -- matter of fact, the brass Washington one is in that photo and it's nowhere near yours (click on the main photo to enlarge it, George is the second on the left).

I also know it's NOT a coin. Those are well-documented.

I wished I knew what it was. It does look to have some age to it. Is there anything on the back?

Another Token Of some sort - SOLVED!

So after 6 years, I have stumbled upon the answer to my mystery George Washington Token :)
http://collections.si.edu/search/results.htm?q=record_ID:nmah_1382265
From the Smithsonian website:
"This token was made by the Scovill Manufacturing Company of Waterbury, Connecticut during the early 20th century. Scovill was established in 1802 as a button manufacturer and is still in business today. Scovill was an early industrial American innovator, adapting armory manufacturing processes to mass-produce a variety of consumer goods including buttons, daguerreotype mats, and political tokens.
Obverse: Bust of George Washington facing right. Legend: 1ST PRESIDENT, U.S.A./ 1789/ 1797/ GEORGE WASHINGTON.
Reverse: "AMERICAN FABIOUS"/ "FATHER OF HIS COUNTRY"/ FIRST IN WAR FIRST IN PEACE FIRST IN THE HEARTS OF HIS COUNTRYMEN SERVED EIGHT YEARS AS PRESIDENT WITHOUT PAY."

Attachments

• GW_token.jpg
    GW_token.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 351
  • GW_Token2.jpg
    GW_Token2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 294
So after 6 years, I have stumbled upon the answer to my mystery George Washington Token :)
http://collections.si.edu/search/results.htm?q=record_ID:nmah_1382265
From the Smithsonian website:
"This token was made by the Scovill Manufacturing Company of Waterbury, Connecticut during the early 20th century. Scovill was established in 1802 as a button manufacturer and is still in business today. Scovill was an early industrial American innovator, adapting armory manufacturing processes to mass-produce a variety of consumer goods including buttons, daguerreotype mats, and political tokens.
Obverse: Bust of George Washington facing right. Legend: 1ST PRESIDENT, U.S.A./ 1789/ 1797/ GEORGE WASHINGTON.
Reverse: "AMERICAN FABIOUS"/ "FATHER OF HIS COUNTRY"/ FIRST IN WAR FIRST IN PEACE FIRST IN THE HEARTS OF HIS COUNTRYMEN SERVED EIGHT YEARS AS PRESIDENT WITHOUT PAY."

They made those for a few different presidents. I found a Zachary Taylor one commemorating the war of 1812 and the Mexican war. Found it was scolvil manufacturing but I still couldn't get a date on it.

They made those for a few different presidents. I found a Zachary Taylor one commemorating the war of 1812 and the Mexican war. Found it was scolvil manufacturing but I still couldn't get a date on it.

Does yours have all the wear that my GW coin has? Just wondering how a token like that would get what looks like heavy circulation wear.

Does yours have all the wear that my GW coin has? Just wondering how a token like that would get what looks like heavy circulation wear.

Yeah that's the odd thing. The front of mine is in wonderful condition but the back is almost completely smooth and it had a ton of writing on it like yours.
deb3218e1b91fff74c1b4ff9c296408b.jpg
2eb554c54af6bcf73e943519eb2cb5c2.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that's the odd thing. The front of mine is in wonderful condition but the back is almost completely smooth and it had a ton of writing on it like yours. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Ha! I think I found yours. Yours appears to be made than a different alloy than mine. Evidently yours was made in the 30's and was a Cracker Jack Prize of some sort.
[url]http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1382258[/url]

This coin was made by the Scovill Manufacturing Company of Waterbury, Connecticut during the 1930s. The Scovill Company was established in 1802 as a button manufacturer and is still in business today. Scovill was an early industrial American innovator, adapting armory manufacturing processes to mass-produce a variety of consumer goods. These coins could be mailed to Cracker Jack to become a Mystery Club member.
Obverse: Bust of Zachary Taylor facing left. Legend: 12TH PRESIDENT, U.S.A./ 1849-1850/ ZACHARY TAYLOR.
Reverse: Legend: "OLD ZACH"/ "HERO OF MEXICAN WAR"/ JOIN CRACKER JACK MYSTERY CLUB SAVE THIS COIN/ THE CRACKER JACK CO. CHICAGO, U.S.A.

Looks super similar the date is in a different place though. I found this one that looks like the date is in the same spot but there's no information. Yours is so much more worn it must be a different metal.
5baa8d277bfa2f5e62fa2558e67c04d9.png

I'm not sure if they have any value but I think they're pretty neat!

Looks super similar the date is in a different place though. I found this one that looks like the date is in the same spot but there's no information. Yours is so much more worn it must be a different metal.
I'm not sure if they have any value but I think they're pretty neat!

Yeah, I think you nailed it. Mine looks like it has more copper in it than yours.

Yeah I about crapped my pants when I dug that thing. Thought I had some real old valuable coin. Better than digging a pulltab though, right ? ;)

Me too!! I thought I had some neat old coin that I'd never seen before lmao! I found a shell mr president game token a few feet from it and thought I had a nice piece of silver until I picked it up... aluminum! Damn. Still neat tokens with a cool story behind them. Definitely better than pull tabs!!

Scovill manufacturing also made hard luck tokens. I have a Van Buren-Webster one they did in 1841. Has a ship sailing on one side and a ship on the rocks on the other.

Back
Top Bottom