How deep before you give up?

pballwiz

How far do you dig before you give up on a signal?
I throw in the towel when I'm elbow deep (and I've got pretty long arms).:D

I asked myself that question before .It has happened to me dig and dig and nothing. good post

I "have" dug down to a foot, but in this rocky soil we dig in around here, depending on how tired I am, the weather (how hot humid it is) the location or how good the tone sounds decides how deep I'll dig a particular target.

IN this rocky soil, in many instances if it's 10-12 inches deep, I may be inclined to walk on...not always, but in some instances, if I dont have the target after 8 inches, I'm not digging to china... besides that I have NEVER dug a deep coin past 9 inches around here in my county. Are they down there? I bet they are, but I am not gonna kill myself diggin for a "chance" it's not just another piece of a deep rusty bucket like all the others were.

With the soil being so rocky, my train of thought is that coins probably don't sink past the rock layer anyway.

In general, if the target indicates silver I'll go to town diggin that is if the hunidity isn't at 324% like it usually is...lol

Nectar has a good point about the type of soil, if it is hard and rocky then likely coins will not have sunk as deep as it might in rich loam farmland type soil.

I definitely might be reluctant to dig this deep though unless I had a treasure map :laughing::laughing::laughing:
deep_treasure.jpg

Would all depend on where I was detecting., and if I thought there was the possibility of finding something worth digging for.

Probably no deeper than the top soil. Sub soil is likely to be too hard for anything "lost" to have gone into, that is, if it is deeper, it is likely there "on purpose" and likely a utility. I have no desire to stab a shovel or digger into a current carrying wire, cable, fiber optic cable, or pipeline of any kind!

I once chased a really good signal down 16"........then I noticed that i was right next to two electrical distribution boxes that had conduit going into the ground.. Decided that discretion was the better part of valor.
:nah:

Depends where I am. At a beach I dig until I find the target, no matter how deep it is. A few weeks ago I dug about 2ft for a bloody can!

At parks I usually dig until I get the target. If it's more than 10 or 11 inches, I usually leave it for another time. Coins rarely end up that deep over here anyway.

If my depth meter on the machine gives a number, and I reach that number and my TRX or Carrot pointer don't get a signal...I quit.

Funny at the mention of China... I will on occasion, when I'm digging deeper than I want to be and start suspecting a big chunk of rusty iron or aluminum can, say, "well I'm not digging to china today." And call it off. In the sand it's different, usually.

cant say the precise inches down i go before giving up, but will say, now that ive been using a etrac for 2 years, ive learned to go another couple inches before giving up!!:yes::yes:

Unless I'm in an area of CW activity, I give up when I realize that the coil isn't big enough to avoid that 1968 Buick buried 10 foot down!

earlier this year I dug over two foot on an old road bed on my property. The signal ended up being an old cast iron kettle with the bottom missing.. probably why it was discarded

Funny at the mention of China... I will on occasion, when I'm digging deeper than I want to be and start suspecting a big chunk of rusty iron or aluminum can, say, "well I'm not digging to china today." And call it off. In the sand it's different, usually.

:laughing::laughing: I do exactly that too! :lol:

I usually dig way too deep when it's a hunk of junk. Once the lightbulb goes on in my head that I'm chasing some big piece of iron or another smashed up beer can I'll check it by resetting my pinpointer to a couple inches then if I lose the signal I chalk it up to being "had" again by a sweet sounding junk signal and fill in the hole, then go do it all over again on the next good sounding signal. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom